• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Viper PST 6-24 SFP

Triman2008

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2009
N42.50.65 W85.37.78
Good afternoon all,

I hope everyone's holiday and new year went well. With that in mind I decided to treat myslef with new optics. I pulled the trigger on a Viper PST 6-24 SFP. Currently I have a Konus M30 8.5-32 on my rifle, but wanted something will a little lower mag, and hopefully better glass. I am hoping that I will not be dissapointed in my purchase.

Does anyone have any inside info on the glass for the Vortex? How much of a difference am I going to see? Anything helps....Thank you all.

Eric

Re: Viper PST 6-24 SFP

I don't have first hand experience with the PST's but I have had a few other vipers and the glass is better in them than my leupy VXIII LR. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Steve

Very good. I have looked through my buddies Mark II 4-16 and it was a little cleaner than my Konus M30. Things are looking up in the optics department. Thanks Steve.

I have the PST 4-16, I love it! I've heard so many differing opinions about particular brands of glass though, that I would say you'll have to be the judge when you get it. I think mine looks just as good as my MkIV scopes, I'll bet you will be very happy with it.

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 SFP, Mil Dot...I also have a Razor and multiple Leupold MK4's. I find the Viper a great value for that price range and the glass is good; not quite a MK4 in clarity but it is pretty close. I find it to be very clear throughout the magnification to 20 power and it does not lose any clarity. I am looking forward to buying a Viper PST soon and will be curious to see if the glass is equal to or a little better than the SFP Viper.

I would recommend the scope to my friends that are looking for a scope in the 400 dollar range.

Has anybody order a PST scope recently and received yet? I order mine about 2-3 weeks ago and I'm just starting to wonder if any of the suppliers have them yet?

hey triman, I in about the same boat as you. I ordered a vortex viper pst 4-16 mil mil ffp about 2-3 weeks ago. In fact, I dont think that the suppliers have them yet. I talked to SWFA this morning and they said "Vortex keeps saying that we should be getting them in soon." They told me that I could expect about 2-3 weeks. However, this is really not bad seeing as they do have to supply the whole country with something that is it in fairly high demand and they plan to have it done within a month of the release date. I guess we will have to wait and see.

in terms of the glass quality while i have not looked through them directly, I have a link that compares a Viper pst, a leupold, and a nightforce F1. I would have to say that the nightforce won but by surprisingly narrow margins. However this is to expected as the F1 is $1350 more than the PST. In terms of the Leupold vs the PST, i would say that based off of these pictures i almost prefer the PST over the leupold. They certainly look at least equal. Heres the link so you can check in out yourself.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/vortex-viper-pst-ffp-1-10mil-4-16x-review-58400/

I just received my PST 1-4 and I am floored by the quality of the glass. I have a 4-16 Viper and it's great glass, but the PST glass is better yet. I haven't looked through it side by side with my Nightforce NXS, but it's the only thing I can reasonably compare it to off hand. Very nice glass. Just need my 30mm rings to come in now to put it through it's paces.

good to know. With all this good press from the lucky few that have gotten their PSTs im really excited to see mine when it comes.

Didnt Vortex themself post in a thread that the glass in the Viper PST is the same as in the normal Viper?

Where did you read that Vortex is using the same glass?

That link was helpful. Thanks for that. I sure wish I would just save some more pennies and get the NF!!! Couldn't beleive how clear that was.

I stopped by Vortex in Wisconsin a few days ago. They said that if I ordered the PST 6-24 today, I would see it in late Feb.

I asked them about the PST glass vs the viper, and the guy I talked to said that the PST was better glass. That being said, I only looked through the PST so I can't vouch for that. I did get a chance to compare the new PST turret to the old design and the new one is much more positive.