• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VLD or not

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Does it matter if you use a VLD chamfer tool or a regular chamfer tool? Im loading for .223 (AR15), .300 Win. Mag. I have been using the regular one that fits on the RCBS trim mate.

Re: VLD or not

If the base (boat tail) slips into the case mouth smoothly, it doesn't mater what tool you use.

If the base of the bullet doesn't slip smoothly into the case mouth you have not used <whichever> tool correctly.

wich ever on helps seat the bullet the best,i have a vld and a regular chamfer,but before i got the vld one ,i just used the regular one.cant say that i ever noticed a difference.

Both types are going to prevent burrs from shaving the bullet, so superficial observations based on seating pressure are of little value in comparing the two. If there is a difference, it will be in runouts and the only way you will see it is if you are using a concentricity gage. Never compared the two types of chamfering tools because I use a really high-end VLD tool that offers features the basic ones don't have (depth control and alignment through the flash hole). Alignment is more important than cutting angle IMO.

P1040809.jpg

P1040810.jpg

Made by K&M Precision and available at Grafs and Precision Reloading.