• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Viper Vortex 6-24 ffp or sfp - convince me

BlindRacer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
When I bought my rifle, I had now idea about glass. I really had no idea about shooting much of anything but handguns, so I've very new to the need for optics.

I've read a few threads on here that sort of touch on the subject, but I think I need more.

I started out looking at scopes that were sub $200, then realized pretty quickly that it really matters. I was convinced to bring that up a bit, and was looking in the $350-$400 range. Then realizing that those are the very base of what I'm really wanting. So now I've jumped up my budget again. Reluctantly, but I'm doing it.

I'm looking at the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50.

The question is, SFP or FFP. I know what each do. I know the advantages and disadvantages in both. I just don't know.

What I shoot is generally 100 and 200 yards at a range, then about 300, and hopefully up to 500 or so in the desert (have yet to get past 300, while maintaining a backstop). The desert is mainly shooting at placed clays, or an assortment of random targets. Plinking more-so. The range is all dialing in, and for single hole precision.

I want to be able to put single holes in at 200 yards. Whether both me or the rifle is capable is yet to be determined, but I want to be able to none the less.

Is the FFP on the PST too thick to be able to do that? I heard that it will fit into a 22 cal hole at 100 yards. But that means a 44 cal hole at 200 yards (I think). That's not really 'aiming small'.

So, convince me one way or the other. It will take extra convincing to get me to spend more on the FFP, but I'll do it if that's what I really should be getting.

That will be over 4x the price I was initially planning on spending. Oi!

Re: Viper Vortex 6-24 ffp or sfp - convince me

If you don't plan on doing a lot of reticle based range estimation then by your given uses of the scope Sfp would be fine and save ya 200 bucks. IMO

I think that I'd like to be able to, and to learn that. At the range, the targets will be at fixed distances, but in the desert, I won't know the distances exactly. And I don't have a laser range finder, and don't want to get one at this point.

I could range with the SFP version, but I'd be limited to the highest power, or the middle power with a little extra math.

I guess the SFP version will suit my needs for a while, since I don't plan on using it in a stressful situation.

Would the FFP suit me better in the long run? Say 5 to 10 years? I'd rather not have to replace it because I chose wrong.

I know it's confusing, but I want to want the FFP. Everyone on here seems to rave about them. I DO want to be able to range things easier...without having to be on max power if it doesn't call for it.

A question that I think may help a lot...
<span style="color: #CC0000">
At what point does the FFP reticle match the size of the SFP reticle.</span>

I think I read somewhere it was at 12x. 24x was double, and 6x was half as thick. Not sure if that's correct though.

<span style="color: #cc0000">Also, is it difficult to make precision shots on paper with a FFP, say...within 2-300 yards?</span>

I do the "extra math" you mention with my SFP scope. It is not that big a deal. If you are wanting to shoot small groups and small targets inside of 300 yds I think the SFP will treat you better.

If you are wanting to be able to hold over or hold for wind at any magnification accurately then the FFP is better.

For me the trade off is that if I want accurate holds I have to keep my scope set at either 5.5, 11, or 22 power to keep the math easy (scope is NF 5.5X22X50 with NP-R1 reticle). If I am going to dial my corrections then it does not matter.

I'm certainly not an expert in this field, but I have to agree with ToddKS.

If you want to make impressive shot groups inside of 300, then go with the SFP, the reticle won't cover up as much of the POA so that you can keep your shots closer together upon firing.

If you want to go out into the world and shoot at unknown ranges in an unstructured environment, I'd recommend the FFP.

There's a post somewhere in the 'Hide of pics seen through various scopes. I think it has "through the scope" in the title.
Should help you decide.

Forget to max power.mil target. Press trigger,you'll convince yourself

I have one of the pst's 6-24x50, sfp. Like you I mainly target shoot and find that at longer ranges I use max power. The scope is very clear and eye relief is great. I have shot the cheaper scopes and found that to get a good sight picture sometimes the scope would hit my head when I fired.

The PST FFP reticle is on the heavy side. Some FFP reticles are that way but not all.

I was going to put a PST FFP on my 22 trainer but it was way heavier than my USO reticles and I didn't like the way it obscured smaller targets that I like to shoot for fun.

To me from what you've said go with the SFP PST.

I have very little actual experience with a FFP as the Vortex 6-24x50 is my first..but, I did just shoot my first 1,000yd match with it and I stayed at a holiday inn last night. I will say it is a little thick for pure FTR work however it was very very helpful to see my impacts, know how far left or right they are by measuring with my reticle and then adjusting on the next shot via hold off or turret adj.

Merry Christmas!

-Jarrod