• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Crossfire DRT not a week old SWFA special

Hi Speed

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2006
Chester, S.C.
6 shots from a Choate varminter stocked Savage .308 and the magnification ring spins but no change in magnification. I'm trying to help a buddy get into shooting/reloading. I was commenting on the glass gathering good light for such a high power setting and went to turn it down and NOTHING. Does anyone know if this is to be expected from Vortex? He is being taken care of by Vortex but will one they send to replace it be any different?

This scope is on a .308 Savage 10fxp. The stock was the weakest link and he opted for a choate varminter. He wants a heavy barrel and real nice scope in the future but realizes fundamentals and time behind the gun are whats important now. Hes just trying to get by with well enough until he develops enough knowledge to know what he likes and doesn't. He also is a noob reloader and his heart and mind are in the right place.

Is there a reasonably priced tactical scope that will fit the bill for under $400. i recommended Bushnell elite 3200 or equivalent as a baseline but so many other things need addressing before a high dollar scope can be justified.

Re: Vortex Crossfire DRT not a week old SWFA special

That scope is 120 for a reason. I wouldn't run one on anything over a rimfire based on the problems it has. I do run the 4-12 Crossfire on my .17 and it works fine for that. For under 400, the old stand-bys, Bushnell 10x40 in mil/mil and the Super Sniper 10x, come to mind. Maybe a used Vortex Viper (non PST) will work. I used one for a couple years before upgrading without issue.

He wants a variable, with 30mm tube, mil-dot, side focus, etc.....Were trying to find one just good enough, with some of these features, to get the time in on the rifle and to complete the build. Then, as a blowing out the candles if you will, mount a good NF or the like on it. I had an old USO laying around for years but could not pass on what I was offered for it. Wish I still had my Backup so I could help.

under 400.
falcon menace 4-14. has all the features you need.

weaver has the new kaspa series also.

I have two Crossfires and not a lick of problems. I had a broken PST (not Vortex's fault) and they replaced it no questions asked. Total turn around was a week.
I've heard of problems with Crossfires, but never actually talked with anyone with one? I would venture to say give the new one a chance? They will make good on it.

viper series is gtg on a .308

the crossfire is the lowest end model for them and should be for rimfires

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Crossfires are made in china. The Vipers are made in US. </div></div>

Actually the Vipers are made in the Philippines, still much better quality than the Crossfires.

Crossfire is Vortex's "budget" line and made in China. If you invoke some Google Fu you should be able to find a decent price on a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x with a Mil-Dot reticule for just about or slightly over $400. I have three of that model and have been extremely pleased with them. Keep the Crossfire on a rimfire once you get it back from Vortex.

dont judge vortex as a company off the crossfire line. they are cheap priced scopes for a reason. you cant buy a caviler adn expect to fun with corvettes. i think a 308 is asking alot from a 100 dollar scope.

im not saying you have to spend 2000 but atleast a few hundred for a viper or diamondback

Just to be clear, I appreciate the responses, so in return I'll give a long term review of an optic today.

The crappiest scope I own (OPO) is a MK4 PR and I'll argue that it's not. Budget builds do not justify $1000 plus glass until shooter, and stick are capable.

It is my experience that Conquest 3-9X40 has some of the best glass for hunting rigs, at a fair price, but just doesn't cut it on a tacticool rig. I had one on a 300winmag Browning stalker and loved the set up to 200yds.

The hide rules!

I have a Viper, but decided to try a 6-24 Crossfire for the hell of it on a Mosin Nagant sporter I built. Not that the rifle didn't deserve good glass- it shoots minute of angle and better- I just didn't have 4-5 bills to spend at the time and figured I'd give it a shot. The Crossfire reviews have been hit and miss, but I KNOW that Vortex stands behind their products so there was no concern there...

Anyway, the Crossfire has held up with no issues- held zero perfectly (and the 7.62 x 54R has pretty stout recoil), and tracked well enough on our first long range outing to go back and forth from 300 to 600 without issues.

Thank you all for the advice! I am the owner of the rifle that hi speed was refering to. I guess at this point im gonna see the new scope they are sending me does. The customer service at Vortex seems to be great, the new scope will be here early next week. If it fails I will see what it would take to move up to the Viper line.
Wannashootit's post makes me feel optimistic about the performance of a correctly assembled crossfire scope.
Any more words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. As Hi Speed said, I am just getting into target shooting and reloading. If it weren't for him, i would still be shooting wolf ammo through my AR with a $40 red dot.

New scope came in today. Talked to Vortex Friday and it was shipped same day. Got here to late this evening to get it mounted before dark. First inspection seems great. Adjusted focus many many times and no loss of adjustment. Will find out tomorrow how it shots if I get off work in time. I will update after that.

Thank you Vortex customer service for the great care you take in your customers!!

Thank everyone here for the advice, and keep the sugestions coming, as I am still in market for a good scope!!