• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Visiting American Battlefields

LuckyDuck

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Does anyone else on the Hide make a point to visit American Battlefields? I'm fortunate that my present location allows me to visit the Antietam & Gettysburg battlefields easily and Valley Forge & Fort Necessity are all within a comfortable drive as well. I've personally adopted as a collectible mindset to pick up a stoneware coffee mug from each battlefield I visit. Does anyone else here take the time to visit this sites or is it just me?

-LD

giphy (1).gif

• Haha
    Reactions: RUTGERS95
    Saratoga,,Scylerville.a back yard AO.
    Often Ride bicycle through Saratoga.
    a
    Awesome museum.

Last edited:
    Reactions: LuckyDuck
    I guess I'll take that as a no from you then? No worries but here's a fun fact for you regardless- we have a Red Lion here in PA and a big part of that town's history was producing cigars of all things. Now you know.

-LD
    giphyexcited.gif

Thus far- I've probably been to Gettysburg at least 50x, I've visited Antietam only once but hope to rectify that later this year when it warms up. I've been to Bunker Hill outside of Boston as well as Valley Forge. I'm going off of the top of my head but I also remember visiting Cow Pens in..SC years ago. So much history contained there and so much to learn (in my humble opinion) by visiting these sites. Oh I tried to hit up Ft. Sumter last year but was only able to get enough time to visit their museum. One of the battlefields I'd really like to visit still is Shiloh in TN. Anyone else?

-LD

Been to Gettysburg was great. The Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg Tx was awesome. Even my wife loved it.
    Nimitz was from Fredericksburg

Been to Gettysburg was great. The Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg Tx was awesome. Even my wife loved it.
    Nimitz was from Fredericksburg
    Excellent point- I didn't even consider 20th century sites when I originally posted this thread. I'd also like to visit Pearl Harbor at some point. I spent several months in Japan not that long ago and they have their equivalent of a National Park in Tokyo Bay dedicated to a WWI ship, that was pretty fascinating. I also was able to visit Naval museums in NYC & Boston on old aircraft carriers/battleships that are now tourists attractions but certainly worth the visit in my experience.

-LD

I'll also add that if anyone is planning on visiting the Gettysburg Battlefield and is also a bookworm such as myself- do yourself a favor and read "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara as that's what the very well done movie "Gettysburg" is based off of. If you'd want some supplemental reading during your visit- I'd also recommend "Guide to Gettysburg Battlefield Monuments" by Tom Huntington as well as "A Field Guide to Gettysburg" by Carol Reardon & Tom Vossler. Last recommendation for Gettysburg books, this would be better for the folks that rely on visual aids but also check out "Gettysburg: the Story of the Battle with Maps" by M. David Deweiler. You'd also be well served picking up a copy of the National Military Park Topo map from their gift shop to see all of the otherwise unmarked trails that are available if you're going to do more than just the car tour when visiting. Hope that helps someone at least.

-LD

Visited Gettysburg and got one of the battlefield guides to give us a tour. Man, that was worth it to me because he was a wealth of knowledge and really brought it alive. I wouldn't have learned half as much on my own.

Visited Gettysburg and got one of the battlefield guides to give us a tour. Man, that was worth it to me because he was a wealth of knowledge and really brought it alive. I wouldn't have learned half as much on my own.
    Sounds like you did it right sir- so much history on that ground but to best appreciate it, you have to understand what led up to that battle & a good guide really does make all the difference in making the history come alive.

-LD

Any good reviews at those sites?

Last edited:
    Any good dildo reviews at those sites?
    Alas- that thread held so much promise but unfortunately, as Jesse Ventura said in the original "Predator" movie, it was ultimately sunk due to a small number of "slack jaw faggots" that got their panties all up in a twist but oh well. Anywho-have you had the chance to visit any American Battlefields? If so- I'd love to hear what your experience was.

-LD

Pearl is a very powerful place to visit. Took my son there for his senior trip. If you havent been definitely go. I will share some photos later. So much history there. We spent two and half day between there and Ford Island.

Pearl is a very powerful place to visit. Took my son there for his senior trip. If you havent been definitely go. I will share some photos later. So much history there. We spent two and half day between there and Ford Island.
    Personally- I'd love to see those pictures if you have the time to post them.

-LD

How was Vicksburg?

-LD
    Hilly. Seeing those hills, knowing that they charged up them on horseback, is all but unbelievable. How, those two could effectively battle each other in those hills, proved the impossibility of victory. Thus the siege. It’s been several years since I have been there, but plan on revisiting it this year.

Some examples of the coffee mugs I’ve collected on the subject.

Attachments

• IMG_1625.jpeg
      IMG_1625.jpeg
      440.5 KB · Views: 16
    • IMG_1624.jpeg
      IMG_1624.jpeg
      530.6 KB · Views: 16
    • IMG_1622.jpeg
      IMG_1622.jpeg
      481 KB · Views: 17
    Been to Gettysburg a couple of times. Having read Killer Angels prior to the last visit, you really gain a better understanding of how the battle played out when you can see and walk on the ground yourself. On that visit we took a horseback tour that was fantastic. The tour guide asked each participant where they were from, and had a story about a soldier that was from their state, or even the town they were from.
    I would also recommend Stars in Their Courses by Shelby Foote. An excellent book about the Gettysburg campaign and the events leading up to it.

Been to Gettysburg a couple of times. Having read Killer Angels prior to the last visit, you really gain a better understanding of how the battle played out when you can see and walk on the ground yourself. On that visit we took a horseback tour that was fantastic. The tour guide asked each participant where they were from, and had a story about a soldier that was from their state, or even the town they were from.
    I would also recommend Stars in Their Courses by Shelby Foote. An excellent book about the Gettysburg campaign and the events leading up to it.
    Is that coming from Illinois? If so- I want to party with you cowboy. This is good stuff and how we preserve our nation's history.

-LD

Search posts by pmclaine. A year or two ago he made a thread on the Battles of Lexington and Concord and the British retreat to Boston with lots of good photos.

Search posts by pmclaine. A year or two ago he made a thread on the Battles of Lexington and Concord and the British retreat to Boston with lots of good photos.
    I remember seeing those pictures actually, they were every bit as good as you were alluding to sir.

-LD

Reactions: rhsc
    was just at fort Sumter a few weeks ago. I couldn't see the Hunley as it's only open on weekends which is fking bs

anyway, took the flag down, toured the whole place and then went to the spot where the first shot was fired on Sumter

was AWESOME day

was just at fort Sumter a few weeks ago. I couldn't see the Hunley as it's only open on weekends which is fking bs

anyway, took the flag down, toured the whole place and then went to the spot where the first shot was fired on Sumter

was AWESOME day
    3x I was in Charleston harbor and never once was I able to make it work to catch the ferry to the island. Such is life I suppose.

-LD

I forgot to add Winter Quarters. The only plantation home the Federals did not burn on their march through Louisiana to get to Hard Times, where Grant crossed the Mississippi.

Grant crossed the Mississippi, drove on Jackson, then Vicksburg. Pemberton fought a running retreat, until he got back to Vicksburg. Driving along I-20 from Jackson to Vicksburg, one passes close to skirmish and battle sights that are unmarked and all but forgotten.

What is sad, is that Winter Quarters suffered a fire several years ago. While the Plantation still stands and is maintained, it is no longer open to the public though it is still owned by the State of Louisiana.

Interesting side note. On Sunday afternoons, the Slaves would have boat races on Lake St. Joseph while the plantation owners would spectate from the wide veranda’s fronting the lake. Today, the lake is highly silted in and one can almost walk across it.
    IMG_0847.jpeg

The Plantation

IMG_0846.jpeg

Winter Quarter’s lake front.

IMG_0845.jpeg

• Love
    I forgot to add Winter Quarters. The only plantation home the Federals did not burn on their march through Louisiana to get to Hard Times, where Grant crossed the Mississippi.

Grant crossed the Mississippi, drove on Jackson, then Vicksburg. Pemberton fought a running retreat, until he got back to Vicksburg. Driving along I-20 from Jackson to Vicksburg, one passes close to skirmish and battle sights that are unmarked and all but forgotten.

What is sad, is that Winter Quarters suffered a fire several years ago. While the Plantation still stands and is maintained, it is no longer open to the public though it is still owned by the State of Louisiana.

Interesting side note. On Sunday afternoons, the Slaves would have boat races on Lake St. Joseph while the plantation owners would spectate from the wide veranda’s fronting the lake. Today, the lake is highly silted in and one can almost walk across it. View attachment 8363158

The Plantation

View attachment 8363159

Winter Quarter’s lake front.

View attachment 8363160
    Amazing feedback sir and exactly what I was hoping to get out of the post! Really appreciate you sharing the pictures with us. Such a turbulent part of our country's history.

-LD

20231218_151659.jpg
    20231218_151719.jpg
    20231218_151729.jpg

This was basically a suicide torpedo. Never knew this even existed. Operator got in they bolted them in and that was it. Torpedo was massive. It was 48" tall I cant remember how long it was.

Gettysburg, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Franklin, Shiloh, Kennasaw, not a battle field, but Andersonville. Not a ton, but enough to know I'm glad I never fought in the 1600's

Gettysburg, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Franklin, Shiloh, Kennasaw, not a battle field, but Andersonville. Not a ton, but enough to know I'm glad I never fought in the 1600's
    Oh Andersonville- I was there myself- Civil War POW camp at the southern end of GA right?

-LD

20231218_135638.jpg20231218_135802.jpg20231218_135833.jpg20231218_135836.jpg20231218_135840.jpg20231218_135900.jpg20231218_140026.jpg20231218_140447.jpg20231219_105733.jpg
    Some pictures of the USS Arizona Memorial. Pearls Tears and the wall of names of those that perished that day. They have added names over the years of survivors from that day. They also provide a service to those that wish to return to the ship when they pass. They are cremated placed in there urn and divers take them down to a gun turret I believe its #4 and the current actually pulls them back into the ship to be with there brothers. I found this very interesting. So many things here to see.

The emotional gravity of standing on the Arizona Memorial cant be explained its something you have to feel for yourself.

20231219_112738.jpg20231219_112618.jpg20231219_112613.jpg20231219_112539.jpg20231219_112532.jpg20231219_112511.jpg20231219_112324.jpg20231219_112316.jpg
    The USS Missouri "Mighty Mo".

The ship that WW2 ended on. The Surrender Documents and the actual spot on the ship that it took place.

20231219_105640.jpg20231219_115013.jpg20231219_115500.jpg20231219_115627.jpg20231219_133237.jpg20231218_162927.jpg20231219_105932.jpg20231219_114936.jpg
    My son in his element. We have been to the New Jersey as well as the North Carolina. He loves his battleships. Often tells me he was born to late. If they ever revive these old boats he will be on one somewhere. I pray that day never comes.

Reactions: darkfader
    If you ever get the chance to expand your comment- I'd love to hear what you thought about Shiloh when you visited it.

-LD

Yep, my lady and I usually go at least twice a year somewhere. I lived in Gettysburg for about five years in high school but we still go back once in a while. If you’re not far from Sharpsburg, check out Harper’s Ferry which is a really cool day trip. Also, I’d highly recommend Fredericksburg, VA. Depending on which direction you are coming from, it’s not far to visit TJ’s Monticello on that trip as well.

We make it a point to stay in a period B&B in the towns we visit.

I go to every battlefield close to anywhere I am. Even went a few hours out of the way on a family vacation out west to go by Shiloh. My son who was 7 at the time (21 now) got interested in Shiloh from a bluegrass song. Been to tiny ones like Rich Mtn WV to big ones.

Last edited:
    We need to revisit these battlefields to righten our ship before it sinks.

View attachment 8363275View attachment 8363276View attachment 8363277View attachment 8363278View attachment 8363279View attachment 8363280View attachment 8363281View attachment 8363282
    My son in his element. We have been to the New Jersey as well as the North Carolina. He loves his battleships. Often tells me he was born to late. If they ever revive these old boats he will be on one somewhere. I pray that day never comes.
    Excellent pictures sir. It's hard for me to wrap my own head around how the battleships fell out of favor while knowing that they used to be top dog and strike fear in our enemies. Even today the Army calls Artillery as their 'King of battle' and these old warhorses brought everything and then some that they were asked to.
    -LD

Reactions: Heartstopper
    I've seen all of the PA and MD battle sites. Pretty sure most of VA too. Spent about 5 summers, every weekend in Gettysburg. I've even got ghost film. lights on the Triangle field and in the dorms at the college. Had to stop at every one between Delaware and Oklahoma as well. Managed a trip to Pea Ridge when they were doing reenactments. I'm so tired of all that old battle shit, I never want to go again. My ex is the one that wanted to see it all.