• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 AO ??????

GMAC7949

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
Texas
I was wanting to get some input on the Vortex Crossfire line for a low cost scope.
I have never seen one other than on Liberty's web sight.
I have looked threw a viper series and the are really nice and clear but didnt know about the crossfire line.
Any input????

Re: Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 AO ??????

Its a fine scope for the money. I had one mounted on an AR and since I sold the AR I really didn't need the scope was the only reason I sold the one I had. It was very clear and well made. Just my .02.

ONE REPLY I KNOW THERE ARE MORE OUT THERE THAN THAT.
BTT

I have a 6x24 crossfire mounted on my bushmaster match upper and it works great for what it cost! The clicks are solid and the glass is not bad for the price range. For ~ $200 I don't know if you can beat it.

Is this the only vortex with 30mm tube in the power range?
Not wanting to go up to a to go up to a 6-20, I like the 4-16 or 4-14!

I have a 4-12x40 Crossfire that I like. I find the eye relief to be a little short (could use about another .5" or so), but for $140, I think it's a good scope. Having said that, I'm still going to replace it with a Wotac when funds allow.

I have a Wotac on my AR and Im not impressed!!

Got my new Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 in and it exceeds my expectations, opticly clear, well built, the only little thing is the tall turrets have a little play but they have crisp clicks.
Thanks again to Scott at Liberty Optics for taking care of me!
If you need optics check out Liberty Optics, Scott is always willing to help and give you good advise.

Glad to hear you like it. The vortex scopes are nice bang for the buck. Scott is a good guy, like you said, always helping out.

If anyone is interested in a 6-24 Crossfire-Mil-Dot we will be selling them for $99.95 starting next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone is interested in a 6-24 Crossfire-Mil-Dot we will be selling them for $99.95 starting next week. </div></div>

PM SENT, I need acouple at that price...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone is interested in a 6-24 Crossfire-Mil-Dot we will be selling them for $99.95 starting next week. </div></div>

Will they be listed on your site or would I just need to contact you through the board here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone is interested in a 6-24 Crossfire-Mil-Dot we will be selling them for $99.95 starting next week. </div></div>

Will they be listed on your site or would I just need to contact you through the board here? </div></div>

ditto

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will they be listed on your site or would I just need to contact you through the board here? </div></div>

We have two pallets full coming in this week, they will be on our site today or tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highlander007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that a 1" tube, or 30mm?? </div></div>

This is the 1" non illuminated version that has been discontinued and replaced with the 30mm illuminated version ($219.95).

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Crossfire-Rifle-Scopes-C1461.aspx?s=Name ASC&p=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got my new Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 in and it exceeds my expectations, opticly clear, well built, the only little thing is the tall turrets have a little play but they have crisp clicks.
Thanks again to Scott at Liberty Optics for taking care of me!
If you need optics check out Liberty Optics, Scott is always willing to help and give you good advise. </div></div>

Can you give a field report about the scope ??? thanks for info
laugh.gif

Yes I'm going to shoot it this weekend and do a box test on the scope, will let you know.

I had a Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 ao ill mil dot. Truth be told, it crapped out on the first couple of shots out my .308, had black stuff all over the glass. It got worse with every shot, didnt even finish a box of 20 rounds. Scott@LO was great though and refunded me. I went a different route with a Bushnell and would not turn back.

The discontinued 1-inch 6-24x50 were marked 1/4moa turrets but they are really 1/8moa. Also, the travel is very limited in these scopes, on the order of 18-25moa.

Scott

Well the vortex after about 25 rounds took a dump on me, the rectical turned inside the scope, I thought my mount came loose and the scope turned but it was the rectical that turned.
Back to Liberty with this one.
I really liked before is craped out on me. the lens was clear and seem to hold the zero. didnt get to do the box test.
I will talk to Scott and see what I need to do/

Well that sucks. Vortex will take care of you, but still, only 25 rounds??? something was not right.

gmac,

Give us a call tomorrow morning at 1-800-426-0048 and we'll take care of it for you. You don't need to bother Scott with it. We'll take it back and either repair it or replace it.

Sorry to hear about your problem. We'll do our best to make it right ASAP.

Let me know if you need anything else.

-Sam

I always wanted to say this

"Well damn Sam," you sure are on top of things which is great to see.

The people at Vortex want to make things right. They really have first class customer service from what I have seen.

Sure thing. Ask for Corey in Customer Service and let him know what happened and he'll get it taken care of for you.

-Sam

Ok Sam you and the staff at Vortex Impressed me, As yall have read I had a problem with a new Vortex I just purchased and made a post on here not in anger because I know working on cars things happen.
Sam with Vortex replyed to my post not knowing he was on here.
He told me to contact Corey in Customer Service and I did today, He already new who I was and told me that he was shipping a new one out today with a return postage to send the broke one back after I recieved the new one. I dont know of any Companys that will do that.
Way to go Vortex for a great Customer Service and Thanks.
Garry

Oh by the way Sam if you need anyone to give the Razor a test go Im there for yall!!! Ha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh by the way Sam if you need anyone to give the Razor a test go Im there for yall!!! Ha </div></div>

what do you have it mounted on ???? thanks for info

I have three one is a custom AR15 with a 20" bull barrel I use for out to 600 yards that the Crossfire is on, a custom 308 that Im working on load development that will be good to 1000 and a 30-06 now Im building using a Howa action that will need a scope in the very near future.
I started with the AR15 building rifles for my self and started bolt actions with my 308 using a rem700 action. I really enjoy my new hobby and the satisfaction of a finished product the will shoot sub-moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have three one is a custom AR15 with a 20" bull barrel I use for out to 600 yards that the Crossfire is on, a custom 308 that Im working on load development that will be good to 1000 and a 30-06 now Im building using a Howa action that will need a scope in the very near future.
I started with the AR15 building rifles for my self and started bolt actions with my 308 using a rem700 action. I really enjoy my new hobby and the satisfaction of a finished product the will shoot sub-moa.
</div></div>

i think we all love that
laugh.gif
i will shoot mine this friday i have it mounted and i will give some updates about it i have a video on how clear the scope is and how it works on youtube .... thanks for the info gmac

Sam
Is there going to be a 4-16x 50 with 30mm tube offered in the viper line? the only reason I went with the crossfire is due to this and there was not another one offered in the Vortex lineup.
The Razor appears to be a top notch scope but way out of my price range.
I like all the features of the crossfire but I also know the Viper is a better quality.

Yes, the Viper is certainly on a different level of quality than the Crossfire. At its price point I think the Crossfire is a very good scope, but you certainly gain some performance increase with the extra cost in the Viper line.

There are currently two 30mm tube Vipers, although they are 6.5-20x44 and 6.5-20x50.

As for new models coming, at this point I am not allowed to divulge any details, except to say that we are going to be announcing some other new stuff this year and I think that a lot of people will really be excited about it.

We will definitely let you know as soon as we can.

-Sam

Cant wait!! I will keep my fingers crossed for more 30mm scopes in the viper line, the 6.5-20 is just to large for what I use it for.
Keep up the good work and customer service.
Thanks gmac

Got the new Crossfire remounted and no problems, put around 80 rounds through my gun and the scope did great.
For the money its hard to beat.
Good glass, Illuminated, 30mm tube 4-16x50, mildot and great CS with Vortex.

I know this is an old thread but I though it was worth mentioning that the defective scopes in question which are marked 1/4 MOA when they are in fact 1/8th MOA were only a limited run. There are still 1" Vortex crossfires available which are indeed 1/4 MOA with approximately 70MOA of vertical travel.

Thanks DeviousSB for clarifying that.

We blew through the pile of mismarked units in April/May of this year. All of our $99.95 6-24's since then have been marked 1/4 and have 1/4 clicks.

The scopes have more than the mentioned MOA too.

Pictured below are pictures through the scope on a boresighter.

One picture is of the elevation bottomed out, the other picture the elevation bottomed out in the opposite direction.

As you can see the reticle moves across almost 16 full 4" grids and runs off the grid a total of 32 clicks. The scope clicks into the 16th square a total of 8 clicks. With each square being 4 inches and the scope having 1/4MOA of adjustment (.25”) this gives us a total click value of 280.

280 x .25 = 70moa

The scope does have a total of 332 clicks although. There are 52 unusable clicks this scope has. After the scope clicked 8 times into the 16th square it was able to click another 52 times without the reticle actually moving.

Thanks,
Brady

Link to them on our site.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-Crossfire-Rifle-Scopes-C1461.aspx?s=Name ASC&p=1

grid.jpg

grid2.jpg

Thanks for posting the info here as well Brady. Couldn't get away with copying the info to the hide today at work.

For anyone interested, the direct link to the scope in question which is 70% off right now is here:

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

I havnt been able to find many reviews on this particular scope but what I have read about Vortex's customer service has indicated that they will take very good care of you.

I'm thrilled to try this out, probably order mine tomorrow. American made scope with a full lifetime warranty at the price you'll pay for a Chinese piece of crap with no warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeviousSB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm thrilled to try this out, probably order mine tomorrow. American made scope with a full lifetime warranty at the price you'll pay for a Chinese piece of crap with no warranty.
</div></div>

Peeker.gif

Im not sure what to feel more stupid about...

The fact that I have no idea what the smiley coming out from behind the couch is supposed to mean...

Or the fact that I just spent 15 minutes on google trying to find some sort of definition for it only to end up on a site in german covered glittering pictures of pixies...

FML

DeviousSB,

I think the smiley was because the Crossfire's are not made in the USA. Sorry, I hope that doesn't disappoint you, but I don't want you to feel misled.

I wish there was a way to make them in the USA and sell them for a profit that those prices, but unfortunately it just isn't possible in this day and age.

The Crossfire is our only riflescope series that we are making in China.

Vortex is a US Veteran owned business and we employ about 40 Americans. Our products are designed right here in WI, and all service and warranty issues are also done right here at our facility in WI. We have other riflescope lines made in the Philippines and Japan.

-Sam

Completely understand the economics of the situation, but im left wishing that the information would have been more clear.

The statement on the vortex site about your scopes being inspected in Wisconsin, is that only for returned hardware?

Let me set this up by saying Im a budget shooter. If I had the disposable income to spend on something high dollar, I would have opted for a Razor as Ive heard nothing but positive reviews. Unfortunately, paying for college comes first.

Now I wont automatically lump the crossfire into the same category as a Barska or BSA but I feel as if the overwhelming negative attitude towards Chinese scopes has to be justified to some extent. The whole reason I opted to buy another scope was because the extensive negativity towards Barska and my experience at the range has shaken my trust in the 6-24x50AO currently on my rifle.

Sam, Id love to hear why my expectations of this scope should be any different for what I've seen and read about other Chinese made scopes.