• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex DEFENDER-CCW™ Red Dot announcement

CSTactical

Sniper's Hide Vendor
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    www.cstactical.com
    Both reticle options in stock on our site!!! https://cstactical.com/vortex-defender-ccw-red-dot/

Hey guys, Vortex is releasing the Vortex DEFENDER-CCW™ Red Dot (MAP is $249.99) for the Shield RMS cut handguns today! We have them in stock and will post more information later this morning and a link to purchase them :)
    3 and 6 MOA dot available
    Shield RMS and RMSc footprint
    https://vortexoptics.com/defender-ccw+reticle-3~MOA~Defender~Dot

Vortex Defender CCW Red Dot Sight
    If you are looking for a red dot sight that is compact, rugged and ready to defend then the Vortex Defender CCW Red Dot Sight is perfect for you. The sight is available with a 3 MOA red dot or a 6 MOA red dot reticle. It delivers maximum concealment, reliability, and the first shot quickness you need when facing a threat with nowhere to run. The slim profile means no extra bulk or width for a smoother, no snag draw from under clothes and less chance of printing, so the only one on the street who knows you’re packing is you.

A large, class leading sight window and brilliant, illuminated dot help you lock on target faster and defend more accurately, even in low light. Auto-Shutoff to preserve battery life. Motion activated, so it’s instantly ready when you need it. It fits full-size to micro-compact and is meant for those who prioritize personal protection. The Defender CCW lets you carry more discreetly, defend faster, and more accurately when life is on the line.

Vortex Defender CCW Red Dot Sight Features
    Large Hard Coated Aspherical Lens
    Large distortion free sight picture.

Motion Activation With 14 Hour Auto Shutoff
    Automatically activates with motion while 14 hour auto shutoff saves battery life.

ShockShield
    Polymer insert absorbs shock to the 7075 aluminum body protecting it from everyday abuse.

Fast Rack Texturing
    Aggressive texturing on face of optic for racking slide off any surface.

Top Mount Battery
    Easy battery changes without having to re-zero your optic.

8 Daylight Bright Brightness Settings
    Daylight bright, illuminated center dot aids in faster center point acquisition in bright daylight conditions.

Parallax Free
    All red dot and holographic sights will exhibit some small amount of parallax. Matching current industry practice, this small amount would be considered “parallax free” and will make a negligible difference in performance.

Unlimited Eye Relief
    Non-critical eye relief for rapid target acquisition.

Night Vision Compatibility
    The lowest 2 settings are night vision compatible.

Waterproof
    O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating for reliable performance in all environments.

Fogproof
    Designed to withstand a wide range of temperatures.

Shockproof
    Rugged construction withstands recoil and impact.

Low Glare Matte Black Anodized
    Corrosion and wear resistant anodization provides low glare matte surface and helps camouflage the shooter’s position.

Single Piece Chassis
    Compact and light weight.

3 MOA MRDS Reticle
    The Defender CCW features a total of 10 brightness settings (eight for daylight use and two for night vision). Offered with either a 3 or 6 MOA daylight bright red dot, it is easy to see and acquire targets regardless of lighting conditions or background.

3 MOA Subtension Details

6 MOA MRDS Reticle
    The Defender CCW features a total of 10 brightness settings (eight for daylight use and two for night vision). Offered with either a 3 or 6 MOA daylight bright red dot, it is easy to see and acquire targets regardless of lighting conditions or background.

3 MOA Subtension Details

Product Manual

Included in the Box
    1″ Shim Plate

Picatinny Mount

Rubber Cover

Lens Cloth

CR1632 Battery

Custom Tool

Most Common Mounting Screw Sets

Compatibility (Screw Size & Handgun)
    M3x0.5 (9.8mm): Sig Sauer P365XL

M4x0.7 (11mm): Canik TP9SFX/TP9SC, Sig Sauer P320 M17/M18/RXP, CZ P10 Series

M4x0.7 (9.8mm): Glock MOS, Ruger 57, Springfield Hellcat Series

6-40 (9.8mm): FN-509 Series

6-48 (9.03mm): H&K VP9 Tactical, Kimber AEGIX/KHX Custom

6-32 (10.8mm): Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0

vtx_rd_defenderccw_fr_w_2.jpg

vtx_rd_defenderccw_6moa_fl_w_2.jpg

vtx_rd_defenderccw_br_w_2.jpg

vtx_rd_defenderccw_6moa_bl_w_2.jpg

Description
    Arm yourself with the red dot specifically built for modern everyday carry. The micro-sized Defender-CCW™ delivers maximum concealment, function without fail, and first-shot quickness you can trust when facing a threat with nowhere to run.

Magnification1x
    Reticle3 or 6 MOA Defender Dot
    Adjustment Graduation1 MOA
    Parallax SettingParallax Free
    Max Windage Adjustment105 MOA
    Max Elevation Adjustment110 MOA
    Dot ColorRed
    Eye ReliefUnlimited
    Length1.59"
    Weight0.95 oz.

Large Hard Coated Aspherical LensLarge distortion-free sight picture.
    Motion Activation With 14 Hour Auto-ShutoffAutomatically activates with motion while 14 hour auto-shutoff saves battery life.
    ShockShield™Polymer insert absorbs shock to the 7075 aluminum body protecting it from everyday abuse.
    Fast-Rack™ TexturingAggressive texturing on face of optic for racking slide off any surface.
    Top Mount BatteryEasy battery changes without having to re-zero your optic.
    8 Daylight Bright Brightness SettingsDaylight bright, illuminated center dot aids in faster center-point acquisition in bright daylight conditions.
    Parallax FreeAll red dot and holographic sights will exhibit some small amount of parallax. Matching current industry practice, this small amount would be considered "parallax free" and will make a negligible difference in performance.
    Unlimited Eye ReliefNon-critical eye relief for rapid target acquisition.
    Night-Vision CompatibilityThe lowest 2 settings are night-vision compatible.
    WaterproofO-ring seals prevent moisture, dust and debris from penetrating for reliable performance in all environments.
    FogproofDesigned to withstand a wide range of temperatures.
    ShockproofRugged construction withstands recoil and impact.
    Low-Glare Matte Black AnodizedCorrosion and wear resistant anodization provides low-glare matte surface and helps camouflage the shooter's position.
    Single-Piece ChassisCompact and light weight.

Last edited:
    Nice to see that they are using an aspheric lens. That was Leica's big claim when they released the Tempus ASPH red dot.

It would be great to find someone with astigmatism and let them report on how crisp/round the dot appears.

Of course what a person with astigmatism sees varies from person to person. In my case, when looking thru my Aimpoint optics I don't see a round dot. The dot is more crescent shaped star.

Nice to see that they are using an aspheric lens. That was Leica's big claim when they released the Tempus ASPH red dot.

It would be great to find someone with astigmatism and let them report on how crisp/round the dot appears.

Of course what a person with astigmatism sees varies from person to person. In my case, when looking thru my Aimpoint optics I don't see a round dot. The dot is more crescent shaped star.

I have astigmatism and will report back my findings when I’m back in the office tomorrow. - Richard

This looks like a nice improvement in Vortex's line of pistol red-dots. In my non-scientific opinion, miniature red dots that have a more robust build, seem to be more popular. This fits in that category.

Reactions: CSTactical
    Vortex makes great big stuff but so far their micro dots haven’t been up to the same durability level as the competitors. I’d love to see this be at least as durable as Holosuns stuff.

Happy to see more RDS options out there...

Does "14 hour auto-shut off" mean that after 14 hours of zero motion, it finally shuts off? So if you take off your carry pistol around 5PM... it might turn off sometime around 7AM the next morning, right before you put the gun back on? Surely that isn't what this means, right?

My Holosun 507k is set to 10 min and the shake-to-wake is extremely sensitive, seems like that's the way to go, IMO

Reactions: Bluedog82
    Happy to see more RDS options out there...

Does "14 hour auto-shut off" mean that after 14 hours of zero motion, it finally shuts off? So if you take off your carry pistol around 5PM... it might turn off sometime around 7AM the next morning, right before you put the gun back on? Surely that isn't what this means, right?

My Holosun 507k is set to 10 min and the shake-to-wake is extremely sensitive, seems like that's the way to go, IMO

Motion Activation With 14 Hour Auto-Shutoff Automatically activates with motion while 14 hour auto-shutoff saves battery life.

14 hour auto-shutoff saves battery life.

If the RDS takes 14 hours to auto-shut off, then (for the purposes of concealed carry) I disagree, it generally does not save battery life.

14 hours is such a long time, I feel that either I'm misreading/misunderstanding something here or there is a typo

edit: Vortex video above repeatedly states fourteen-hour auto shut-off

edit 2: only 9,500 hrs of battery life on Vortex Defender CCW v. Holosun 507k "up to 50,000 hours" w/ single dot on setting 6, both with CR1632

Last edited:
    If the RDS takes 14 hours to auto-shut off, then (for the purposes of concealed carry) I disagree, it generally does not save battery life.

14 hours is such a long time, I feel that either I'm misreading/misunderstanding something here or there is a typo

edit 2: only 9,500 hrs of battery life on Vortex Defender CCW v. Holosun 507k "up to 50,000 hours" w/ single dot on setting 6, both with CR1632

Or you can shut it off yourself ;)

Reactions: R_A_W

So essentially if you are carrying it all day every day, change the battery each year just to be safe?

Reactions: R_A_W
    So essentially if you are carrying it all day every day, change the battery each year just to be safe?
    Definitely best practice to do so. However, 9.5k barely gets you to a year (8760 hrs), so I'd recommend changing at least every 6 months on the Vortex Defender CCW

I'm mostly just perplexed by the 14-hour thing. That's practically an "always-on" for a dedicated CCW

Definitely best practice to do so. However, 9.5k barely gets you to a year (8760 hrs), so I'd recommend changing at least every 6 months on the Vortex Defender CCW

I'm mostly just perplexed by the 14-hour thing. That's practically an "always-on" for a dedicated CCW
    Sounds to be more of a fail-safe option for people that rarely use their stuff vs an actual battery life extender.

I dig options too...

Thank you for the review! We have some in stock right now for those looking for a solid option on that RMS footprint :)