• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vintage U.S. marked 40x***Finished***

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    I'm restoring this vintage U.S. marked Remington 40x .22lr. Before re-finishing the stock I wanted to accuracy test it to see if I needed to pillar bed and glass the stock. This is an older 40x stock that has the barrel bedding screws in the forend. I backed those out and put the action in the unbedded sock. I snugged the action screws right into the wood. Put an old redfield 3200 on and used RWS R50 at 50yds. The accuracy was incredible. Makes you wonder about bedding. The barrel is medium weight with just a flat crown. This rifle was probably shooting slightly larger than bullet diameter...I can't hold that well so the groups were measuring about .20 to .375. Shown is an uninterrupted string of five shot groups. I am going to sell this gun at a very reasonable price if anyone is interested or would like something special done to it.
    DSCN3531.JPG

DSCN3533.JPG

DSCN3532.JPG

DSCN3534.JPG

DSCN3536.JPG

DSCN3537.JPG

DSCN3538.JPG

DSCN3539.JPG

Last edited:
    sweet looking piece , good luck on fixing it up would love to see the pics when your done looks like its going to be a lot of fun .

I have found phenomenal accuracy with quality ammo and no bedding in all my 40x's. The important thing with rimfires is consistency so for that reason alone I would bed esp if doing a full restore.

Beautiful rifle tho.

Regards
    DT

Watching with interest. This would sit nice with the M44US, and the US marked Winder Musket.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    Buy from BW with confidence! I got several pieces from him (and vice versa) and always got better than he described them.

Sirhr
    That gun already looks promising as is. I’m a no frills kinda guy, performance is my marker. Pretty things come and go, but still nice to have some pretty in the safe.

Is anyone still converting these 40Xs to repeaters? I have a US marked one in a A5 stock that I purchased for just such a project not long before the release of the Vudoo.

So, what are the triggers on these. I had a Rem 541X (.22 sized action, not 700) and loved it...except for the trigger which was not adjustable.

Same trigger as the Rem 700, the rimifire 40x's have a different sear, the bigbore 40x's interchange with all 700's.

I made a mistake in the price listed here in vintage. The price listed in the classifieds is the correct price, slightly higher than what was listed here.

I won the Texas All Star rifle 3 position small bore match in 1972 and 1973 with a rifle almost just like that one. Loved it.

Reactions: sandwarrior