• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex binos - difference between models?

vobla

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2002
New Zealand
I'm looking at different Vortex binos in 10x42 range.

Viper, Crossfire, Fury, Talon, Diamondback

Price range $150 - $550.

Is there any noticeable difference between them to justify extra $$$?

Which one would you recommend for comfortable long range game spotting?

Re: Vortex binos - difference between models?

I LOVE Vortex. I had a pair of the 8x Vipers. The BEST bang for the buck binos I have ever handled. They are awesome. I foolishly traded "up" to some Leica's. Not knocking Leica (they are awesome too) but the Vipers were way better per dollar.

Hydro, did you get a chance to compare Viper with their other models or did you just go for the top one?

I tried the Furys after using Bushnell for many years and a pair of beater Bruntons bouncing in the rig. The Fury around the edges was pure haze in the glass like looking through frost on a window. Plus I had a hard time getting a full view with moons on the bottom. I was very disappointed. I suspect they were a bad pair but when I tried another pair still had some edge fuzz and moons just not as bad as the pair I had. Returned them for Vipers, very much better but I am still not 100% sure they are a solid $500 bino when I compared side by side, my eyes said Bushnell and Luepy had better glass for around $100 less but so far I am happy with the Vipers as $500 was my limit. I did not want to spend $700 for the Razors but at times wish I had if I was sticking with Vortex. Buy once cry once. I picked up the 10x42 but now wish I went with 8x for glassing with the wider field of view picking up movement.

To my eyes, Minox has no equal for the coin.

My Diamondback's ride on the passenger seat when I am at work. I have been using them for a couple years now and they are excellent. I mostly use them in low-light and they perform way better than the price tag would lead you to believe. I actually think they perform better than the old M22's I was issued.

I got my Diamondback's on one of the "Seconds" deals that CameralandNY was running. They were blems because because the Coyote brown rubber coating had a tiny bit of black in int. I could only find one spot on the bottom where this happened. If I didn't show it to you, you would never know. I also really like the lifetime warranty when I am running code and listen to my bino's bouncing around in the passenger side or cooking in the summer sun. I haven't had to use it yet, but these bino's have some years ahead of them.

I have a pair of Razors that are really nice. For the money they are the best binos around. Superior light gathering to the Leicas I compared them too. Just a tiny bit of haze around the edges, but better than buying a set of Swaros!

Vortex products are about $.50-$.70 to the dollar compared to everything else. I'm gonna be bummed out when the world catches on that they are a tier-1 company and they raise their prices!

I have bot the 10x42 d-backs and the 12.5x42 fury. Glass wise, can't tell a difference. the only real difference is the focus wheel. the fury is much more finiky with the focus. I would buy either one again but the only deciding factor would be price.

Thanx guys. Well put.
I've just got my 7x36 Diamondback in the mail. So far so good. The only disappointment was Made in China. I really hoped for Made in USA. Anyone heard of any plans to see more of "Made in USA" labels around?
smile.gif

Just got the 8x42 diamond backs and really impressed with them took them out tonight to look for deer and performed great in the low light conditions. Got them from Liberty Optics and service is great they have a customer for life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't believe any of Vortex' products are made in the US. </div></div>

I really thought Vortex was a US made product with all the love they get. I was shocked to see Made in Japan on mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't believe any of Vortex' products are made in the US.
</div></div>
+1. They design their scopes in collaboration with the vendors, and subcontract all manufacturing offshore. Not that long ago they were only a retail store. They basically did what SWFA did with the SS series, but on a much bigger scale.

They do a very good job at spec'ing their designs, then at selecting their suppliers, and doing their QC when they receive their production batches. Their warranty is second to none.

But - they are not made in USA. Who knows - maybe some day they will be. Although I doubt it.

I initially purchased the Fury model. I, too, was annoyed by the fuzzy edges and returned them. I ponied up the extra cash for the Vipers and couldn't be happier. For the price, I think they are great. I would definitely recommend spending the extra cash to get the Vipers. I have looked through a few Razors, and they were quite nice. Great optics, but I didn't like the extra weight that they came with. For me, the Viper line is right in the sweet spot for price, size, weight, and performance.