• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

vltor mod pod

Burglecutt

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Utah
What is the consensus on the vltor modpod? Pros, Cons? Looking to put one on an AR platform, just wanted to know what the ins and outs were before dropping $$$ on one. Where is the best place to get one(price wise)?

Re: vltor mod pod

I was able to pick up one of these at a gun show for half off and have used it on a few different rifles now.... Just to paraphrase this is my opinion,and there are far more experienced individuals on here. I am not a big fan of this item. While I found the idea appealing and it solved a need I had at the time I think I would have been better served to just figure out a way to use any one of the other prove bipod set ups out there. The issues I had with it were it is not a system that is easy to rapidly deploy with one hand, side rail accessories can get in the way of deployment, it literally doubles the lateral profile of your weapon, the feel while I fired using it was less than rock solid. And the general feel of the equipment is just well, what it is, an all plastic part (baring the attachment points that I have to point out are not QD and a little difficults to take off and put on).

Now all the negative is out of the way, the positive aspects are the versatility of the mounting, being side mounted frees up the bottom rail for covers or other accoutrements. When deployed individually and mounted a little closer to the upper receiver the legs make for a nifty one off (nearly) vertical hand grip. It has a good range of heights and locks into them solid, although with continued use I am not sure how long that would last. All in all I would say that for $180 if I had it do do over I think I would have saved up to get an Atlas or GG&G QD. But like I said that's just my opinion. Best thing is to try and find one local to go and get a feel for it yourself, you may love it or you may wonder why did that guy on the hide waste his cash on one.

Wow that was longer than intended. Hope it was helpful. If not, hope it was entertaining.

I think for the money you can do better. The mod-pod is a good concept, but it is bulky and it doesn't swivel. For $180 you can get the Larue setup which is far less bulky and offers QD and a locking swivel. However, if your intended purpose of strictly prone shooting than I think the mod-pod would fit the bill nicely.

Thanks for the info! I will do some shopping around and see what else I can find.