• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex 1000 Rangefinder

scsbronco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Michigan
Has anyone used these in the field yet? I checked one out at Cabelas last week it looked pretty good.

Re: Vortex 1000 Rangefinder

There is another thread on here about the unit. Perhaps a search is in order.

In a nutshell, user experiences have not been favorable from what I remember. I like Vortex and was hoping they'd put together a nice unit. I am in the market for a LRF, so I may end up with a Zeiss PRF and save myself the frustration.

I looked I didn't see a write-up. I ll look again...

Thanks for the info

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is another thread on here about the unit. Perhaps a search is in order.

In a nutshell, user experiences have not been favorable from what I remember. I like Vortex and was hoping they'd put together a nice unit. I am in the market for a LRF, so I may end up with a Zeiss PRF and save myself the frustration. </div></div>

ive seen a few threads on them and most of the reviews (including mine) were favorable. what thread are you refering to id like to see what issues folks are having

I have one. So far so good. The HUD was a little "canted" but Vortex said that was "normal" and shouldn't affect performance.

Ranges pretty well all the way to 600 yards (sighted a steel target on a 3-5 degree incline just fine).

I haven't seen any unfavorable reviews. Most things I've read are mostly positive. The compact size can't be beat IMHO.

Haven't used one in the field, but checked one out at the gunshow. Not as good as the Zeiss or Swaro, and you can get the Zeiss for just a tiny bit more money.

Mine has been working great. Just messing around I was able to range the neighbors house at 1021 yards. Works great in thick timber and low light. The clip fits perfectly on my safety harness chest-strap for quick access with minimal movement. It also doesn't hurt that its covered by vortex's warranty.

I looked at the Vortex before I picked up my Leica 1000. For the vortex, I did like the compact size, and it felt good in the hand and rugged. I was turned off by the display. It takes up a bit of field of view and made my eye go in and out of focus from the led to the target and back.

As for the Leica:
Before the hunt, I was able to hit grain elevators out to 1075Y,
Angus cattle (black one) out to 825
Antelope to 720Yards

On the hunt, ranged antelope from 200-650 yards consistently in overcast and sun shine. real world no BS. My harvest was at 500Y.

I went with the CRF 1000 considering my max terminal range is 700Y for the 308, in hindsight, I would have gotten the 1600, to at least have the range to work back to. With the 1000 I can spot some animals past 650 but most time get the "---", so I know they are too far.

Sorry for the tangent, but if anyone has more info on the vortex in the field would be nice to read.

If your LRF is for hunting, you can t go wrong with Ziess, Leica, Swaro. Anything else you are putting to chance.