• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST vs Sightron 8-32x56 SIII

375ultra

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
How does the glass compare? I want a ffp but not at the expense of dark edges on higher powers. I wont use powers below about 14x.

Re: Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST vs Sightron 8-32x56 SIII

I'd go with the Viper because of the features. When you think about it why would you be looking at the edges of the scope when shooting.

I am looking at these same scopes except I would be more interested in the 6-24 SIII. I'm mostly interested in glass quality since I can't look through them myself, the other aspects I can I decide on my own.

I use hold over exclusivly for hunting so the edges must be clear.

Gotcha, then the covered turrets would also be a good idea then.

I compared the glass of the PST 4-16x50 directly with the SIII 6-25x50, both set on 16x, and for these eyes the SIII's glass was noticeably better. The difference was noticeable in the 6-24 PST also, esepecially above 16x.

Scott

Thank you Scott, that was exactly the information I was looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I compared the glass of the PST 4-16x50 directly with the SIII 6-25x50, both set on 16x, and for these eyes the SIII's glass was noticeably better. <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">The difference was noticeable in the 6-24 PST also, esepecially above 16x.</span></span>Scott</div></div>

Can you clarify this please?
Better than the 4-16?
Worse than the SIII?

Both PSTs, toward the top end of their respective magnification ranges, did not perform as well as the SIII 6-24x50 I directly compared them too. The SIII sets the bar quite high for an under $1000 scope, in terms of the performance of the optics, and I feel the PSTs did not eclipse it when I looked through all three.

Scott

But when you factor the reticle in - I'd think that PST would eclipse SIII. In fact it looks that Vortex has the best (for my taste
smile.gif
) reticles now.

The reticle is very well executed, just about perfect for an FFP application, in my opinion. I was referring strictly to the glass. The other features of the PST shows it has a lot to offer the shooter.

I have been shooting a SIII 8-32x56 since April. The glass is oustanding and the scope tracks very well. I've gone back and forth from 1k to 100 yards (which is 35 SMOA) on different days and had the scope come right back to my 100 yard zero. I've also been able to see .30 cal holes in white paper at 700 yards. The glass compares very well to scopes costing twice as much. I've compared it to a NF 8-32x56 side by side. On a glass alone comparison it does very well.
Now, if the clicks were a little stronger and they offered more reticle choices and FFP, they really would be nice. That being said, I still like mine. It was purchased for 1k F-Class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nchandmade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been shooting a SIII 8-32x56 since April. The glass is oustanding and the scope tracks very well. I've gone back and forth from 1k to 100 yards (which is 35 SMOA) on different days and had the scope come right back to my 100 yard zero. I've also been able to see .30 cal holes in white paper at 700 yards. The glass compares very well to scopes costing twice as much. I've compared it to a NF 8-23x56 side by side. On a glass alone comparison it does very well.
Now, if the clicks were a little stronger and they offered more reticle choices and FFP, they really would be nice. That being said, I still like mine. It was purchased for 1k F-Class. </div></div>

Thanks for the nice summary. You summed up how I feel about the scope.

Scott

It will be very interesting indeed if Sightron decides to seriously step into the matching illuminated reticle, FFP fray. I LOVE SIII glass. With matching knobs and FFP, they could <span style="text-decoration: underline">really</span> stir the pot. <span style="font-style: italic">IF</span> they kept the cost under Mark 4 territory. Very overpriced IMHO. F1 too.

John