• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Viper PST or Nightforce NXS

gl51virus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Lake Charles, LA
Feedback please. I have narrowed my choices down to the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP or the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50. It will be going on a bolt .308 and looking at distance up to 1000 yds. Not going to be used for hunting, merely punching hole in paper or dinging some metal. Price isn't really a factor, I just have not been able to get behind either of these scopes in person so I wanting to know if the Nightforce is worth the extra $$$ for what I will be doing with it.

Thanks for the input

Re: Viper PST or Nightforce NXS

If you're gonna be using the reticle to range with, go with the Vortex as it's FFP and you can range with it at any magnification. The NXS is a SFP and it would have to be on the max setting of 22x for the ranging to be accurate. If you won't be using the reticle for ranging, the NXS would be the better buy.

NXS 100%

Since you're going to be going to 1000 you'll need a lot of elevation on your scope and the 65moa on the PST pales in comparison to the 100moa on the NXS. When I plug in my load data for my reloads and rifle into the Shooter App (also recommended), It says I'll need 46.7moa from a 100yd zero to reach 1000yds. And while a PST (32.5moa up/32.5moa down) PLUS a 20moa base (52.5moa total) will get you there theoretically, I prefer to have a little more margin.

I own both a couple of NFs and a PST and love all of them.

Just out of curiosity, why so much magnification for distances up to 1k? 16 power will get you there easily. Quite a few guys do it with 10 power.

i would go with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP. due to the FFP

i have an FFP scope and love it.

joe

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Just out of curiosity, why so much magnification for distances up to 1k? 16 power will get you there easily. Quite a few guys do it with 10 power. </span>

Buy once, cry once. Although right now I am only going to be going out to 1k, I want the ability to go farther if it arises. Once I get the shop built and have a place for the reloading equipment, my next stick would be a .338 lapua. (way too expensive to buy ammo) ;-)

NF is $1850, Vortex Razor $2k that would be a better choice higher mag and ffp.PST's are ok but not in the same league.I would be happy with an F1 NF 15x is plenty to shoot way out there.

I have used both with QR rings so I can switch scopes between guns. end up using the Nightforce. Just like it better

For your use, I would think a PST would be just fine. I used to own one and I loved it. However, in my .308 my elevation needed to get to 1000 yards was at max only 38MOA out of a 24" barrel and my loads aren't very hot, so the PST with a 20MOA base would be plenty. I've been behind many Nightforce's and they really are great scopes, but I would honestly use the extra money on ammo.

You first need to decide if you need/want a FFP or SFP scope. Now, it was mentioned that you should get a FFP scope if you are to be ranging with your reticle. Ranging with your reticle is not a problem with a SFP scope and shouldn't be a reason for deciding on one over the other. If you want to make shot corrections using the reticle, hold-overs using the reticle, engage movers, etc., then the FFP is desired.

If you are going to be punching holes in paper, a SFP scope will suffice and will probably be preferred. With tha said, I have no experience with the PST and have had mixed results with NF scopes. Of the two, I would get the NXS if I could live with SFP and the PST if I needed FFP. Personally, I would choose a third option, but no other choice was given.

Also, as far as 10x or 16x being "enough" power for shooting out to 1K - yes, it is "enough" if that is what you have. A Smart car will also probably be "enough" car to drive across the country, but only a moron would actually do it. Small targets at distance make more magnification attractive.

I've got 2 PST's on order. THe 16 power for my GAP10 and the 24x for the Bolt Gun in 7wsm.

Let us know which way you go.

Why limit your choices? Right now there are a ton of scopes for sale in the for sale optics section on the Hide. I saw a Razor for $1750 if your willing to spend $1800 for a NF the razor would be a better deal. If you looking to save even more there's a NIB SS for $1300 (I know there are marking it up, however it' still a deal).

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3026795&gonew=1#UNREAD

If you are willing to spend more there are some S&Bs, NFs, and Marches for sale too.