• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex 2.5-10x44 PST Thoughts...

Parallax

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
Waushara County, Wisconsin
I recently aquired a Noveske N6 18" Heavy rifle and have been trying to decide on the proper optic. I thought I had settled on a NF 2.5-10x32 but now enter the new Vortex 2.5-10x44 PST. Looks like decent glass, nice adjustments, great warranty, same length, zero stop... so I'm leaning that way. I have a Nightforce on my bolt rifle that I love... But the roughly $1K I could save with the Vortex would buy lots of ammo.

Anyone have a 2.5-10x44 PST that could comment ?

Re: Vortex 2.5-10x44 PST Thoughts...

The NF you could find in stock now if you want.

Try doing that with the Vortex.

If it serves your puposes, I'd say go with it and spend the money on ammo. NF is definately nice--and costs accordingly. I have a 4-16 PST due in tomorrow or Sat and think (hope) it will suit my needs pretty well. I'm getting ready to order a Grendel upper that I think the 2.5-10 would be perfect on, but I do prefer FFP. Maybe Vortex will come out with that by the time its done...

IOR 2.5-10FFP is 1100something. Awesome glass and reticle. A used NF 2.5-10x24mm would look good on that rifle too.

Where are the 2.5-10 PST in stock right now?

PST and the NF aren't FFP which would throw them out of my decision. But since it isn't mine. I would wait for reviews for the PST before i jumped on it. If your in a hurry get the nightforce or IOR you can't go wrong with either.

If getting the Nightforce would mean that you would have to go without shooting for a while, I'd just get the Vortex. Trigger time is more important that anything.

If you were just making the reference to being able to buy more ammo to make a point, I'd at least consider the Nightforce. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Vortex Viper scopes (plain old Vipers and the PSTs), but a Nightforce they aren't. Of course, my personal bias is probably showing there.

The best thing to do would be to compare them side by side. If you can see little to no difference, then get the Vortex. On the other hand, you could just get the Vortex without compaing them. That way, you'll never know what you're missing, if the Nightforce is better.

I'll tell you this, the PSTs that I've seen were nice. I did, however, compare a 1-4X model to my Nightforce and my Nightforce had a noticeably better image. Not the say that the PST was bad. The Nightforce was just better. Personally, I wouldn't feel at all handicapped if I had to shoot with a PST.

My Viper PST 2.5-10x mil/mil is arriving some time around Monday from Liberty Optics. I am putting it on an M1A. I chose the PST because of what I've heard regarding the optical quality in relation to the price. For a scope that costs $599 and has nearly similar performance to a Leupold Mark4 (according to reviews only), it's a good deal to go with. I just dropped a ton of money on Federal American Eagle 7.62x51 168gr OTM with the money I saved. I had the same ideology as TonyAngel, in that I'd much rather be shooting than having to save up for a while and not shoot.

A little off topic, but I was in the same boat as you are. I had a 2.5x10 PST on order and just couldn't/wouldn't wait any longer. Opted for the SS 3x9x42 instead. Yes, I gave up illumination, and zero stop, but gained FFP. Warranty is equal - no B.S. if ever needed.

Having tried FFP, I personally won't be going back to SFP on anything except for maybe a .22LR. If the 2.5x10 PST was FFP, I'd get one, but it's not. I'm really liking my SS on my AR.

It should be 30mm IIRC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently aquired a Noveske N6 18" Heavy rifle and have been trying to decide on the proper optic. I thought I had settled on a NF 2.5-10x32 but now enter the new Vortex 2.5-10x44 PST. Looks like decent glass, nice adjustments, great warranty, same length, zero stop... so I'm leaning that way. I have a Nightforce on my bolt rifle that I love... But the roughly $1K I could save with the Vortex would buy lots of ammo.

Anyone have a 2.5-10x44 PST that could comment ? </div></div>

Mine is on the way. I'll let you know what it's like.

I have been considering the PST and SS 3-9 also. My only hold back on the SS is that I had an HD model and the field of view, to me, seemed very small, and if the 3-9 has this same issue I do not want it! I would like to see some reviews on PST before I go that route.

Otherwise I'll probably try for something on the sale page or just keep saving for something else.

Boy am i fixing to get flamed.... I had a 2.5-10 nightforce, and it liked it and it was a good scope and the glass was pretty good, better than my 2.5-10 pst. But.....the glass was not 1000 dollars better than my pst. The zero stops on the pst work just as good, illumination is just as good, tracking is just as good, the scope clicks on the pst are more positive and easier to feel than the NF, pst has a little larger objective and i use my gun for hunting so that is a plus for me, and they are very close in weight. At the end of the day, i sold my NF, and bought one pst from camerland and one from swfa. Both are in my hands. If i was going to do anything different, i MIGHT like to try an ffp, but since i havent ever had one, i don't know what i am missing. Ignorance is bliss...

All good choices, myself I'd want FFP and it's unfortunate that the PST didn't do that version in FFP I'm sure the PST is nice, but if you are okay with SFP and and price isn't an issue I'd take the NF every time. If cost is an issue the PST is probably very close (only time will really tell) and you'd save a lot of money.

Yay, first post.

Mike at CS Tactical (this guy is awesome) just hooked me up Wed. with the Vortex PST 2.5-10x44mm. In fact I was in the same boat as you trying to decide between the NF or the PST.

I went with the PST due to money savings and Mike's guidance (did I mention Mike is awesome?). I'm pretty much green to decent scopes as this would be my first "nice" scope. I figured with the money I saved I could put that towards ammo to shoot and adjust to the glass. Eventually, I'll end up getting the NF to put on the rig but for now the PST will do.

It's supposed to be here next Wed. I'll try and write a review of it on Friday for all to see. I won't be able to tell you how it is on the platform I'm going to put it on as it's on pre-order right now and I may not know a lot about optics but I'll post what I can about it with pictures as hopefully it might help you or others out with similar dilemmas.
smile.gif