• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex AMG with 50 MOA base able to zero at 100 yards?

brooTool

Zor
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2014
Hesperia, CA
Just purchased a Ruger Precision and paired it with a Vortex AMG. The RPR has a 30 MOA base and my one piece scope mount has 20 MOA equating to 50 MOA. My question is, will i still be able to zero at 100 yards with 50 MOA worth of base? One other question, does anyone know if the original base is made of steel or aluminum?

Why do you want 50 MOA of inclination on your scope?

Let's start there................

On what the rifle's rail is made of, have you heard of these things called "magnets"? They can magically and instantly tell the different between steel and non-magnetic metals such as aluminum.........

Why don't you tell us?

• Angry
Reactions: brooTool
Just purchased a Ruger Precision and paired it with a Vortex AMG. The RPR has a 30 MOA base and my one piece scope mount has 20 MOA equating to 50 MOA. My question is, will i still be able to zero at 100 yards with 50 MOA worth of base? One other question, does anyone know if the original base is made of steel or aluminum?
I assume you have one of the RPR Magnums those come with the 30 MOA rails the non magnums come with a 20 MOA rail just wanted to make sure to start with. You may have been like me already had a one piece base with 20 MOA built in and don't want to spend the extra money buying another one I also move my scopes around to different rifles at times. I have the RPR 338 LM with a 20MOA SPUHR (50 MOA Total) and I have been able to get a 100yd zero with both a S&B 5-25PMII and also a RAZ Gen 2 4.5-27. I shoot it at 600 to 1000 plus yds mostly, when occasionally dialing down to 100yds to check zero it is definitely not as good as image as when the erector is closer to center. Without checking the specs on the AMG you probably will be able to get a 100yd zero, but I caution you to not leave the scope at a 100yd zero when not shooting. For the sake of the erector spring dial the scope up 50 MOA or 15 MILS when storing the rifle that puts the erector closer to center when the rifle is stored.......Good Luck!

BTW don't put a magnet to the rail you will cause atoms to split and kill us all.......?

Reactions: Ash$$ and brooTool
The is 71 on the dial. There is more than that available in the scope while zeroing. It’s possible you could zero at 100. Don’t know till you try.

Why do you want 50 MOA of inclination on your scope?

Let's start there................

On what the rifle's rail is made of, have you heard of these things called "magnets"? They can magically and instantly tell the different between steel and non-magnetic metals such as aluminum.........

Why don't you tell us?
Because i do not have the rifle yet genius!!!

Reactions: PAYDIRT
I assume you have one of the RPR Magnums those come with the 30 MOA rails the non magnums come with a 20 MOA rail just wanted to make sure to start with. You may have been like me already had a one piece base with 20 MOA built in and don't want to spend the extra money buying another one I also move my scopes around to different rifles at times. I have the RPR 338 LM with a 20MOA SPUHR (50 MOA Total) and I have been able to get a 100yd zero with both a S&B 5-25PMII and also a RAZ Gen 2 4.5-27. I shoot it at 600 to 1000 plus yds mostly, when occasionally dialing down to 100yds to check zero it is definitely not as good as image as when the erector is closer to center. Without checking the specs on the AMG you probably will be able to get a 100yd zero, but I caution you to not leave the scope at a 100yd zero when not shooting. For the sake of the erector spring dial the scope up 50 MOA or 15 MILS when storing the rifle that puts the erector closer to center when the rifle is stored.......Good Luck!

BTW don't put a magnet to the rail you will cause atoms to split and kill us all.......?
That is exactly the case! I dont want to spend another $300 on a scope mount, i cannot find a steel 0 moa magnum rpr base :(

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Ditch the 20moa mount and get some good rings? On my elr gun, I have a 30moa base and xtr rings set at another 20ish moa. I have a 9.75moa hold under to zero that one. The scope is a an atacr though so not apples to apples

Reactions: brooTool
Ditch the 20moa mount and get some good rings? On my elr gun, I have a 30moa base and xtr rings set at another 20ish moa. I have a 9.75moa hold under to zero that one. The scope is a an atacr though so not apples to apples
On my 7mm with a 30 moa base I have 21+ mils of elevation so I can dial well over a mile

Reactions: Geno C.
That is exactly the case! I dont want to spend another $300 on a scope mount, i cannot find a steel 0 moa magnum rpr base :(
They make scope rings that don't cost 300 bucks a pair. And who cares what the rifles top rail is made of? You won't be able to break it. If you do your scope is fucked anyway.

I just took this scope mount off my USO, i put my badger ordinance rings and uso on my howa, i should have just used the BO rings for my ruger precision, fml. Arent one piece scope mounts better?

Badger rings will hold up to a 300, no problem. If you’re concerned about that.

Arent one piece scope mounts better?

Not really. Rings will hold just fine. Have used rings on my 300s and now on a 7mmRM without issue. I use Seekins rings. Have held just fine.

If your rifle ever recoils with enough energy to break your rings, the rings will will be the least of your worries.

I prefer a one piece mount mainly because I play musical rifles with my scopes and I feel a one piece mount is better for that role than rings. Picatinny rails can and are not always in spec so it puts the stress on the one piece mount more than the scope vs a two piece ring set up.

71 moa of travel.
I doubt a 100 yard zero will happen.
With 30 moa it should be perfect.

In answer to your question...the cant of your base AND rings should not exceed 1/2 of your scope's total travel. Of course there can be exceptions; an example would be where the internal travel of your scope is not truly as spec'ed but I would not count on that.

So, in your case, the scope's internal travel is said to be 71 MOA, this means you have 35.5 MOA up and 35.5 MOA down. If you want to zero at 100 yards, the combined cant of your base AND rings should not exceed 35.5 MOA. As "Steel Head" said "...with 30 MOA it should be perfect".

In answer to your question...the cant of your base AND rings should not exceed 1/2 of your scope's total travel. Of course there can be exceptions; an example would be where the internal travel of your scope is not truly as spec'ed but I would not count on that.

So, in your case, the scope's internal travel is said to be 71 MOA, this means you have 35.5 MOA up and 35.5 MOA down. If you want to zero at 100 yards, the combined cant of your base AND rings should not exceed 35.5 MOA. As "Steel Head" said "...with 30 MOA it should be perfect".
The internal travel of the amg isnt 71moa. Otherwise, all good info ?

If your rifle ever recoils with enough energy to break your rings, the rings will will be the least of your worries.

29FE5683-DFD5-40B3-AC4B-BE120D83E393.gif

I’m curious as to how much is available with the zeroing feature.
I can only go off of what they advertise.
BEA0C264-DD9D-48D8-9414-DEF7ED950308.png

Reactions: Sig Marine

Since I didn't have the scope in hand to actually run the turrets, I had to go off what the manufacture/Vortex lists in their specs for the AMG. This said, the travel from one scope to another can vary as well...it's best to test the actual scope for travel to know exactly what is available to you.

Since I didn't have the scope in hand to actually run the turrets, I had to go off what the manufacture/Vortex lists in their specs for the AMG. This said, the travel from one scope to another can vary as well...it's best to test the actual scope for travel to know exactly what is available to you.
I was surprised a bit as that’s about what’s advertised with the 6x24 HS-T and original PST.

The amg is limited by the turrets. The internal adjustment that’s used when zeroing is more. Sadly, that’s a drawback to the moa version. The mil version has a lot more adjustment on the turret.

Reactions: Sig Marine
Have done 2 40 MOA set ups with the AMG and both ended up with about 3 mils of travel at the top left. It'd be cutting it very close with 50.