• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VLTOR A4 upper build

2clicks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Does anyone know if there are actual accuracy benefits to using a VLTOR A4 upper as compared to any other standard A4 upper (lets say standard meaning Rock River, Yankee Hill, DPMS something along these lines)? Would VLTORs upper need to be squared off on the front of the receiver (barrel nut threads) or is it trued up from their facility. Where specifically can dimensional improvements be made to improve the AR's ability to shoot bug holes. Two examples I've noticed are Les Baer and Robert Whitley, I'm sure there are others. Where are these guys picking up the slack that isn't already machined into off the shelf AR's? I'm going to Modify my Rock River A2 by changing the upper to an A4 and floating the barrel. I'm wondering where else I can make improvements to the get the most accurate rifle possible when I'm finished.

Re: VLTOR A4 upper build

It's a great upper and very precise but It's basically the same as having a heavy walled billet upper. The difference is that Vltor's uppers are forged instead of billet so there is a bit of extra strength. Heavy walled receivers are more rigid than standard receivers and forged will be better than billet. That said there are a lot of VERY accurate rifles made on standard receivers. The trick is to find an upper and lower that are as tight as possible or even over sized and lap them together. AS far as the quality of Vltor's uppers go they are excellent. They are very precise and very strong. The real issue is whether or not the lower is a good fit. There are those however who have very accurate rifles that do have slop between the receivers and it doesn't affect there accuracy at all so I'm not sure how big of a deal it really is. I see no reason why you would have a problem with the Vltor and for those looking for nothing but the best it would be my first choice for any kind of AR.

Re: VLTOR A4 upper build

Thanks Mr Blasty I've shot a M16 in an EIC Match that had some major slop in it. It was almost like it had hinges, very loose. But the first 10 shots were 10's and x's, the slop was a huge distraction though and at the 300 yrd line it was another story... I've considered a DPMS heavy walled upper too.