• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex 6-24X50 PST Initial Impressions

Jon A

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
www.aadmount.com
I finally got my 6-24!

PICT0064.JPG

PICT0072.JPG

PICT0091.JPG

PICT0102.JPG

I won’t go too in-depth as most of the features and so forth are pretty much identical to the 4-16, but I figured people would want to hear about it.

Firstly, the reticle is straight as an arrow and the clicks are dead nuts on, just like my replacement 4-16. The turret resistance is great.

The biggest difference I notice between this and the 4-16 is that it is noticeably better optically. I know it’s only an example of one so I can’t say if it’s a function of the optical design or not, but the difference is there on this particular unit. Its glass is quite good. It’s a good thing too as obviously a 24X <span style="font-style: italic">needs</span> to be a bit better than a 16X or the magnification will be a waste.

That alone makes this scope a fair amount more enjoyable to use than the 4-16 for me. For me it would be a poor choice for hunting in thick cover so the 4-16 still has its place, but for pretty much everything else I do I’d choose the 6-24 as there is basically no weight penalty. Here are a few pics:

100 yds on 16X:

PICT0107.JPG

on 24X:

PICT0105.JPG

The first 10 rounds with it:

PICT0118.JPG

300 yds (it was close to dark so it isn't the best pic):

PICT0112.JPG

You can easily see the rings in the bull. For those wondering or worried about the FFP reticle being "too thick" you can see the X ring on that target which is only 3/4" or so and center it.

FYI, mounted in my 20 MOA AADMOUNT, it has about 15.5 Mils of up and 3.5 Mils of down from a 100 yd zero. So it’s enough to get even my rainbow-trajectory Grendel past 1100 yds. I was a little worried about that but it looks like it’ll have enough.

One note, when the elevation is nearly bottomed out you can see a bit of shadowing on 6X—I’ve seen this on many other FFP scopes though, it’s nothing to be concerned about. It goes away as soon as you turn up the power a bit.

One more thing I have to mention, there is a bit of play in the power ring on this scope. It doesn’t affect the function of the scope and doesn’t really bother me (I don’t actually even notice it in actual use). Had it not been for the other thread I may not have noticed it for quite some time. For right now I just want to use the scope and if I find it bothers me at some point in the future I’ll think about it then. But for now it’s not nearly serious enough to take one of these scopes out of circulation. It’s really the only small negative I could find, and believe me, I looked.
wink.gif

Overall, this is one heck of a scope for the money.

Re: Vortex 6-24X50 PST Initial Impressions

Nice pics, I am finally taking my 6x24 FFP to the range tomorrw, got some loads fixed up for it today

Excellent. It's nice to see good reviews coming in about the new PSTs. It's certainly better for info than specs on paper (especially after a redesign was necessary after halting production on the first run).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent. It's nice to see good reviews coming in about the new PSTs. It's certainly better for info than specs on paper (especially after a redesign was necessary after halting production on the first run).

</div></div> lol.

Man, people have had these in hand for over a week now but I was starting to think I would have to wait until I got mine to see any reviews.

Thanks for the review!

looks nice and thanks for the review. cant wait to get mine.

Thanks for taking the time to post the review. Your positive initial assessment makes me feel better about having one ordered for months now.

I hope it shows up soon...

How was the fit and finish. Were the clicks nice and positive?

Jon,

I can never see any of your goddamn pictures. They aren't "red Xs", but rather just blank spots in your text.

Where do you host your pictures? Is this place compatible with Firefox's browser?

Nice to see the positive review. Pics are great. Should be getting mine within the next couple of weeks 6x24 FFP mil/mil (can't wait)
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon,

I can never see any of your goddamn pictures. They aren't "red Xs", but rather just blank spots in your text.

Where do you host your pictures? Is this place compatible with Firefox's browser? </div></div>

I surf it in FIrefox. Check your security settings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this place compatible with Firefox's browser?</div></div>

Yes, and the pictures are worth looking at. Nice work Jon.

-Pat

Nope, it isn't my security settings, I just can't access his server;

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Server not found

DNS error - cannot find www.jonaadland.com</div></div>

Any more ideas?

thanks for the review! I'm about to pull the trigger and order one..

Hey Jon, How does the glass compare to other optics you own like the Leupold Mark 4, Nightforce, Sightron and stuff? would be curious to know

Jon, thanks for the review. Made me more excited to get my 6-24!

Jon,

Nice review.

When you say the glass is better on the 6-24 do you think it's better than both copies of your 4-16 the original and the replacement? One would hope the optical quality would be very similar between the two. It will be interesting to see if that's a consistent theme or if there is just a lot of variation in glass quality in this line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How was the fit and finish. Were the clicks nice and positive? </div></div>
Fit and finish is nice, no complaints. The clicks are nice--very positive, audible and solid.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can never see any of your goddamn pictures. They aren't "red Xs", but rather just blank spots in your text.</div></div>
I'm sorry, I don't know what's the problem. Are you viewing from work? If so it could be a company firewall of some sort that doesn't like my site. Other than that I don't have any ideas.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt_3479</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Jon, How does the glass compare to other optics you own like the Leupold Mark 4, Nightforce, Sightron and stuff? would be curious to know </div></div>
So far the only other scope I've compared against in detail was the IOR 3.5-18 I was also shooting at the range on Sunday. Not surprisingly, power for power the IOR wins pretty easily. I'll try and compare against more scopes as I get the chance.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you think it's better than both copies of your 4-16 the original and the replacement? One would hope the optical quality would be very similar between the two.</div></div>
Yes. While I didn't have them both at the same time, I believe both 4-16's were the same, as far as I could tell. I did compare both against other scopes and they seemed the same.

Jon,

Thanks for posting. Excellent pictures.

Glad to hear goods things so far, i have one on back order.

Thanks for the nice review. Still anxiously waiting for mine to ship!

I too have one of these on order. Waiting patiently for it. Great review.

Also where did you get those targets from. .1mil 100 yard targets. Downloaded??

Thanks

Another pesky question if you don't mind. How forgiving is the eyebox on the 6-24 (and the 4-16 for that matter)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hifly78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also where did you get those targets from. .1mil 100 yard targets. Downloaded?? </div></div>

+1

What comes in the box? I have yet to hear or see what ships in the box with the scope.

+1 on the eyebox question. I think I might buy one of these as my "load development" scope for my AR's (which would normally wear a <10x scope).

Thanks for the review Jon!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hifly78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also where did you get those targets from. .1mil 100 yard targets. Downloaded??</div></div>
I made them. I threw the file on the web for those who want it: http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/FiveCirclesMilCompact.pdf . Print with "No Scaling."
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another pesky question if you don't mind. How forgiving is the eyebox on the 6-24 (and the 4-16 for that matter)? </div></div>
I didn't really notice anything one way or the other. I'll try and do some comparisons in the coming days. I guess the fact I shot it on 24X the whole time and didn't even think to notice the eyebox must mean it couldn't have been very picky. But like I said, I'll try and consciously notice it for you.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308garand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What comes in the box? I have yet to hear or see what ships in the box with the scope. </div></div>
Let's see... A sunshade, wrench for turrets, battery, shims for the zero stop and a Vortex pin for your tie. I think that's it.

In the box is the scope, sunshade, battery for illumination and shims for the zero stop and also little Allen wrench, No types of caps what so ever and a cloth and lapel pin with vortex logos. that's what was in my box

Sorry about the hijack, but do you mind telling what your wait time was?

I love the through the scope pics...kudos on your skills.

@glock24 - The DNS server your using doesn't contain an entry for his server for whatever reason. Point your DNS requests to another server (68.4.16.30 works fine)

c:\><span style="font-weight: bold">nslookup www.jonaadland.com</span>
Server: ns1.oc.cox.net
Address: <span style="font-weight: bold">68.4.16.30</span>

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: jonaadland.com
Address: 72.29.73.223
Aliases: www.jonaadland.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M14_Fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@glock24 - The DNS server your using doesn't contain an entry for his server for whatever reason. Point your DNS requests to another server (68.4.16.30 works fine)

c:\><span style="font-weight: bold">nslookup www.jonaadland.com</span>
Server: ns1.oc.cox.net
Address: <span style="font-weight: bold">68.4.16.30</span>

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: jonaadland.com
Address: 72.29.73.223
Aliases: www.jonaadland.com
</div></div>

Geek.

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another pesky question if you don't mind. How forgiving is the eyebox on the 6-24 (and the 4-16 for that matter)? </div></div>
I didn't really notice anything one way or the other. I'll try and do some comparisons in the coming days. I guess the fact I shot it on 24X the whole time and didn't even think to notice the eyebox must mean it couldn't have been very picky. But like I said, I'll try and consciously notice it for you.</div></div>

Excellent Thank You.

Looks great! Thanks for the pics. I see one of these going on my 5R. I was considering a Sightron, but like the features of these better. Good to hear about the glass.

Hopefully, they're shipping in quantity now. Anybody know who's got some in stock?

HOLY COW. they're out and available! Saawweeeeettt!! Vortex is just on the other side of the county for me, I'll have to go visit!! (with $$ of course!)

I'm VERY pleased to hear you're happy with your scope. Vortex has been very supportive of LE in the area, answering questions, replacing equipment when there may be an issue, and giving me and my dept. some kick-ass customer service. Not fake either, like they GENUINELY want to help and have their products succeed.

I'm sure the setback of the first production didn't make them, happy, but it's better than pushing out the product and having a mob of angry one-time customers.

Nice photos by the way!!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M14_Fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hopefully, they're shipping in quantity now. Anybody know who's got some in stock?</div></div>

I'm still waiting for mine too. Sounded like #8 on wait list from CS Tactical from a July Order. Hopefully they catch up soon.

I think this one is going to be a hit.

Thanks for the great review and target link JonA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hifly78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M14_Fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hopefully, they're shipping in quantity now. Anybody know who's got some in stock?</div></div>

I'm still waiting for mine too. Sounded like #8 on wait list from CS Tactical from a July Order. Hopefully they catch up soon.

I think this one is going to be a hit.

Thanks for the great review and target link JonA
</div></div>

Sweet, if you're #8, I must be lower on the list since I ordered one in April!!!

I ordered my in March 2010 from LO and still haven't seen mine yet. 6-24x50 FFP mil/mil.

This is kind of like waiting for the ATF to approve a Form 4 for a can. Noone knows when it'll happen. Maybe we should start a "I ordered this model on this date from this vendor and I got mine on such and such date" thread. I still think these things are barely trickling in.

I think I might be S.O.L. I ordered mine from LO just this past January 2011. I have the odd feeling I might be waiting a little while longer. Anticipations a bitch.

Yep I'm on for an early may order from CS as well. Im not sure why Vortex focused soo much on the 1-4 pst's when they had the ffp higher mag models hyped for so long. It's getting farther and farther away from the end of SHOT and the shooting season is FAST approaching....

From what I understand, the 4-16's and 6-24's should loosen up quite a bit in march.

I think folks are going to be very happy once these get out in force. In my opinion, Vortex has hit a home run.

Great review. I think the PST is going to be a great seller for Vortex. Im also happy to not see a black tunnel vision like I get around my vari x 3 Leupolds. I may have to look further into the PST series

How finicky is they eye relief, between a Supersniper and NF?