• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex AMG 6-24x50 question for those who have one

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
I just put one on my Vudoo 22. It won't focus at 25 yards like it says it capable of doing? Anyone have the same results?

I have 2 and they both parallax fine to 25yrds, only issue I had was my fault by over tightening elevation set screws. 5"pounds is plenty?

looks like tis going back. Not good when Vortex can't even build the US models well. Annoyed

The crosshairs are very clear. Its just the target that's out of focus. That's a parallax issue. My power ring doesn't move vey smooth either. I need to pull out my other AMG and compare it.

The crosshairs are very clear. Its just the target that's out of focus. That's a parallax issue. My power ring doesn't move vey smooth either. I need to pull out my other AMG and compare it.
I understand what you’re saying, but at least try this - set your diopter where the reticle is way out of focus and then try to focus at 25 yards with the parallax knob. Assuming you’re able to get focus, then leave the parallax knob alone and try to adjust the diopter so the reticle is sharp.

Also, have you tried to back off of max magnification? DOF is really thin at 24x and 25 yards.

I 100% agree with what patriot said, mag ring are a little tight but wear in After a bit.. switchview helps aswell?

I spoke to Vortex and they said the same. I used a torque wrench and checked alignment with a lapping bar. Guess I got a bad one. Even at 6x its not clear. Paul said even 24x should be clear at 25 yards. Its on a Vudoo V22 safe bet the action and rail are true.

They stated to make sure the rings weren't over tight and that they are aligned property. He stated it should focus at 25 yards no problem.
Yeah it should, but once again - not if you don’t have the diopter set right. The diopter and parallax both have to be set properly for the image and reticle focus to be simultaneously sharp and for the target to be free of parallax error.

I’m sure there’s a chance it’s a bad one, but it’s also worth double checking diopter settings before you send it in IMHO.

Yes it's a pain to buy a new scope and have to send it in; however, it happens to every scope. I just bought a new Schmidt and Bender and have to send it in because the parallax knob is way too tight. The good news is Vortex has about the best CS I've experienced, they treated me like a VIP and had my scope back fast.

Reactions: Stevo3556
I have a cheapo Vortex Crossfire 6-24X50 and it focuses fine near and far. I'd caution that you made sure of the torque setting when mounting as over torquing can cause this and other issues. Tighter is not better. Buy good rings and mount with a torque driver. I think 15 inch pounds on the rings is nominal...too much more than this and you can crush the tube slightly and cause all kinds of issues.

Just sayin.

VooDoo

Read my post I used a lapping bar for alignment and a torque wrench. I have a lot of high end optics and realize how critical proper mounting is.

Yes it's a pain to buy a new scope and have to send it in; however, it happens to every scope. I just bought a new Schmidt and Bender and have to send it in because the parallax knob is way too tight. The good news is Vortex has about the best CS I've experienced, they treated me like a VIP and had my scope back fast.

Just sent my Razor AMG away because the parallax knob was binding and the turret locks were so tight I could barely unlock them. Vortex treated me unreal and I should have it back this week, which would be less than a 2 week turnaround. Being from Canada, I had to go through the Canadian branch of Vortex and they send it to the states for repair. Even going through them was seamless.

Reactions: Glassaholic
One thing I'll say - I've noticed with mine that in order to actually get the diopter focused correctly, I needed to find a target at distance, set parallax so that the image was parallax free (regardless of image focus), and only then adjust the diopter. I thought it was my eye focusing speed messing with my ability to truly set the diopter focus - the standard "focus the reticle while looking at a white wall" kept resulting in me with the scope being way out of focus when parallax was correct. But, I've only messed with one AMG - it's possible that they're all that way. That could be meddling with checking the diopter focus, if so.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I just got the scope back today. They replaced the erector tube to fix the power ring being rough and adjusted the parallax so it will focus correctly at 25 yards. I can't wait to break out my Vudoo V22 this weekend. It was fixed fast but it shouldn't have passed QC the first time. Especially when you think of how much they cost.

I spoke to Vortex and they said the same. I used a torque wrench and checked alignment with a lapping bar. Guess I got a bad one. Even at 6x its not clear. Paul said even 24x should be clear at 25 yards. Its on a Vudoo V22 safe bet the action and rail are true.
Nothing against Vortex, all Manufactures occasionally build a bad product. I had to send in my HS LR due to bad focus. I played with it a bunch but could never get it to focus in.
The great thing was, Vortex took great care of me

Well I have to say I was pretty pissed off when I went to zero my new scope. The issues were fixed but the AH who did the work cross threaded my evaluation turret. I can't remove the cover to adjust it. Its going back for the 2nd time. I even used a penny and a quarter and the bent trying to remove the zero stop cap. Well done Vortex.

Well I have to say I was pretty pissed off when I went to zero my new scope. The issues were fixed but the AH who did the work cross threaded my evaluation turret. I can't remove the cover to adjust it. Its going back for the 2nd time. I even used a penny and a quarter and the bent trying to remove the zero stop cap. Well done Vortex.
Oh no! I can definitely see where that would ruin your day! Yep, I would be mad as hell to. I hope it’s done right this time!

Where the heck is QC with this kind of crap? I don't get how this stuff gets out of the factory. And how do you cross thread something and just go ahead and say "screw it, I'll just send it out". I've known every time I've cross threaded something. If I was Vortex I'd find out which employee did that and dock his pay or switch his butt to floor sweeping supervisor. Probably would screw that up too. I would have been PO'ed! I see it more and more, people just don't care. Even with susposed high end items.

Edit to add. Yes, I've made plenty of mistakes, and I've owned them all.

Last edited:
Well replacement scope is gtg. They focus isn't as close as I'd like but Ill deal.

I’ve owned a couple amg’s and looked through quite a few more. This seems to be one of the only “complaints” I can find.

Some parralax down to the prescribed 25 perfect, some even less than 25, and others are closer to 30.