• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Viper PST 6.5 x 20 x 50 FFP or NOT

chadm

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2011
Sorry guys I am new to this site and already know this has been talked about a ton, but I am looking for a little bit of input. I am looking at getting the Viper PST 6 x 24 scope. I am not sure if I should go for the FFP or the SFP. I am going to put it on a 700 SPS tactical in .308. The main purpose for this rifle will be 100 to 1000 yards paper and steel. This will be my first higher end scope, and I really do not want to make the wrong decision. I do understand the difference, but am not sure what it will mean for me. Also, would a 20moa base be the best choice for me? Thank you very much for any input you can give me!

Re: Viper PST 6.5 x 20 x 50 FFP or NOT

I recently got on the FFP bandwagon.
I have a Vortex 4-16ffp mounted and a 6-24ffp on its way.
I also have a Weaver 4-20ffp and had a 3-15ffp.

I like the idea of the measurement always being the same with ffp. the idea that i had going into it was the crosshair would cover the entire target. not true.

I doubt i helped at all nor did i give a bunch of reasons but in short. I like FFP.

I like FFP because no matter what the power you have your glass set on, all your holds for wind, movers and elevation remain the same. I use holds a lot instead of dialing adjustments, and in order to hold you have to have your scope set on (usually) max power if you have a SPF. In that case, why have a variable scope at all?

Depends on how soon you want it, too. If you want something now or in the next weeks, the only similar alternative is a Bushnell 6-24x50 FFP mil/mil. I've got a few and am happy with them. I also have a Viper on order (since March 10) but I can't comment on the quality of it (other than what I played with at SHOT) since I HAVEN'T GOTTEN IT YET!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en - Snipershide Google Search.... use it </div></div>

Why bother even posting if you're not going to help, waste of your time, and the OP's time. We all understand that there is a search feature, and a majority of us use it. Sometimes searching isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, and sometimes after searching I am worse off....as in there is information overload and its sometimes hard to process it all. We all have the right as registered users to post a question, if you don't want to help than why post anything at all, just carry on and say nothing.

That said I was kind of wondering the same thing, Outdoorsman maybe you could help with mil/mil or moa/moa which should I get?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry guys I am new to this site and already know this has been talked about a ton, but I am looking for a little bit of input. I am looking at getting the Viper PST 6 x 24 scope. I am not sure if I should go for the FFP or the SFP. I am going to put it on a 700 SPS tactical in .308. The main purpose for this rifle will be 100 to 1000 yards paper and steel. This will be my first higher end scope, and I really do not want to make the wrong decision. I do understand the difference, but am not sure what it will mean for me. Also, would a 20moa base be the best choice for me? Thank you very much for any input you can give me! </div></div>

You know for the insignificant price difference you might as well get the FFP even if you never use the feature, it'll have a higher resale value.

Les,

If you're dialing a lot of elevation or shooting steel plates, get the Mil/mil. It will save you a ton of time and frustration. If you want more precision at long ranges for shooting smaller objects, the moa/moa adjusts in smaller increments and may be more useful for getting an exact POI, at the expense of some really weird moa/turn numbers that will require you to think more when you dial elevation.

Also look very carefully at the reticles on Vortex's site. They didn't all stay exactly the same from mil to moa and one may have features you like better.

John

FFP, you can hold the same hold on any power whether wind or elevation. you can range on any power. makes life easier

Thanks for all the great info guys. I have decided to go with the FFP for sure. Now just need to figure out MIL or MOA. It is a never ending string of decisions when you are new to this stuff, but it is a lot of fun learning as I go. Thanks again, and any additional info on MOA or MIL would be helpful. Like I said most of my time will be shooting paper and steel from 100 out to 1000 yards. Also, do you feel a 20moa base would be the best route to go?

Chadm and Les

I always say once you go ffp, you hardly ever go back, I like the fact that even if you dial up you can always use your hash marks for holding off for movers or a change in wind with that, at any power setting as well.

I’m running a 4-16x50 ffp PST ( which is true and crisp) on a Rem 700 tactical in a 308 with a 20 moa base Chad go for the base it’s always good to have a little more range.

Also my PST and Razor are both mil,mil MRAD scopes

In a few weeks here my son and I are heading out to Thunder Valley Precision, we will find out what the limits are as far as the PST with the 308.

The Razor is set up on a 338 Barrett and has been used for sometime now, but the Rem 700 Tactical with the heavy 20” barrel is a new build,

Oneshot, Thank you very much for the info!! I just picked up my SPS Tactical today. Now it is just hurry up and wait for the scope to come in April!!

I'm looking to set my SPS Tac in .308 just like you have described. I'm hoping to find someone who has this scope in stock, since I'm not patient enough to wait. I was also wondering about the 20 MOA base, I think that this is what I'm gonna go with. If anyone knows of anyone that as a 4-16x40 PST FFP in stock please shoot me an PM.

To answer your question Les .IMHO SOME people post the"sniper hide google search" use it feature to up there post count and to look so called cool.They probaley have no real opinions of their own .It's also the same when they post "+1" or "^ what he said".It's really annoying and should get no credit.Maybe some are trying to get to the 100 mark to sell something? Certain threads like " how are countersniper scopes?"threads are the exception,people should just ignore those.