• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Viper barrel vice owners

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Is this barrel vice good enough to to break factory Remington and tikka barrels free?
    I’ve seen some that really take some beating on to get off, just wanted to see if anyone’s had this vice work for them before ordering.

I have loosened several factory Remington and Tikka barrels, as well as on older M70 barrel with my viper vice and a strip of leather.

The M70 was by far the toughest and required some heat as well as percussive assistance on the action wrench, I should have put it in a lathe and relieved the shoulder. The vice took the abuse just fine.

I’ve had mine for years. Taken many factory barrels off, including Rem and Tikka. Where and how you mount it is definitely as important as the vice itself, if not more so.

Have never had any issues with clamp force. A piece of leather or some rosen can help for really stubborn barrels but generally not needed.

I have found that a breaker bar and a deadblow will get Tikka barrels off no problem. Give it a whack in the tightening direction to break it loose, and then go back the other way. Should come right off.

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven
    I broke my viper trying to get a factory Rem barrel off. Had 2 others that wouldn’t budge either.

To be fair my Short Action Customs vise wouldn’t break them either. There is not enough straight cylinder on the factory continue for the SAC to get a full seat.

I broke my viper trying to get a factory Rem barrel off. Had 2 others that wouldn’t budge either.

To be fair my Short Action Customs vise wouldn’t break them either. There is not enough straight cylinder on the factory continue for the SAC to get a full seat.
    They have a lifetime warranty.

I ordered one tonight

I bought a Viper Barrel Vise and used it to remove a barrel on a tikka a few months ago. It wasn't easy at first and I did scratch the factory barrel a little in the process (even using leather). Being a novice, I didn't really know how much to tighten down the vise so the first few attempts resulted in the barrel slipping a bit. Cranked it down really tight and everything came apart with some significant effort.

I didn't have to use a hammer or anything. I used a Wheeler action wrench with it.