• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VLDs with gas guns

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
I have been trying to decide between a GAP 10 in .308 or .260. I've looked, but I don't see a lot of people shooting .260 VLDS out of AR10 type rifles. Is it because of feeding issues or do they have to be set too deep in the case? Being able to shoot VLDs would be a factor in my decsion.

You won't see many people trying VLDs in any gas gun, for a multitude of reasons: Required seating depth, mag length, case shoulder issues on chambering and powder choice/bullet weight being four of them.

If you are willing to single-load them in a .223 then 80JLKs work fine, though.

I have been trying to decide between a GAP 10 in .308 or .260. I've looked, but I don't see a lot of people shooting .260 VLDS out of AR10 type rifles. Is it because of feeding issues or do they have to be set too deep in the case? Being able to shoot VLDs would be a factor in my decsion.

Yes, VLDs will be seated pretty deep into case with the 2.820" max OAL per magazine constraint.
Yes, you can have feeding issues with the VLDs due to ogive.

VLDs, IMHO, are best left to bolt rifles where you are not limited to 2.820" max OAL.

YMMV.

The 130gr VLD is my go-to bullet in my .260 Rem gas gun built by GA Precision. Seating depth, COAL, ogive profile, case shoulder/ogive relationship to feeding, and powder choice for the bullet haven't been problematic for me. I use H4350 under the 130gr VLD, and it is a great 1000yd+ load.

The 100yd six 5rd group thread with a semi-auto was smoked with another .260 Rem AR shooting 140gr VLD's by bigbore. He has a Krieger barreled DPMS that is scary accurate with the 140 VLD.

The issue with seating depth is more about barrel time, not jump, and Berger has changed their recommendations on seating depth from being jammed, to a series of depths with a separation constant.

My rifle will shoot .4" to .6" 5rd groups with initial loads before I have even shot ladders with it, and does great at 700-1000yds/m. I assumed the conventional thinking about VLD's was true about them not working well in gassers, so being stubborn, I had to try them. Just wish I had several thousand of them at prices from several years ago.