• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"vintage" style scopes... Any firsthand experience?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Ok... so I have an invite to deer hunt in Ohio this fall. I keep "not having time" to go at home, so am just going to take a week off and immerse myself in deer season this year. No distractions.

From what I am told, the rules have changed in Ohio (vs. when I lived there) so now you can use straight-walled rifle cartridges, not just shotguns. Which is perfect, as I want to bring my Sharps 45/70! But I'd also like to put a 'vintage' period style scope on it. My concern is either that these old style long tube scopes are not practical or not durable. Obviously, this would not be for 'snap shots' in brush, but for watching the edges of fields and for working areas where I have long shots available. I tend to stand hunt and wait for my shots.

A couple of options are to find one of the old "Navy Arms" brass tube repro scopes that have been out of production for a few years. They show up on eBay a lot. they are inexpensive, but not sure if they are sealed, nitrogen-filled, weather-proof, etc. They look 'all show' and 'no go.' But maybe I am wrong.

sharpsscope2_zps8be01ad2.jpg

The other option is one of the Dixie replicas of the William Malcolm scope. These are period style, but have all the modern bells and whistles. It comes with a Sharps mount.

sharpsscope1_zps06ae3ed3.png

Also available in this form from OpticsPlanet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherwood...431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5afd86ad1f

Anyone have any personal experience with either? Or any recommendations?

BTW, I don't "need" a scope for this rifle or this hunt. It has a nice ladder sight that I am comfortable using out to any distance at which I'd take a clean shot. I just think one of those old scopes would be a lot of fun and I have always wanted one... this is an excuse. But I don't want it to be a handicap, either. I plan on also bringing a backup rifle with open sights on it, so will have an open sight option as well.

Just wondered if any of you guys with Schutzen, Sharps or other 'pumpkin slinger' rifles had any thoughts.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last edited:
Hi, your best bet is the Leatherwood copy of the Wm Malcolm 3/4" tube 6x 18 inch length scope shown here: Winchester187345lc3_zpsb4bff57a.jpg They are $279
from Buffalo Arms. It mounts on two Unertl type bases. The long Malcolm scope that you show is fairly complicated to mount...requires a special plate that sometimes comes with the scope and sometimes must be bought separately...depends on who you buy it from...I also have one of the long Malcolm's like you show.

vintage scopes

Thanks. I build custom guns and like scheutzen and target rifles. The gun above is an Uberti replica of a Winchester 1873. I did the stock work in 3x fancy walnut and put a case hardened small swiss plate on it. It has a 30 inch barrel in .45LC. The gun was originally a straight stock and I bent the tang and lever to fit the pistol grip. I stippled the stock, rather than checker it, and used a classic Winchester pattern. Below is a Marlin Ballard that I built. The scope is an original Sidle out of Philadelphia ca 1880. The mounts are later Winchester A5.
101e50f0-394e-442f-bb66-2fea76818a31_zps0e9f3443.jpg

Last edited:
Visit Montana Vintage Arms web site and look at the short scope they make . Most of the import stuff really isn't near the quality . Arnie

sirhrmechanic,

I might say... you look as snobby as ever in that dapper avatar of yours.

That said, (most succinctly, I think) I agree with the Leatherwood option as the most useable and doable choice. The come pretty much ready to be mounted on most 'period' type rifles.

if you have the time, money and wish to do so, there are a number of scopes you can get your hands on before deer season and then you will have to find mounts. Not always as hard as it seems. Fecker and Unertl 'societies' frequently have access to one or two members that can get you an oddball base/ring to work with. I came across a guy who personally collected bases/rings for just such a day when the youth of America would return to the rifle ranges and take up shooting in a strong way again. It seems to me this guy was referred to me by the Savage company when I was looking for something for my 1899.

Last edited:
sirhr-

Montana Vintage Arms...their copy of the A5 Winchester scope. Excellent glass, selection of reticules, super quality and great warranty. Nothing else short of original production comes close. Fairly compact for hunting as well.

Steve

Good luck with the leather wood .Two of my friends have them and have had trouble with screws and other parts made soft . MVA is the best quality out there and probably better than an old Unertal or Lyman .

The leatherwood mounts are known to be the weak link by guys using the Leatherwood Unertl 8X replica. Many have switched to Steve Earle mounts on their rigs. He may make something for your newly ordered scope...

scope blocks

make sure you change all the hardware the screws have been notoriously soft.

Thanks all... I'll replace the screws! Appreciate that tip!

I liked the Montana scopes, but they are 2x+ the price and while I usually don't skimp on optics, the Leatherwood's got good reviews for hunting use. For heavy BP shooting and competition, the MVA's are preferred! If I have fun with this scope, I may splurge and buy the MVA. I'll see if the mounts hold on the range and, again, appreciate the tip on the Earle Mounts!!! It's got to hold well enough for clean hunting shots, so I expect I'll spend lots of quality time with it this fall making sure it holds true.

Just by way of update... I got the scope. I rather like it. It focuses well after some fiddling. It's not a USO for sure... But for a fun Ohio deer hunt I think it will be fine. Reminds me of the cheap Tasco scopes I used to put on my deer rifles as a kid. The blocks supplied by Optics Planet are for a round barrel rifle, but flat blocks can be had for an octagon barrel. I'll put it on a round barrel rifle rather than take the tangent off my Octagon Sharps. More to follow.

Cheers,

Sirhr

So finally found a free few hours to mount the scope...

I ended up having to put it on my Octagonal Barrel Sharps. The standard blocks were not going to allow the scope to clear the hammer... not by a long shot.

So bought a sharps mounting kit which includes an angled block that screws onto the receiver. It's designed for a Shiloh Sharps, not my IAB Italian rifle. So I ended up doing a lot of fabricating... basically all the screws I made from scratch. I even made the barrel screws, choosing 3BA (British size) as the best strength/thread.

The mounting was anything but easy! The rear mount required significant bending to center. The front mount required me to 'stack' two dovetails. And machine one dovetail made for a round barrel flat... But the resulting mount is solid as can be. Scope is aligned nicely. And my two test shots after bore-sighting both hit right where I wanted them to.

I'll get a range report in the next few days! And pictures!! But I am happy with the results, even if the mounting was a serious bit of machine shop work.

Cheers,

Sirhr