• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Volquartsen triggers.

ms6852

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
Does any one have a Volquartsen trigger in their Ruger10/22? If so, what is the trigger pull, and is it worth paying the money or better off disassemblying the trigger and polishing the sear, hammer, etc.?

Re: Volquartsen triggers.

I do. It was worth the drop-in replacement. Haven't had a trigger job on a 10/22 so I couldn't compare. It is set at about 3 lbs and is very crisp. Good luck.

I used the hammer kit from VQ, instead of the entire trigger group, and it is a big improvement. I would imagine that replacing the entire trigger group would be even better. With the hammer kit only, many people report a little creep. I have not noticed it a lot, but I have not shot it enough to really form a strong opinion. You should not have this problem with the entire trigger group.

For a little more, you can get the Kid, far superior IMO.

I have installed several Volq trigger kits in MkII pistols, but only one in a 10/22 rifle. The are better than the Ruger factory parts, but I ended up with creep in all the pistols. A little stone work took care of that, but for the price it would be nice if they were ready to go.

The one I put in the rifle didn't impress me much. I have a couple 10/22's with the KIDD triggers. INCREDIBLE!! More than the cost of the original rifle, but worth every cent. I've used them to shoot the Sportsman's Team Challenge. Can't speak highly enough of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marc O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have installed several Volq trigger kits in MkII pistols, but only one in a 10/22 rifle. The are better than the Ruger factory parts, but I ended up with creep in all the pistols. A little stone work took care of that, but for the price it would be nice if they were ready to go.</div></div>
I installed a Volquartsen HP Kit in a 10/22 a long time ago. The Volquartsen parts are definitely better than the factory Ruger parts, but as as Marc O said they still need to be stoned and for the price they should be ready-to-go out of the package. Mine looked like they were stamped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marc O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one I put in the rifle didn't impress me much. I have a couple 10/22's with the KIDD triggers. INCREDIBLE!! More than the cost of the original rifle, but worth every cent. I've used them to shoot the Sportsman's Team Challenge. Can't speak highly enough of them.</div></div>
Yep, the Kidd trigger is the best. Sorry Jewell owners - the Jewell is out of the equation since the 10/22 Jewell has been out-of-production for many years...

Keith

I fired a 10/22 with a Kidd trigger today set at 6 or 9 oz. It was sweet. The person firing had trouble with it because it would go on automatic bursts of 3 to 5 rds. I think I will save up for the Kidd set instead but order it in 1.5 to 2lbs. I agree with most that we should not have to stone the triggers from Volquartsen if you are already paying a high price. I returned one from power custom because it involved to much work as well. If that is the case might as well work with what you got on your rifle.

The VQ I dropped in my 10/22 was good out of the box. I used a VQ drop in sear on my 77/22 and couldn't be more happy. The VQ I used on my Mark II does have a little creep.

I have installed both HP Kit and Hammer Kit. Both are HUGE improvements over Ruger OEM. If you are not spending up on a complete trigger group, then the kits are probably your best bang for the buck.

IMO

The VQ trigger pack is the least expensive option for getting a match grade trigger.
Comparing the VQ trigger pack to one that I've rebuilt and tuned with VQ parts, the rebuilt unit is a bit nicer.
However the end price is quite a bit greater and I have no less than a dozen man hours invested in it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the Kidd trigger.
Everything is done for you.
The only issue I have is that you cant use the CST auto bolt stop on it.
http://www.cstmtech.com/index.php3?pageid=12
I've come to really enjoy using the bolt stop on my trainer rig.

Another alternate setup would be the Rimfire Technologies trigger group.
http://www.shootersolutions.com/triggergroupc.html
Great company!

If you are the DIY type that like to tinker, you can achieve excellent results by tuning the factory trigger pack as well.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com has some really good guides.

I had a Volquartsen trigger installed after having read a number of positive reviews. To be honest, I'm fairly disappointed in the results - I was expecting better. Then again, I've become so accustomed to my very crisp and light Sako Quad triggers that maybe the bar of expectation was set too high...

I put a Volquartsen trigger group in one of my 10/22's and Love it Didn't have to do anything to it. Or course I wasn't expecting to need to. It's smooth, crisp, and a heck of alot different from the factory group.

Put a Volquartsen trigger group in mine and like others have stated.... was a bit disappointed. I've not had the pleasure to shoot one with the KIDD trigger so can't comment there. Mine is fine NOW.... after I disassembled and fixed it, but for that kinda money.... I should not have had to touch it.

“Does any one have a Volquartsen trigger in their Ruger10/22? If so, what is the trigger pull, and is it worth paying the money or better off disassemblying the trigger and polishing the sear, hammer, etc.?”

Depends on what you want to pay – Kidd is the best and the most expensive.

“I used the hammer kit from VQ, instead of the entire trigger group, and it is a big improvement.”
I agree - If you want to go cheap – just replacing the hammer kit can give you a big improvement over factory.

“I have installed several Volq trigger kits in MkII pistols, but only one in a 10/22 rifle. The are better than the Ruger factory parts, but I ended up with creep in all the pistols.”
I bought and installed the top of the line Volq kit several years ago – certainly better than stock but like the other poster above, not quite what I expected. I would not do this again.

“Another alternate setup would be the Rimfire Technologies trigger group.”
I have bought parts from Rimfire Technologies more than once. I have received great service and would recommend them over Volq parts. Here is a direct link to RT’s website:
http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3

As an aside - I have also tried a Hornet trigger – not bad – reasonable price – but not on my list of choices right now.

So for me here is what I would buy for a 10/22 trigger:
1 Top of the line best performance – Kidd trigger
2 Just want a good trigger say 2-3 pound pull – but do not want to do the work myself – send it to Randy at CPC: http://www.ct-precision.com/
3 Just want a good trigger and want to save money by doing the work – buy parts from Rimfire Technologies and install them.
There are lots more options available for the 10/22 and I have not tried them all, good luck with whatever you decide.

I have a M2 Volquartsen and I didn't like the trigger at all. Just replaced it with a KID this week. The KID is far superior.