• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex AMG???? Thoughts reviews??

Had one of the first ones out and like it a lot. I have run it through tracking tests out to 10 mils and it tracks perfectly. Glass is great. It's as good as the Razor II in tracking and glass but with some different ergos as the knobs are smaller to get the weight down to the 28.5 ounces. Some small differences like knobs and no turn indicator either. The EBR 7 reticle is very nice too. A little less elevation but still plenty for long range as it's about the same as the S&B 5-25s and no one has complained about them.

If you are looking for the lighter package scope then the AMG will serve you very well.

Used it on my 20" .308 to bang steel to 1020 yards and it tracked perfectly.
DqFU1O1.jpg

Well somebody has to take the other tack. Bought one and replaced a NF NXS on my .308. Performance tanked despite going back over the mechanical stuff like properly mounted and zeroed, etc. Took it off and NF NXS back on, and rifle shot as it used to, under 1/2 MOA. Replaced another night force on 300 WM with AMG. Similar degradation of performance. NF back on, performance ramps up. Sent the scope into Vortex to have them go over it as well as fix a very sticky windage knob. Knob fixed and scope checked out, said all was A-OK and returned. I had had enough however - sold it.

I will point out I am not a huge fan of Christmas Tree reticles and that was also a factor in the sale. So this is only one experience with a single AMG, but I think I gave it a real chance to shine and it did not for me. I do notice they come up for sale a bit more frequently on the Hide recently FWIW.

I am extremely happy with my AMG- Especially the EBR 7 reticle - I think it is an improvement over the previous iterations. I personally would prefer a floating center dot, but that's picky.

I spent months trying to decide on glass, and I am glad I went with it. I would urge new members to just keep in mind its intended philosophy and design features. 30 mm tube 6-24 x scope with a nice clean christmas tree reticle. I currently have it on an AR 10 6.5 CM / 308 gas gun, and I feel like this is an ideal application in my world.

I am a big fan of the glass for most intended applications.
Many folks blow it off with it's 30 mm tube, but I am very happy with it, and don't feel like I am losing all that much in comparison to my kahles k624i. Eye relief is good, piece of mind is there w/ the vortex warranty.

If weight is of concern- it makes a lot of sense to me.

spend $300 more and get the khales - the difference between the glass is amazing. I bought one, had it for 1 week - compared to my cheapest scope (Kahles) it was like looking through a coke bottle, guy i sold it to here on the hide (a nightforce shooter) had it for 1 week and resold it for the same reason. You get what you pay for i guess.

spend $300 more and get the khales - the difference between the glass is amazing. I bought one, had it for 1 week - compared to my cheapest scope (Kahles) it was like looking through a coke bottle, guy i sold it to here on the hide (a nightforce shooter) had it for 1 week and resold it for the same reason. You get what you pay for i guess.

Ya the SKMR3 is hard to not love.... I wish the AMG had that reticle because I don't like a heavy rifle. How much heavier is the kahles?

I am testing one and like it a lot so far. Contrary to most people here, I am not a huge fan of the reticle. It probably works well for PRS, but while I like the floating crosshair, the rest of the horizontal is busier than I like. That is a personal preference though. I am probably the only person who liked the original EBR-2 more than EBR-2B and C.

I am not done with it yet, but I like the overall package and weight overall quite a bit. It seems to track true and is currently sitting on my 338 to see if it falls apart. I still need to finish with optical tests, but it is looking very decent so far.

The eyepiece design makes it very easy to get behind which I like.

ILya

Kahles k624i 33.5oz
Vortex AMG 28.8oz
so 4.7oz

4.7 ain't that bad at all, I've seen guys running that kinda weight in bubble levels. I just started shooting PRS club matches and have only seen one AMG out there. I was thinking that was due to how new it was and not that people just prefured the Razor G2. After reading what you guys think maybe I'm wrong.

The AMG is a good scope with solid features. It probably offers the most at a lighter weight. Turrets have good feel and repeatable. If I could change it, I would make it about 13" long and hopefully shave a few more ounces. Additionally the EBR7 is a good reticle, but I agree the horizontal is busy for me with 0.2 hashes up top and a bold 0.5 hash below. Like all scopes if you shoot it enough you get used to it. So I don't mind it as much any more. With that said I think the NF MILC has every 0.2 hash configuration out there trumped. The orientation with 1 down, 2 up, and 1 down is extremely intuitive and thus fast.

One thing that is rarely discussed is a scopes ability to handle parallax error.. I think Frank touched on this at one point, but the AMG shines in this area. Anything past 450-ish yards is pretty much parallax free without readjusting. This comes in handy engaging multiple targets under time.
I also really like the reticle and how the center section is thinner, 0.2 hashes, general layout, etc.
turrets are good, setting zero stop is easy. If I ever decide to upgrade my match rifle, the AMG will be perfect on a mid-weight hunting rifle as well.

I have 2 rifles AMG-equipped that replaced NXS 5.5-22s. 1 of those AMGs just shipped out to exchange moa for mil. I will be doing the same for the other when I get the first one swapped out. The EBR-7 reticle is not obtrusive or busy at all. 2 other rifle sport NF SHVs with MIL-R reticles and while I like their reticle and the scope is hard to beat for the money, the AMG has amazing clarity, even at max power, and the adjustments are spot-on. Both scopes are similar in weight and size, but the AMG is twice the cost but almost twice the magnification. I have a Gen2 Razor going on a 300WM currently being built. I can just barely see a difference in max-power clarity with the AMG besting the Gen2 in that regard. The Gen2 is a tank, so if you're looking to tote it far, count on the extra 1.25lbs that go with it.

I have 2 rifles AMG-equipped that replaced NXS 5.5-22s. 1 of those AMGs just shipped out to exchange moa for mil. I will be doing the same for the other when I get the first one swapped out. The EBR-7 reticle is not obtrusive or busy at all. 2 other rifle sport NF SHVs with MIL-R reticles and while I like their reticle and the scope is hard to beat for the money, the AMG has amazing clarity, even at max power, and the adjustments are spot-on. Both scopes are similar in weight and size, but the AMG is twice the cost but almost twice the magnification. I have a Gen2 Razor going on a 300WM currently being built. I can just barely see a difference in max-power clarity with the AMG besting the Gen2 in that regard. The Gen2 is a tank, so if you're looking to tote it far, count on the extra 1.25lbs that go with it.

What does Vortex charge to swap our reticles and turrets?

They dont, to my knowledge. I am either selling my scopes to help fund the same scope in a mil reticle or trading with some one who has the scope I want and wants mine.

I noticed the AMG was sharper than the Razor Gen 2 by roughly 5-10%, but the generous eye relief and reticle on the Razor were more important to me than clarity, weight, and color.

I am testing one and like it a lot so far. Contrary to most people here, I am not a huge fan of the reticle. It probably works well for PRS, but while I like the floating crosshair, the rest of the horizontal is busier than I like. That is a personal preference though. I am probably the only person who liked the original EBR-2 more than EBR-2B and C.

I am not done with it yet, but I like the overall package and weight overall quite a bit. It seems to track true and is currently sitting on my 338 to see if it falls apart. I still need to finish with optical tests, but it is looking very decent so far.

The eyepiece design makes it very easy to get behind which I like.

ILya

Ilya, you mention the eyepiece design makes the scope very easy to get behind. In this regard, how close it it to a Kahles K624i in regards to getting comfortable behind?

Well somebody has to take the other tack. Bought one and replaced a NF NXS on my .308. Performance tanked despite going back over the mechanical stuff like properly mounted and zeroed, etc. Took it off and NF NXS back on, and rifle shot as it used to, under 1/2 MOA. Replaced another night force on 300 WM with AMG. Similar degradation of performance. NF back on, performance ramps up. Sent the scope into Vortex to have them go over it as well as fix a very sticky windage knob. Knob fixed and scope checked out, said all was A-OK and returned. I had had enough however - sold it.

I will point out I am not a huge fan of Christmas Tree reticles and that was also a factor in the sale. So this is only one experience with a single AMG, but I think I gave it a real chance to shine and it did not for me. I do notice they come up for sale a bit more frequently on the Hide recently FWIW.

What is the eyebox like? Super tight . I tried one of the 1st gen PST's and haven't even bothered to pick up one since. I know that was ages ago and Vortex moves fast on things so I have been meaning to ash about the eyebox. Someone mentioned that the Razor sec gen had easy eyebox to work with but at 48 OZ for a 3-18 ( or the 6-24)

I have two and I like them a lot. Tracking is dead on, the EBR7 reticle is nice but as somebody said before I would like a center dot better than a cross. Turrets clics are clear and audible, locking turrets sometimes are a little bit harder to engage. Zero stop let's you go some travel under zero which is very desirable when shooting at short distances. Infinite zero is an awesome feature. Eye box is nice but not as good as the Razor Gen2.

Opposite situation for me. I loved the Kahles but man it has really bad CA, resolution is excellent and I liked the top parallax and SKMR reticle, but what turned me off the most was how the Kahles performed in low light, not sure if it is the multicoating they use or something was wrong with mine, it just didn't have the clarity and contrast I was hoping for with low light shooting. Enter the Vortex AMG and Vortex solved all the issues of the Kahles for me and as a bonus it is lighter. Granted the AMG only has a 50mm objective but it performed better in low light than the Kahles 56mm objective. My AMG is definitely not a coke bottle as mentioned above, resolution is top tier and on par with the Kahles, CA was almost non-existent, contrast and clarity are managed very well. One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes bum scopes slip through the cracks, reading through the forums I think just about every manufacturer has had someone who felt their scope did not perform to the level of others, we also all have certain expectations and when we pay top dollar for scopes and feel like it doesn't live up to our expectation it is hard to get over that. Are there better scopes than the AMG out there, yes, I believe there are, but you're going to have to pay more to get them and none of them come in a package under 30oz with the magnification range the AMG offers. Would I have preferred a 12" long, 3.5-35x56 that only weighed 20oz with rock solid mechanics and glass better than TT, certainly, but that scope doesn't exist and that's where we find ourselves in the market today, there are many scopes that will get the job done, but in a sea of options we have to choose what we think will be the best optic for our purpose and that purpose may be different for many shooters, the good news is that there are so many options today.

Reactions: tydex21
So far, I like what I'm seeing from mine.. don't have much time behind it yet but it looks to be a great optic.. Will report back later after I've had more time.

Vortex could release a $2500 dried dog turd and people would rave over its "glass" and lifetime warranty.

I think the AMG is a good optic but overpriced. I think the $1900-2000 range would make it a much more appealing scope.

Last edited:
Vortex could release a $2500 dried dog turd and people would rave over its "glass" and lifetime warranty.

I think the AMG is a good optic but overpriced. I think the $1900-2000 range would make it a much more appealing scope.

Your right! I agree 100%. I still want one.

I replaced both of my Nightforce NXS with the Vortex AMG. IMO it's the Nightforce NXS that is grossly overrated at it's price point considering it's parallax issues, inferior glass, SFP, the nasty magnification adjustment, and the not easily adjustable illumination. The Vortex AMG is better in all of these areas and it has locking turrets and nicer reticles. It's not even a comparison.

Yeah because a made in the USA scope with tons of features, a good power range, great glass and very usable reticle and all in a 28.5 ounce package is way over priced at $2500. LOL The AMG is very far from a dog turd and is priced right where it should be as it competes with optics $500-1000 more without a problem.

I wasn't comparing the AMG to a turd, just noting how people will jump up and down over anything vortex releases. I think the 6-24 mag range and limited travel with a 30mm tube just make other scopes more appealing in its price range.

Had the AMG been released prior to the G2R, people would be going bananas over the G2R right now and selling their AMG’s to get one.

Last edited:
I wasn't comparing the AMG to a turd, just noting how people will jump up and down over anything vortex releases. I think the 6-24 mag range and limited travel with a 30mm tube just make other scopes more appealing in its price range.

Had the AMG been released prior to the G2R, people would be going bananas over the G2R right now and selling their AMG’s to get one.

It doesn't have limited travel though. It has more internal elevation than a 34mm S&B 5-25, which people love for long range.

People always swoon over new scopes no matter who makes it but with the AMG weight reduction and similar features to Razor II it was what a lot of people wanted. Vortex just gave it to them and they were happy with the product and specs.

I though it had less elevation than that, my mistake.

I'm not knocking on Vortex as much as I am the fanboy's, they are nipping at the heals of the Athlon crowd. ;)

Limited travel? I think I'm getting 18 mils of up and then add another 10 with the reticle. 28 mils is way plenty for any rifle that is a good fit for an AMG.

sorry I see this was already addressed.

I was going to say, I am getting 19.1 mils in my AMG with a 20 MOA base. That will get me a mile with a flatline creed just with turret revolution.

I though it had less elevation than that, my mistake.

I'm not knocking on Vortex as much as I am the fanboy's, they are nipping at the heals of the Athlon crowd. ;)

Have you messed with the any of the Athlons either, or do you just hate everything new. LOL.

spend $400 more, get a khales or NF - you will be much happier.

I love my amg in moa retical. It has been great so far. I have it on a ruger precision in 6mm creedmoor. I am a rookie and it has by far been dead on ever time I take it out to target shoot with it.( I have been pretty rough with it and it has kept zero so far). But I have only had it a little over 3 months I think it’s a good buy so far.

I sold 2 NF NXS 5.5-22x56 to buy my 2 AMGs. Have 2 NF SHV F1s also, but they are just not as nice as the AMG, and neither were the NXSs. But that is my opinion. Have a G2 4.5-27 that has an almost-as-good picture but is a big pig in comparison to the AMG. I think the turrets, and overall size of the AMG are just perfect. As for price ... well if you pay the MSRP of $3400, then yes, it is overpriced. Pay $2200-2400 and you are getting a good value. Not to mention it's made in the USA, except the reticle.

Take this for what it's worth... I'm enjoying mine, but I would agree with the above that the center crosshair feels a little heavy in the scope. But, it's plenty usable on "real" targets. Just trying to shoot small groups at 100y it feels a little thick. Mechanically, it seems sound, based on running tall target tests, etc. This is my first modern scope, so I can't compare it to others. However, I'm a professional photographer, and I spend a lot of time looking through fantastic glass - and I'm a pretty solid judge of optical quality. The optics in the scope seem pretty clean, to me. I've not found a situation yet where it showed significant CA or distortion.

Given the "made in USA" part (I have one with a US made reticle, too!), I'd say it works pretty darn good for me. I get about 17 mils of elevation on the turrets, which means I'd have to hold over about 4 mils to get to a mile w/ my 140 RDF load. I'm not sure that's going to be a huge issue for me - it's not a common shot in the precision matches, to my understanding (and if I start looking at a mile regularly, I'll consider developing a load w/ a Flatline bullet)

What does Vortex charge to swap our reticles and turrets?

They wanted to charge me 400$ for a reticle change on my gen 2 razor, and don't even offer other reticles like horus... I said no thank you.

Wow 400 bucks is pretty crazy... probably better off selling it and buying one with the reticle you want.

Go ask Nightforce how much they charge.

But it only has 65 MOA of elevation. Vortex could have done better with this aspect of the scope, especially at that price tag.

Vortex's website/marketing people need to fix or explain this. The MRAD Overview page notes 27.5 MRAD of elevation travel (convert to >94 MOA) whereas the MOA Overview page seems to incorrectly list 71 MOA?

Interesting. Kind of makes sense because I'm running an ARC mount with 9 mils of slope. 65 MOA/2 = 19 mils total and 9.5 mils available up if centered. This is more in line with why I have ~18 mils available total with my mount. So that all kinda makes sense. Add another 10 mils with reticle and I still think the AMG covers as much elevation as you could hope for given the role it was built for. If you're shooting ELR you're probably shooting a heavy rifle and don't care about a heavier scope so buy something with more travel.

Edited to note if specs are actually 71 MOA that is still very close to my above notes/math.

Vortex's website/marketing people need to fix or explain this. The MRAD Overview page notes 27.5 MRAD of elevation travel (convert to >94 MOA) whereas the MOA Overview page seems to incorrectly list 71 MOA?

I got curious about this so I called them. Apparently the Razor Gen 2 and AMG offer 3 full turns of the turret. So you get less out of the 3 turns from the MOA vs the MRAD just because MRAD is a larger unit. So they both have more adjustment internally but are limited by the 3 turns of external adjustment. I'm not saying it makes sense, that's just what they told me.

I get 1.7 turns out of mine. Mounted on a 20 MOA rail, zero'ed at 100, I have somewhere around 17.4 mils up, and .5 mils below zero. In order to use the full elevation available in the erector, I'd need a 40 MOA rail.

But it only has 65 MOA of elevation. Vortex could have done better with this aspect of the scope, especially at that price tag.

No it doesn't. The MOA has 27.5 mils or 71 MOA for MOA version. If you look at the S&B 5-25 it is listed as 26 mils and 65 MOA for MOA version. The AMG has more elevation. You need to remember it's also a 30mm tube to keep weight down. You need to make compromises but it's still a good deal of elevation for the scope's purpose.