• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Virgin Lapua brass vs "once fired" reloading steps

Drbobinmo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Springfield, MO
Starting to load some 6.5CM ammo today with some new Lapua brass. Should I still go through all the normal steps with this new brass (size, chamfer, deburr, etc.) that I would go through with once fired brass ( without the cleaning obviously)?

As for working up loads, is it ok to use virgin brass or better to wait until it has fireformed out of my action first for best results?

No dont size it, Just make sure the case necks are round (I use a mandrel) then chamfer/debur and load. I shoot that 100pc box first, then clean, size, etc and start load development. Do this for a few reasons. 1) is because that brass isnt formed to your chamber yet, and 2) I like to get 100rd on a new barrel before starting load development anyway.

Also, when finding a load with virgin brass, its usually different then with 1x. How different depends on the cartridge.

But as mentioned above, what your intended use is would give a more specific answer

Agreed that you should chamfer and deburr before loading them, you want to take off any rough edges at the case mouth. I’m surprised you say you chamfer and deburr once-fired as well, unless you’re talking about factory ammo; if you did it with the new brass, you shouldn’t have to do it again until you trim for length.

I always mandrel new brass to my standard mandrel reloading size. This ensures proper neck tension, and corrects any issues with crunched case necks from manufacture and shipping. Once mandreled, they're ready to shoot, but wait until they're fire-formed with at least one firing before you start any serious load development.

Agreed that you should chamfer and deburr before loading them, you want to take off any rough edges at the case mouth. I’m surprised you say you chamfer and deburr once-fired as well, unless you’re talking about factory ammo; if you did it with the new brass, you shouldn’t have to do it again until you trim for length.

This is not exactly correct and Ill tell you why people chamfer/debur after doing it the 1st time. Because most of us dont eject brass slowly onto a silk shirt with memory foam under it. It gets burs and dinged up... Even if you dont trim, it hits concrete, rocks, and whatever else. That creates a BUR, therfore you debur it... May not be removing the material you did the 1st time, but its always wise to debur after cleaing and sizing for this very reason

No.

The brass will already be undersized to your chamber so you won't be able to push the shoulders back, resize the web. Lapua brass won't have burs.

i would just chamfer and mandrel the necks for .002" tension and uniformity.

Your once fired will probably be 20 - 30fps faster. While the velocity will be a bit different there isn't any action you can take other than normal resizing and loading to desired velocity.

1000% agree. Especially LAPUA!! Almost all new lapua has WAY too much neck tension. So not only do I mandrel virgin brass to ensure the necks are round, but to give me my .002 neck tension.

Reactions: reubenski
What about if im switching to virgin Lapua Brass? Have a great load developed for my 6.5CM using LRP hornady brass. But i have 200 pieces of virgin LRP Lapua sitting at home. Do i need to tweak anything? Or start with a lower charge and work back up to my normal load? Im running 43.2gr h4350 with hornady which is a few tenths over book max.

This is great info and I appreciate it very much. No particular intended use except for fun shooting for the smallest groups possible and would like to eventually look into doing local PRS matches.

Definitely start .5 to 1 gr lower. Hornady has more capacity than Lapua so you'll run higher charges without the pressure than you can with Lapua.
Can confirm, saw this on my hunting load development this year.

I definitely understand your point here but since I have a Henderson powered trimmer on the way very soon, I tend to think of that all in the same way now.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
I have a Henderson powered trimmer as well but I don't use it all the time because the brass will have to grow in order for mouths to be fully chamfered. Otherwise you'll be trimming too short. I use a Lyman case prep center if I'm just chamfering.

Same here. I use a FA Platinum Case prep center when not trimming as well.

Reactions: Drbobinmo