• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing vinyl cutter......help

hero's machine

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2011
E. WA
I want a vinyl cutter for stencil cutting. Any you advise or can suggest I run from? I don't expect to do much other than stencils.

Thanks.

Re: vinyl cutter......help

I used to cut stencils with an xacto stylus, but I'm interested in hearing what others are using.

I havent used one but, while researching stencils I found something called a stencil burner, i'm still fuzzy on how they work. I was looking to buy some adhesive backed vinyl material and cut out my own designs. I tried blue panters tape and it worked okay, but when I put the metal in the oven for 2 hours at 350 degrees, the tape gave off a really bad smell and left a sticky residue that is really hard to get off.

In the oven for 2 hours at 350 is not how one operates when using stencils on heat cured items. They do however make a high heat tape that one can use if desired. Btw, Roland is a vinyl cutter and a damn fine one at that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the oven for 2 hours at 350 is not how one operates when using stencils on heat cured items. They do however make a high heat tape that one can use if desired. Btw, Roland is a vinyl cutter and a damn fine one at that. </div></div>
Do you have a good source for the high heat tape?
When you utilize stencills for a design and a paint that requires heat curing, do you remove the stencills prior to baking? One last question, does Roland have a website?

V/R
Jason

Avery yellow Hi Bake is made for baking.

For non baking I recommend Oracal 810 or Oracal 813.

I use a Vinyl Express plotter and Mutoh printer/plotter daily.

Look for powder coat suppliers for high heat tape. I got mine from Summit Racing. You can find it on Ebay as well.

You can leave it on during the baking phase, no problem. Once you're done, it peels right off.

Don't know about the vinyl cutters.

Mike

My brother has been using a Roland for YEARS. I myself, have a Graphtec. both are top of the line vinyl cutters. These are usually the two brands most sign shops get and use for a reason. They last.......and remember, your not going to just be buying a cutter and running with it. You'll also be looking at the cutting software that comes with it.......I held off from buying a cheap one and just kept saving to buy a quality one and have never had any regrets.