• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Gen 2 Razor vs Strike Eagle

JBR

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2020
Virginia
What am I missing here? I bought the 4.5x27 Razor and my buddy bought the 5x25 Strike Eagle. Comparing both side by side yesterday it seemed to me only differences were.

Slightly better clarity on The Razor. Marginal.
Better Illumination on the Razor
turrets feel better on the Razor.

I was surprised how close the image quality was given the cost difference. Is the above what I really paid $1,300 extra for from Vortex?

I’ve got both and although the SE seems like a decent lil scope it’s not the Razor in any way or shape. U paid for higher quality optic all the way around.

What am I missing here? I bought the 4.5x27 Razor and my buddy bought the 5x25 Strike Eagle. Comparing both side by side yesterday it seemed to me only differences were.

I was surprised how close the image quality was given the cost difference. Is the above what I really paid $1,300 extra for from Vortex?
I’ve got a 3-18 Gen II Razor and a 5-25 Strike Eagle. I’m hoping the Razor is a lot tougher. It’s on a 300 and the SE is in a 22LR.

On a good day at closer range you won’t notice much difference. It’s when you start trying to spot hits further out or trying to shoot through mirage when the higher price starts to justify itself. I’m running a SE on my 6cm comp rig and it’s holding up well right now. Definitely can tell the difference in glass though.

I have a SE on my NRL .22 setup. Haven’t put it on anything else. Wondering if anyone has been able to catch a vapor trail with the SE with larger calibers at long distance?

Consider yourself lucky, just shoot with the Strike Eagle and be happy.

The differences in glass are there and they are quite apparent when you know what to look for/start being aware of them.

My life was a lot simpler when I believed a $500 scope was all I ever needed.

I have a SE on my NRL .22 setup. Haven’t put it on anything else. Wondering if anyone has been able to catch a vapor trail with the SE with larger calibers at long distance?
yes. no issue

but so much of that is based on environmentals

@beetroot is right though. when you go SE to gen2 to gen3 you really notice

that being said. i have a SE on my RimX and it doesnt exactly what i need it to

Wrestling with this same dilemma right now. I have an Arken SH 4-16 (riding on my CZ457 Varmint Chassis) and a Steiner M7XI 2.9-20 (on top of my FNH TSR) and there’s simply no comparison in glass quality, ease/speed of target acquisition, eye box forgiveness, etc. (All those people out there on the internet shilling for Arken saying they’re “just as good as scopes 3-4x the price” are either lying or just have no discernment when it comes to quality optics. Don’t get me wrong, the little Arken definitely packs a lot of features for the price but the excruciatingly small window of sharp focus for the eye box is maddening and makes me way too slow in competition.)

Is the difference as “night and day” between the SE 5-25 and Razor Gen 2 4.5-27 or are they a little closer in quality and capability than my Arken vs Steiner comparison? Is the Razor Gen 3 even worth considering over the Gen 2 (I think I like the lower magnification on the bottom end of the Gen 2)? Will I be happy with the SE or has my exposure to truly quality optics ruined lesser glass for me forever?

This will be an upgrade from an SWFA SS 12x42 for my custom Mauser 7mm Rem Mag which is primarily a long range target gun. If money were no object, I’d definitely just put M7XI’s on all my bolt guns but, since money is a factor, my decision will be driven in some measure by cost. Please help...

Image quality close? LOLOLOLOLLLLL

Besides that the difference in mechanical precision isn't trivial either.