• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex choices

502Chevelle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2014
Charlotte NC
so im looking at vortex scopes, and there are some pretty good deals around, and I need to stay on a budget. There are some left over Gen 1 Razors 5-20, but the Gen II pst 6-24 is still about $500 less. Is the razor that much better of a scope for an extra 500 bucks. I know about tube size and stuff. Both have 10 mil turrets, so is there that much of a difference?Thanks in advance for any advise that I can get.

There are Gen I Razors however they aren't left over in most cases. Vortex still makes the Gen I Razor with 10 mil turrets. I've owned gen I and II PST, and Gen I and II Razors. I never even unboxed the Gen II PST because I had waited for it for so long that I ended up buying a different scope and sold it new in the box. There is definitely reasons to move to a Gen II Razor and definitely a move up from the Gen I PST to the Gen I Razor however I haven't looked through a Gen II Razor yet. I've heard and read good things about them but haven't looked through one yet. Any of those will track well and resale well if and when you are ready to move up to the next level of glass. One thing that I keep seeing are some pretty good deals on Gen II 3-18s used in very good condition and that would be my pick over a Gen I Razor. The Gen II Razors are premium, top line scopes. No need to go any higher.

As Kansas pointed out.....Vortex is still selling Razor Gen 1's.....just received two of them from Vortex a couple of weeks ago. I would recommend spending as much as you can or feel comfortable with. I think you'll find a significant difference in turrets and image when comparing a PST gen1 and a Razor Gen 1. I've not experienced a Gen 2 PST.......but I own a Gen 1, two Gen 1 Razors and two Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27X. In terms of turrets ( the evolution of form and function ) and image quality.....IMHO......they start with the Gen 1 PST at the lower level and work up to the Gen 2 Razor at the top.....in terms of the models you asked about.

My gen 1 PST is now a shelf queen.......and has been replaced by a Gen 1 Razor. If you can swing the cost of the Gen ! Razor.....it represents a solid value when looking at entering the top tier category.

Thanks for the info. I know that the new Razor is the bomb, but the company that I work for has the potential to go on strike in Aug, so I’m saving up for that. So, I need a scope, need it to be a good one, but still within reason. If that wasn’t a potential problem in a few months I’d be all over the new Razor.