• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Crossfire Questions

shqipe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2007
Indiana
Hi all.

First off, thank you for all the great information on this site. I have been searching the site for the past few days and finally narrowed down my optic choices.

I want either a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 AO Mildot (new 30mm tube) or Crossfire 4-16x50 AO Mildot. The rest of the set up will be Seekins rings and EGW base on a Savage MkIIFV. If my calculations are correct, I need the high rings, but I'm not sure if I am correct.

I intend to use this setup as a trainer, mostly 100 yards and closer until I am comfortable enough to move to farther distances.

My questions are:

- What would be the most optimal setup, the 6-24x50 (75 MOA of elevation) on a 20 MOA base or the 4-16x50 (100 MOA of elevation) on a flat base?
- Can I get away with lower that the highest rings (Seekins low = .82", medium = .87", medium-high = .92", and high = .97")?
- If my choice in optic and rings is completely off, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

Re: Vortex Crossfire Questions

Honestly evaluate the following:

1. How often do you really use the higher zooms above 16x in the field.

2. How often you have to hunt for the target at the higher zoom.

3. How much windage do you demand at 1,000 yards. Dialing or holding off?

My observation is that everyone loves the higher magnifications but they aren't that practical in the field b/c of the hunting for the target factor. If that's not a problem very often, if at all, for you above 16x, then you could get some benefit from the higher mag.

At the lowest power, there isn't much difference between them.

You could probably get away with the higher mag and a flat base if you're not going to dial a lot of wind. I don't know how far "up" you can go with those before you start losing some windage range--but even if you start losing some, you'll probably still have way enough on a flat base.

Me, I skipped the AO thing and went to side-focus (different make scope, but Vortex will probably be my next one). I would have even gone with a rear-focus parallax.

Thanks for the advice. I don't plan on shooting at a greater magnification than 10x. However, if I can get more magnification for less money, it would be nice. Is there a difference in clarity between the two?

My son has a Viper 6-24, and there is a tiny (and I'm a tough judge) bit of fall-off in clarity above 20x.

Mine is a 4.5-14 scope, and there is no noticeable loss of resolution at the highest magnification.

If you're not going to *shoot* above 10-14x, then the only reason to go with higher magnification, IMO, is to be able to use the scope as a spotter for bullet holes on paper a bit easier. 14x is a bit weak for 200 yards. But that might be more our mirage factor lately...