• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Viper PST 4-16x50 or 6-24x50? Help!

Huskyfever03

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2008
PNW
I am venturing into the world of magnified optics and have decided to give the vortex viper pst a shot after reading threads on here for weeks.

This will be going on my MWS and is really the first optic I've owned that's been more than 1-4. My budget is $1000 for a scope and mount and have access to a 1000 yard range. Probably won't be taking it that deep yet as I'm a beginner, but it's nice knowing I could. I want the MRAD, but am not sure if I want FFP or SFP. Leaning towards FFP though. I'm not rolling in dough here, so I'd rather not regret making a wrong choice.

Which scope do you guys think is best for me?

Re: Viper PST 4-16x50 or 6-24x50? Help!

With that platform, I'd go the 4-16. IMO, 6-24 seems like too much magnification to me. I'd like to put a 4-16 on my bolt gun.

I read somewhere that the 6-24's are sharper, but I'm not stating that as a fact. I am just repeating what someone else wrote. It is worth investigating before making your purchase though.

I'm of the philosophy of: "it's always better to have more magnification than you need and not use it than to not have enough." I have the 6-24x FFP and have been EXTREMELY pleased with it! The 24x is very nice for bench work, load development, ranging by mils, and just a host of other things. The beauty of a variable power is you choose what magnification you use for a given scenario. I believe there is only a $50 price difference between the 4-16x and the 6-24x and IMO that is $50 well spent for the extra magnification.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xdguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read somewhere that the 6-24's are sharper, but I'm not stating that as a fact. I am just repeating what someone else wrote. It is worth investigating before making your purchase though. </div></div>
I remember reading the same thing. It was several reviews from when they first came out, and not sure if they fixe that by now but at the time it was decided that it was definitely better glass on the 6-24 even though vortex said they used the same glass.

I'm with Bunsen. You can dial a 24x scope down to 16x but you can't dial a 16x scope up to 24x
wink.gif

I have seen and looked through both and both are nice. I just like having more power if I need it. That's why I have 5-25x scopes on my rifles. I have never been to the point where I got down to 5x and said I wish I had 4x or 3x but when I used to have a 3.5-15x there were times I wished I had more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with Bunsen. You can dial a 24x scope down to 16x but you can't dial a 16x scope up to 24x
wink.gif

I have seen and looked through both and both are nice. I just like having more power if I need it. That's why I have 5-25x scopes on my rifles. I have never been to the point where I got down to 5x and said I wish I had 4x or 3x but when I used to have a 3.5-15x there were times I wished I had more.</div></div>

+2 Go with more power.

I just spent the entire time at the range at 24x. I don't regret one second the decision to go with the 6-24x. I've also practiced finding targets quickly at 6x for quick deer shots, if there are ever any, at home. That's the only concern I have.

When I made my decision to buy a PST, I went back and forth between the 4-16 and 6-24. I finally decided on the 6-24, for the reasons already mentioned. The extra magnification can't hurt, it can only help.

I'm super pleased with my 4-16 FFP mil, but I do want a little more mag for the bolt gun it currently rests on.

I have both of them and their both equally sharp. The review your talking about was with the SFP version of the 4-16 not the FFP version.
I bought the 6-24 after the 4-16 because I also wanted more magnification for my bolt gun.
Now the 4-16 is in a Bobro mount that goes on my AR when I feel like working on groups with more magnification than my Comp M4.
The 4-16 does give you more elevation in the trade off for less magnification.
Their both great scopes from a fantastic company and really it just comes down to what will fit your needs.

Well the Vortex PST 4-16 was reported to be a little less in image quality then the 6-24. I would go with a 6-24. If you are planning on shooting 1000 yards you will realize that you will want to shoot farther in which case a 6-24 will suit you better.

Aron-

I received my 6-24 two days ago in the mail, it looks sweet so far. I have been working too much OT to do anything with it. I also have to decide on a base I want, I decided to go with the Burris Extreme Tactical Rings. Can't wait to try it out!