• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes VIPER PST GEN II 5-25X50 FFP vs Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x50

kwelhand

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2018
Georgia
I've factory MPA 6.5 Creedmoor BA bolt action rifle.
Currently, I've VIPER PST GEN II 5-25X50 FFP & Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x50.
They both have FFP & illuminated reticle.
Bushnell has 34mm tube vs Viper PST Gen II has 30mm tube.
Bushnell is made in Japan but Viper is from Philippine.

Unfortunately, I can keep only one scope and not sure which one I should hold onto.
I would like to test them further but money is tight and have to let one go soon.
Which one is better for the 850yrd precision shooting?

Factors that would make up the decision for me. The one that has better glass quality.
The reticle you like the most.
Which one gives you more elevation adjustment should be the Bushnell. Most high end scopes will give you plenty nowadays for 6.5. Check website specs and after zeroing each scope to see.

Seems others stating Bushnell just replaces and doesn’t repair. That’s great you get a new scope. However you have to make sure it’s a model they still make or carry back stock if discontinued. Going off this thread here -

Something to think about. But they made it right so.... not a brand deal breaker. I really liked my Bushnell xrs 4.5-30. Loved my razor gen 2. Both make great scopes.
Make sure you read Daves comment from vortex. Really says something about vortex as a company.
good luck.

I would go with the Bushnell over the viper since its a mid level line within Vortex assuming you like the reticle in both. The Bushnell should have better glass and will have alot more light due to the 34 mm tube vs the 30 of the viper.

Reactions: 6brshooter
Dang... that's really messed up with their warranty work.
It seems like Vortex has a better warranty service overall.

Yeah, you're right about Razor gen 2.
Wish I could afford it... they're damn expensive even for the used one.

Factors that would make up the decision for me. The one that has better glass quality.
The reticle you like the most.
Which one gives you more elevation adjustment should be the Bushnell. Most high end scopes will give you plenty nowadays for 6.5. Check website specs and after zeroing each scope to see.

Seems others stating Bushnell just replaces and doesn’t repair. That’s great you get a new scope. However you have to make sure it’s a model they still make or carry back stock if discontinued. Going off this thread here -

Something to think about. But they made it right so.... not a brand deal breaker. I really liked my Bushnell xrs 4.5-30. Loved my razor gen 2. Both make great scopes.
Make sure you read Daves comment from vortex. Really says something about vortex as a company.
good luck.

I like both reticles but Bushnell has a thicker reticle.
Yes, I thought about the same thing... 34mm tube... I think it's no comparison.

I would go with the Bushnell over the viper since its a mid level line within Vortex assuming you like the reticle in both. The Bushnell should have better glass and will have alot more light due to the 34 mm tube vs the 30 of the viper.

You do not get more "light" through a 34mm tube vs a 30mm tube. You only get more elevation usually.

You have both in hand so look at both and see which you like better. You have something most don't when trying to make that decision.

And if you wanted a Razor then you could do a third option and sell both those scopes and buy a Razor. Selling both would easily fund a Razor and possibly some money left over.

Thanks for the clarification on tube size and its benefit... I will do more reading.
I might have to sell both and try to get Razor Gen 2.
Purchased old Razor Gen 1 here not too long ago and I couldn't tell much difference between Viper Gen II & Razor Gen I.

You do not get more "light" through a 34mm tube vs a 30mm tube. You only get more elevation usually.

You have both in hand so look at both and see which you like better. You have something most don't when trying to make that decision.

And if you wanted a Razor then you could do a third option and sell both those scopes and buy a Razor. Selling both would easily fund a Razor and possibly some money left over.

I've beat on every gen of dmr/ers/dmr2/xrs2, 7 total. Never an issue, one of the best tracking scopes. I've had 3 pst gen1, all had to go back for warranty work, one of the 3 had to go back again because they didn't fix the problem(manufacturer defect).

I've beat on every gen of dmr/ers/dmr2/xrs2, 7 total. Never an issue, one of the best tracking scopes. I've had 3 pst gen1, all had to go back for warranty work, one of the 3 had to go back again because they didn't fix the problem(manufacturer defect).

That may be true, but the Gen2 PST is a completely different animal than the Gen1.

I compared Gen 1 Razor vs Gen II Viper PST and they're pretty similar.
Of course, Razor has a slightly better glass but not significant.

That may be true, but the Gen2 PST is a completely different animal than the Gen1.

True... I sent mine twice to Vortex. 😔

I know thats why I specifically said gen1 pst. I assume they still have the same repair people that completely missed my first problem. Reticle would turn 5+° in whichever direction mag ring was turned. I specifically told them in warranty claim what it was doing. They cleaned purged and told me to always torque to no more than 18in/lbs, no rings were sent with it. After I got Scott involved on the second trip for same problem, they found that several parts were out of spec. I've got some friends that have pst2, they are nice. I'd say their glass is better than a dmr I owned, equal to the ers I had, and below my 2 dmr2/1 dmr2 pro/ 2 xrs2.

Reactions: Basher
Vortex has the “best warranty in the business”, which is a good thing cause you’ll need it a time or three. Bushnell over Vortex Viper any day.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I agree, or stick with the Bushnell
I had a DMR II for a very short period. Hated the amount of CA it had. First scope I ever noticed it honestly. Haven't looked through a Gen 2 PST much but have owned Gen 2 Razors. I personally think the Razor is well worth the premium.

ETA: just saw @gr8fuldoug is running a special on the 4.5-18 LRTS. I've owned a couple of the old LRHS scopes and regret selling them. Those suckers punch well above their price. Only a 44mm objective but man are they sweet. Idk why Bushnell can't/won't put that glass in the DMR II with illum for 1200-1300. It would smoke the competition.

Last edited:
Tough call....
It looks like Viper has to go.
I might have to add more money and get Razor Gen II at the end.

Vortex has the “best warranty in the business”, which is a good thing cause you’ll need it a time or three. Bushnell over Vortex Viper any day.

Really? My PST Gen II has had a couple thousand 300 (WM and PRC) rounds shot underneath it and never had an issue.

Reactions: Rob01