• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex 4-16x50 MRAD ffp PST Scope Report

oneshot.onehit

Trigger Puller
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2010
USA
<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex PST 4-16x50 MRAD ffp Scope Report</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle</span>: Remington 700 SPS Tactical ACC-SD, 308 with the 20” heavy barrel
<span style="font-weight: bold">Equipped with a 20 MOA base</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope:</span> Vortex 4-16x50 MRAD with FFP
<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo:</span> Hornady 168 gr A-MAX
The ammo was kept at a 60 degree temp, +/- versus sitting out in the frigid temps all morning
<span style="font-weight: bold">Temperature </span>-- 0 degrees to 5 above

With the new rifle ready to hit the range and an opportunity to shoot a 600 yard cold-bore event in a week, my son and I were chomping at the bit to get this new build up and running.

We have been shooting a Barrett 98B 338 Lapua with Vortex’s 5-20x50 Razor MRAD-EBR3 for about a year now and have been 100% satisfied with the Razor, It’s built like a tank and can take the riggers of being used and abused in the field with the dependability of holding it’s marks. It’s a valid point having a rifle and scope capable of being used and depended on, not pampered yet being spot on down range and serving well and easy to run with.

The new build

Yesterday we made a road trip to a range capable of 50 - 600 yards.
The weather was calm to light winds
Temperature was running right at 0 to 5 degrees above zero when we were done

We set up the chronograph and got everything ready. With that we were ready to start sending a few 168s down range. It took 3 rounds to get a zero with a few follow ups to confirm it. Prior to the trip while home I bore sighted the scope to get it close. The method I commonly use is to pull the bolt and sight through the barrel at an target or bright object at roughly 100 yards while seeing the object in the barrel somewhat centered I then dial the crosshairs to the same target, glance through back and forth scope –versus- barrel to confirm it’s very close and then it’s ready for hitting the real thing at the range and for the most part it can surprisingly close.

Getting your zero at a 100 is fast. For the folks not in the know this is almost as simple. If you have a gun vise holding the gun solid you can do it yourself, otherwise if you have a partner along and you are shooting prone or over a shooting bench, aim your scope at the original aiming point be it a spot or cross hairs on paper typical of a scope target, hold it there and have your partner dial the turrets so that while the gun is rock solid on the original X your cross hairs will move to where the bullet hit on the target. Now send one off and you should be darn close to your aiming point, if not repeat the process to fine tune your zero. Then shoot a couple to confirm.

After we confirmed our zero, we proceeded to adjust the turret cap “zero stops”, here’s where simple becomes a high priority. Remember we are at an outdoor range and it is 3 degrees above zero for a temp, my dang glasses needed for seeing where fogging up some everything gets very stiff and your fingers in time working bare handed get a little less cooperative. With that we loosened the three allen set screws on the caps with the wrench provided by vortex, I lifted the elevation cap straight up and off – you do not have to take the screws all the way out, just run them out a ways and try lifting straight out. At this time with the PST, I started to add the shims provided adding one opposite of the other while stacking them until I filled the narrow gap, when I had the gap filled I may have been able to get one more in, but it was fairly tight and left it out. Vortex has a great video on their web sight explaining in detail on how to add the zero stop shims if anyone is uneasy about the easy process. At this point I slid the turret cap back on going straight down avoiding turning it, also at this point you are able to have the zero hash mark exactly where you need it, then snug down the three set screws using the short side of the allen wrench to hang on to so you do not over torque the set screws. The vertical is done, they will tell you in the video that you should be able to run past the new zero a bit before you will feel the bottom due to the shimming and then watch your red fiber indicator on top of the turret or your zero hash and dial her back to where you need it, mine ended up being a mil under zero, very solid and easy to run.

The windage zero turret cap also has three set screws to loosen, and then you are able to pull it out some and find the zero hash mark which is located between the marks heading right versus the marks heading left, line up your zero hash, push it in straight and tighten the screws in the same manner as before.

Shoot a few to confirm your still set and run your charts and you should be ready to send them off down range.

We ran our dope and we were able to use the 500 yard backstop. Our verticals were a little hot so we played with the FPS on the speed and got our charts spot on.

The weather was dam cold and we had batteries dumping on the radios and on the chronograph, I told my son later that we were having a great day for being 0 degrees out and I will say for being that cold the report on the clicks on the turrets for the PST were still sharp maybe not as snappy and crisp as what you get in a little warmer environment but dang good for that temp we had,they still had a sharp report a good thing. Also running the turret up and down on the verticals a bunch as we both did some shooting, the scope functioned very well and repetitive.

Next week we are off to a 600 yard cold bore event

After that in a few weeks my son and I will be heading off to Thunder Valley Precision to see what the limits and what the repeatability may be for the 308 as well as the 338 Lapua. Note from the dope we should be close to 1400 with the 308, after everything was set we had 16 mils of useable vertical lift in the turret and 9 mils of hash marks in the scope thus 25 mils of vertical past zero.

So far the PST proves to be just like the Razor in performance just in a smaller package and defiantly a smaller bill.

oneshot.onehit

ked6qf.jpg

Re: Vortex 4-16x50 MRAD ffp Scope Report

Its great the hear the PST's are performing well, everyone seems to be pretty happy with them now that the turrets have been fixed.

oneshot...

You know what they say... "Pics or it didn't happen"
grin.gif

I learned when I was 16 that looking at the pictures was a LOT more fun than reading the text.
wink.gif

Just curious if you've had some time to A-B compare the glass between the PST and the Razor. I know they're not the same, but I have a Razor and would at least be a reference...

thanks for the review... have to get out to TVP sometime.

John

jrob300

My son and I will be shooting both rifles and scopes next weekend at a cold bore event, I will do a short review then. We will compare our opinions of the two and report, otherwise they will both get a good workout in a few weeks for a couple days in TVP. I expect they will perform well as required and expected to, the Razor has proved that so with an open mind we will see how the PST carries.

I may be good with rifles and all, but I'm kinda dumb at trying to figure out what to click on when posting and wanting to pull up picture's here. A few other sites I have posted pics on have a management link to click on that browses your documents for picking pictures. I just haven’t figured out what to click on here to do that process yet. I never needed to here until now

oneshot.onehit

Looking forward to the AAR.

Pics... just kidding really. But if you want me to walk you through it PM me... I had a hard time with it too to begin with and a good guy here walked me through it. Least I can do.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Did you find the scope "cursed" or a "piece of shit" as has been reported by another member here? </div></div>

Its okay, after they recalled and completeley redesigned them from scratch, there wont be anymore cursed scopes released. I think I'll wait for at least 20 years before I buy a PST, after they have worked all the bugs worked out of the new design.
grin.gif

Sarcasm?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya and the PST not too bad too.
Did you find the scope "cursed" or a "piece of shit" as has been reported by another member here? </div></div>

No I didn’t Sir

I suppose it can happen to anyone, So far the Razor has proved itself well and I hope the PST continues to carry out its duty as well, if so it’s one heck of a scope for use for the investment.

oneshot.onehit

I gotta learn to just chill a little before I post.
Those testimonies from a guy that didn't even have the scope did get under my skin a little.

I think you will find this scope quite functional. I got one of the original ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Those testimonies from a guy that didn't even have the scope did get under my skin a little.

I think you will find this scope quite functional. I got one of the original ones. </div></div>

Me too, I love mine.

Good report, thanks. I just forwarded the link to a buddy who is doing a build very similar to yours.

Les

If you folks have any questions, fire away

oneshot.

Mike

I can’t try to turn it into a Razor, but there’s no reason to do so when you look at the price swing. But one thing for sure it’s a lot of scope for what you pay. I’m a fan of the EBR3 on the Razor so the MRAD on the PST fits right at home.

Working it in the 0 to +5 degree temps for most of the day last weekend it proved to handle the cold very well. We will review more on it, after we get back from a couple road trips with the rifles that are planed throughout the next few weeks.

oneshot.onehit

Having handled both the Razor and the PST the only thing I would change on the PST is that they use the lower illumination knob of the Razor on the PST . I believe for the money spent on the PST's they have hit the nail on the head as far as features and quality . I guarantee I have spent a lot more on scopes and been a lot less impressed .

Thanks for the reply. I just got word on Friday that my 4-16 ffp mil/mil had shipped from vortex to my dealer so I'm very excited to say the least! I've been shooting with an older falcon and can't wait to have my upgrade!

I've been reluctant to ask this, as I know it's been brought up before, but I've found conflicting info while searching and have yet to read Vortex's take on it, so the hell with it, here it is again. Is the PST glass the same glass used in the regualr Viper line? From the Vortex website, I assume it would be the same. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If it's not the same, how so?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been reluctant to ask this, as I know it's been brought up before, but I've found conflicting info while searching and have yet to read Vortex's take on it, so the hell with it, here it is again. <span style="font-weight: bold">Is the PST glass the same glass used in the regualr Viper line?</span> From the Vortex website, I assume it would be the same. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If it's not the same, how so?

Thanks </div></div> The PST's and HS's are the same ,but the regualar Vipers are different.

Scott

Well, I read this review... drank a cup of coffee....and called SWFA, It was in stock so I bought one for my Cooper .223... now I got two scopes for sale in the optics EE...lol

Thanks for the review! I have been eyeing this model for awhile... I am looking forward to looking through this scope later this week!

Bax

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I read this review... drank a cup of coffee....and called SWFA, It was in stock so I bought one for my Cooper .223... now I got two scopes for sale in the optics EE...lol

Thanks for the review! I have been eyeing this model for awhile... I am looking forward to looking through this scope later this week!

Bax </div></div>

My son and I almost threw the 4-16x50 PST on his Cooper 22, I think it’s a 57M without looking, they make a great rifle and it would have been fun to shoot a little distance and a nice practice rifle.

You should be very pleased with the PST

oneshot.

Ok,so we know the glass is different from the PST to the regular Viper. I wonder if the internals as far as tracking are the same since they have the same amount of travel. I've got two regular Vipers and they track very, very well. I want a PST, time to sell a rifle.

You are making me want to buy a PST. This forum is evil, it just makes me want to spend money on everything.
smile.gif

Replacement PST arrived yesterday.
For a "completely redesigned" scope it sure looks exactly like the original. I think some folks need to get a life and stop trying to knock products they have never even seen.
The upgrade to the turrets are nice. Very positive adjustments.
I'll post a couple pics of it on my Creedmoor to whet your appetite if you are still waiting. Everyone likes pics right?

LucyandBuckonlanding004.jpg

LucyandBuckonlanding005-1.jpg

LucyandBuckonlanding007.jpg

LucyandBuckonlanding012.jpg

Oh yeah, I had another thought.
Some respected folks on this forum have suggested that optical clarity should be the last consideration when considering a tactical scope. I would have to agree.
We are not bird watching with these or looking at the moon.
If this scope proves to be rugged and tracks well I think the weight savings with this scope, which would have to rate higher than last in considerations since that spot is already taken, should make this scope a winner.
In other words, why add a half pound or more for REALLY GOOD optical clarity if optical clarity should rate last in priority? So you can stroke yourself while you admire your glass? Maybe you would be happier taking up a pastime where great glass figures in a bit more?
JMO and YMMV (man I'm good! I think? Is JMO a real abbreviation?)

thanks for the info, I am going to try one this weekend and looking forward to it. For the money I am impressed with the scope. Know of one that has been used and they had no complaints.

This is why I love this forum. People who use the stuff take the time to tell you the honest truth. Thanks for the review. I have been on the fence about a PST but right after I read this I saw Webyshop.coms add showing the 4-16 in stock and ordered one. They don't have a lot of time here but they were on Lowlights sponsor list for the bash so I took a chance. Hope I don't regret it.
Again thanks for taking the time it is much appreciated.
Rad

I agree... glass quality is the only thing about a scope that I believe we can settle for "good enough"! Man I can't wait for my scope to get here on monday!!!!!

Mike

I got to fondle a 4-16 mrad SFP tonite. All I can say is.... Home Run. 60% the weight of my Razor, all the features and half the cost? WOW!

The glass was more than acceptable and everything else was top drawer. I doubt that it's as mechanically tough as the Razor, but I don't break into bank vaults with my rifle either. The *only* real question mark is reliability... and only time will tell there.

I can't wait to get one of these.

John

I too am one of the lucky ones to get one of the 4-16 FFP PST (MOA) from Weby shops. It's supposed to be here tomorrow and we're putting this one on my sons long range Xp100 pistol in 260 and will give a report as soon as we get some range time with it. I've never seen one yet but from the good reports here it's got to be one hell of a lot better than the pistol scopes we've been using out to 1000 yards.

Mine should be in the next order that comes in so we'll both be using same settings for the matches. If it's as good as everyone is claiming it would be like you rifle guys going from a cheap simmons or tasco to a NF. It'll sure be nice to be able to see targets and have reliable turrent adjustments for once.

Topstrap

i went to the range this last weekend and shot two different rifles with this new scope out to 1000 and both scopes did what they were suppose to do. Both held point of impact out to 1000 yds. Shot a lot of different yardages, dialed the scopes for elevation on every shot and they worked. Didn't have any problems with either one. I like the scope and for the money I don't think it can be beat.

Seems like almost everyone would buy a PST if it weren't for the long term reliability unknowns. Warranties are great....but. Very tempting. High speed turrets would really top it off.

Just out of Curiosity has anyone run an extensive tracking test on a PST? If so how did it preform. I see there have been a bunch of threads on these but very little data in terms of the scopes ability in this regard.
Ben

I don't know about extensive but it worked flawlessly from 200 up thru 1000 yards. Then back thru various distances in between then back to 1000 and then finally back to 234 and dead centered it.

Will know more after more matches but so far it's flawless.

Topstrap

Re: Vortex 4-16x50 MRAD ffp PST Scope Report

A little update on the Vortex PST

Dustin was able to make first shot hits at times on 12”x12” steel plates all the way out to 1165 fairly easy, this was very impressive for the 308, some of his farthest shots were out to 1200 yards. Dustin ended up working the 4-16x50 PST ffp scope very well, the scope got a workout being cranked up and down to many different verticals with around 200 rounds fired at a wide spread of mixed up distances, We were very happy with the performance of the scope and it was a perfect match for the Remington 308 SPS AAC rifle with a 20 moa base

As far as conditions and use to this point,

As stated at the beginning of this thread, we set up the PST and the zero stop in 0 to 5 degree temps, that day the scope was run up and down from 100 yards to 500 yards with both of us shooting.

The next bunch of rounds were fired at 600 yards and in a temp range of 25 degrees

The most recent use of the PST was last week at Thunder Valley Precision.
Close to 200 rounds were fired
Rounds included
Confirming Zeros
Running the range from 200 to 1200 yards to confirm dope

We then shot the complete Intimidator course three times while there, and all marks held true, and the last round even the windage turret got a workout.
Yardages dialed on the Intimidator were per round

Pos 1) 563, 950, 1165,938
Pos 2) 552,892,674,795
Pos 3) 276, 366, 587, 1048
Pos 4) 570,499,704,586

To date we are very happy with the accuracy, tracking, and clarity of the PST 4-16x50 ffp
It has served well been bounced around a little and used in extreme cold to 50+ degree weather, wet and dry and has been spot on without any issues, It’s dang near as nice as my Razor and a heck of a lot cheaper. I can’t turn it into a Razor but it’s not far off and it’s defiantly priced right for what the shooter is going to get out of it.

oneshot.onehit

Sounds like you guys are having fun. Thanks for the report. That's the most in depth I've read so far. Now, we need someone to belly up and perform a full on torture test. You'll be a hero if you do. It's already been frozen all you have to do now is throw it off a cliff and run over it with a bull dozer. Oneshot, you're making it more tempting.

I'm thinking of getting one for my Rem 700 Sendero II in 300 Win Mag I wonder how it will take the kick.

Thanks for all the info in this thread guys!

If you're talking about the 6-24, it should be able to take abuse from any magnum, as that's what that mag range is for, at least traditionally. Maybe one of the Vortex guys could chime in.

I've got a 6-24x50 FFP MRAD on order for going on a year now from LO. When it arrives, it's going on my Barrett M99.