• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VLTOR vs JP Upper for Long-Range Build

mjphawk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
Boynton Beach, FL
I am trying to finalize my decision regarding the upper receiver for a long range AR-15 build in 5.56. Gun will have a 20" H-Bar barrel and will be shot primarily from a bench (i.e. weight isn't a huge concern). My primary goal is to squeeze every bit of accuracy possible out of the build. I got some great advice on another thread regarding many aspect of the build but am still wavering on the receivers.

Most of what I have read indicates that the receivers won't have the most significant impact on accuracy; however, I have read that there are benefits to an over-built Upper receiver.

My top choices are:
- VLTOR MUR upper - website states it it over-built specifically for accuracy
- JP Billet - Great esthetics, unsure of build quality compared to VLTOR
- JP Forged - Cheapest, unsure of build quality compared to VLTOR

Both companies have a great reputation but JP lacks some of the descriptive detail on their site that VLTOR does so was looking to those with experience.

I am leaning toward the VLTOR because of the write-up from their site but the JP Billet certainly looks sexy.

Are the tolerances tighter with one brand over the other? Is one meaningfully more rigid than the other?

Any input is appreciated.

VLTOR will work perfectly for a 20" setup, but if you go heavier like a 24"- 26" bull Barrel you will need the JP CTR-02 to eliminate receiver flex.

Also Mega SBU makes a beefy upper like the CTR-02 for cheap

[video]http://www.stonefire-arms.com/view/product/10/[/video]

So you are saying that the JP CTR-02 is more rigid than the VLTOR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont forget the DPMS low-pro. Very heavy and thick walls. Lots of the high-power / camp perry boys use these. They are also very in expensive.
The Seekins upper / handguard combo is a stout setup too.

You already have a build thread going. No need to start a second thread for questions on the same build...

Last edited: