• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Volume Primer Crimp Removal

mbeavers1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2019
Montgomery, TX
Getting set up to load a bunch of 223/5.56 on a Dillon 650xl. Have a significant amount of LC brass to process and it all has crimped primers.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to best accomplish this, preferably with an automated tool like the Swage It 650? Read that using this tool voids Dillon warranty.

The SS voids the 650 warranty, unload the 650 and use the funds to get a 1050 or 1100

Reactions: amk
Send the brass to m&s processed brass for 4 cents they will clean swage size trim and send it back to you ready for a primer. Or if it’s precision oriented 223 ammo chamfer the inside case mouth when you get it back from m&s. Why? It will have a slight buildup of brass due to there trimming process.

I use a separate RCBS primer crimp swaging tool. I use a ton of LC 5.56 and 7.62 brass, so it has already paid for itself.
You run it on this as a single stage first? How many rounds are you doing this way? We have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k pieces to process (300 lbs worth).

M&S is sounding better but thats a lot in shipping.

I always hated the swaging method for a variety of reasons. Cutting them out is what I eventually went to using the Sinclair/LE Wilson stuff. Have a Dillon swaging unit laying around picking up dust. PM if if your interesting in buying it.

I tried swaging, could never get them 100 percent prepped for a primer. I now cut them out , works great but slow .

Reactions: NH4X
You run it on this as a single stage first? How many rounds are you doing this way? We have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k pieces to process (300 lbs worth).

M&S is sounding better but thats a lot in shipping.
It is a separate piece of equipment. Bench mounted. I have probably swayed 10k-15k pieces over time, but not all at once.

Reactions: eddie102870
I have a Dillon super swage 600. Works really well for me on pistol and 5.56 ammo. Not trying to make match grade with this so close is good enough for me.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Ya I cut mine as well. The fastest method I've tried thus far.

I use a rounded carbide bit in my drill press. I can do one in each hand in a couple seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_4049.jpg
    IMG_4049.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4050.jpg
    IMG_4050.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 24