• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Fury 5000 AB Spin Drift

OREGUN

Alpine Orangutan
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2014
    Out West
    I’ve been messing with spin drift on my kestrel and my Fury 5000 AB. I shoot a left twist barrel and the kestrel calls for about .1 mils to around 600 yards and about .2 out to 1000. This is a RIGHT correction for the left twist barrel. If I switch the twist direction in the profile, the correction changes to a left correction.

My binos make the same call but no matter what I tell the app about twist direction, the binos only call for LEFT correction. Any users out there have any thoughts? Am I misunderstanding the readout or the inputs? I haven’t asked Vortex and there don’t seem to be any updates available.

Can you import a twist rate?
    Usually 8 would be for right hand and -8 for left hand.
    I usually ignore it and just factor in .1 per 1000 yards.

I emailed Vortex. The guy said he grabbed a pair from their office and saw the same thing. At first he said the engineers thought it was a glitch in the app but then they decided I’d have to send them in and have the software on the binos themselves “flashed”.

The app gives you an input option for twist rate and direction. Yes, I could have just added a tenth but what the hell, if you have to do a bunch of mental gymnastics to make the output of the magic box correct…why have a magic device to begin with? I guess it’s the principle of the thing.

to their credit, Vortex made it very simple to send them back to them. We’ll see how fast the turnaround time is.