• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Volquartsen Summit

dm250

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2008
Hi All, sorry if this has already been discussed.

I recently started eye balling the Volquartsen Summit at my local shop and it looks like a pretty nifty 22 but I was wondering for the price point is it really worth it?

I don’t know anyone that owns one nor did my local gun shop have much feedback on them. Well obviously like any good gun salesmen (I mean who is really going to tell you a gun is bad) they told me “yeahhhh there great guns, super accurate, nice action, etc etc etc” but clearly they had never shot one or spent long term time behind one.

I was wondering from those that own one or those that have spent some time behind one what are your thoughts on them?

For some background I am just looking for a nice precision 22 for fun, not looking for an NRL/PRS gun but I do have an appreciation for high quality rifles. The other guns I was looking at are CA 457 and Bergara B-14

I own two of thee original PWS Summits. One is done up as a VQ 17hm2 in a Bravo and the other a KIDD 22lr. Most fun action I have and it always attracting attention whenever it gets seen. I hunt with mine and are very accurate. Just need a good headspace set. My Browning T-Bolt is fun also in 17hmr. I will never part with my Summits till they go to my kids or Grand kids. I also have full custom CZ 455 and B14r. I like my Summits better.

had a PWS summit, wasnt great, got a Volquartsen Summit and it shoots lights out, they made changes, better machining .. damn accurate.

I have a anschutz 1727 with the fortner biathlon action in 17hmr - i prefer it but its a very expensive toy

Reactions: steve123
Had a PWS . The action is just fun to shoot. Wasnt into accuracy back then . Setting headspace with shims was a pain.

I bought a Summit receiver and assembled a compact critter dispatching SBR with it using a Kidd 6" barrel and can. It is perfect for my intended purpose, accurate enough to 50 yards and quiet.

Attachments

• Critter Getter.jpg
    Critter Getter.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Since you're asking, a few friends have or have had them accuracy is decent but not outstanding. The action isn't nearly as smooth as an Izhmash 7-2. None of the Summits could shoot with the Izhmash. Try to find someone with an Izhmash and compare the two.

Topstrap

I do recall the PWS Summits had very very picky barrels. Mine have VQ and KIDD.

Since you're asking, a few friends have or have had them accuracy is decent but not outstanding. The action isn't nearly as smooth as an Izhmash 7-2. None of the Summits could shoot with the Izhmash. Try to find someone with an Izhmash and compare the two.

Topstrap

I have an Izmash that my son loves. I just can't bring myself to spend $300+ on an extra 10 round magazine, when the gun was only $250.

I keep looking at the summits, stuffing a kid or green mountain barrel on, kid trigger, etc.

So that's really depressing to hear.

Reactions: Topstrap
I have an Izmash that my son loves. I just can't bring myself to spend $300+ on an extra 10 round magazine, when the gun was only $250.

I keep looking at the summits, stuffing a kid or green mountain barrel on, kid trigger, etc.

So that's really depressing to hear.
Yup, they were really cheap at one time. I bought a 7-2 off Gunbroker one time just to get 9 10rd magazines it came with.

For most people the Summit is fine and a fun gun. Seems most even with aftermarket barrels shoot similiar to like equipped 10/22s. The best shooting 10 22 I've seen at my longrange matches has a long heavy Douglass barrel on it.

Topstrap

My first purchase as a new rimfire enthusiast was the VQ Summit (pre Covid). Came with the carbon barrel which was almost MOA, but never better. Pretty horrible cold bore shift. Purchased an after market Shilen match barrel (not terribly expensive) that improved but not by much. Since then, have added a CZ 457 and then a Vudoo custom build to my cabinet, both are outstanding.

But I can't get the VQ out of my mind. The action is extremely fun to shoot and am considering taking it to my smith to see if he can make it perform. Has anyone had any success with the Summit? I'm not expecting Vudoo performance but it seems that it should compete with the 457. Anyone know why that would not be a reasonable goal?

I was actually eyeing the VQ Summit in Stainless for quite a while. After reading a bunch of so-so reviews here and on Rimfire Central I decided to just keep my 10/22 as is and ordered a Vudoo. The 10/22 shots great as is, but it doesn't shoot as well as our CZ 457 MTR and from what people say the VQ Summit just doesn't get that accurate. Would be cool to see someone like Kenny at DPG pick one up and make it shoot really well like he has with other 10/22s. I haven't seen anyone show anything impressive as far as accuracy goes with it though. So I wasn't confident enough in the potential accuracy to drop an extra $600+ on a platform that couldn't hang with a complete rifle that is only $100 more (CZ 457 VMTR).

I dragged my feet, too long and missed out on a Vudoo, that a 73-year-old bought, and then decided he couldn't get into some of the positions. Picked up a CZ 453, but, the Nikon 6-20 has the fine crosshairs, with a tiny target dot. It has to go!

• Sad
Reactions: Mark_Dorman
@dm250 and anyone else here wondering. I forgot a watched this video a while ago and was one of the reasons I decided not to get the VQ Summit for now:

Kenny does a pretty good job talking about some of the reasons it might not be as good as he expected, but also some of those issues might be resolved by using the Stainless version of the action.

I had a 16" volquartsen summit for a while. I put it in a Magpul stock. It shot about 1-2 moa @50. It was okay but it was kinda pointless for me at the time so I sold it.

Now, after seeing Grey Birch chassis, it would be wicked cool to have a 6" barrel/ 6" suppressor. Or a GEMTECM mist. Red dot or 1-10x. 50yd critter getter is the max you're going to do with it. If you accept that it would be a cool wall hanger.

I built up one with the stainless Summit receivers and a KIDD stainless barrel. VQ Summit trigger that I worked over. It easily shoots 1/2 moa at 100. Best part is that I’m getting it with Wolf Match.

Last pic is at 100 with the first trigger that I had in it.

Last pic is at 100 with the first trigger that I had in it.

This is very helpful. I've seen very few positive results with the VQ summit so knowing it's possible to get some good results is encouraging.

How was the mating between a Kidd barrel and the receiver? Nice and snug, tight, loose?

Tight! I used there recommended method of freezing the action or the barrel, can’t remember which, but it went together extremely tight.

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
Built a fast twist suppressed subsonic off the action. Can’t remember the barrel-smith, but was an aluminum sleeved barrel. Threw a can on the front.
Not quite MOA with the Aguilla 60gr SSS rounds, but close.
Absolutely the kids favorite rifle.
Toggle bolt, no recoil, quieter than a red Ryder, hammers scaled down IPSC targets with center 1” swinging discs.
Probably better building a voodoo, but it was a fun project.
Still not sure I have the headspace right; action is soft to cycle and 1/6 rounds don’t fire and need be discarded. Still, as It’s a training rifle for the kids, making them sort through errors and malfunctions has its upshot’s.

I built up one with the stainless Summit receivers and a KIDD stainless barrel. VQ Summit trigger that I worked over. It easily shoots 1/2 moa at 100. Best part is that I’m getting it with Wolf Match.
Are you talking about this?
1000003814.png

Yeah. The trigger i was using was right up there near 4#’s. It shoots and I’m very happy with it.

Reactions: JR1200W3