• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x52mm in MOA, 2nd focal plane, magnification question

cheeko

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2021
Canada
Hi all,
Was wondering if the Vortex 15-60x52mm scope, which in this case is Second Focal Plane, would have an effect on Point of Impact when changing magnification.
If so how does one go about calculating or compensating for magnification changes?
Thanks for any help.

Hi all,
Was wondering if the Vortex 15-60x52mm scope, which in this case is Second Focal Plane, would have an effect on Point of Impact when changing magnification.
If so how does one go about calculating or compensating for magnification changes?
Thanks for any help.

If your POI changes due to magnification, even in a SFP optic, something is wrong and it should be sent back under warranty.

That said, it's unlikely to happen in the optic in question.

Hi all,
Thanks for any help.
Hollywood is 💯 correct. When using the center crosshair as the POA/POI your zero will be the same no matter what mag you are on.

If your POI changes due to magnification, even in a SFP optic, something is wrong and it should be sent back under warranty.

That said, it's unlikely to happen in the optic in question.

Hollywood is 💯 correct. When using the center crosshair as the POA/POI your zero will be the same no matter what mag you are on.

That's what I would hope, thanks Hollywood 6mm and Scott_at_Vortex for confirming.
I think I need to spend more time shooting and less time reading as I am confusing myself LOL.

BTW, Scott, would like to say we have the Venom, Diamondback and Razors from Vortex and they are all great quality.
The Golden Eagle was added recently and has only seen 25 yard indoor shots so far.
Happy to say it will focus nicely down to 10 yards, very impressive!
Plan to take it out past 500 in the spring.
Keep up the great work and warranty!

Reactions: Scott_at_Vortex
I think I need to spend more time shooting and less time reading as I am confusing myself LOL.

That is true, however there is nothing intrinsically wrong with reading to learn.

The problem is that, depending on the topic at hand and your educational and professional background, it can be very difficult to sort bullshit from authoritative information.

That is true, however there is nothing intrinsically wrong with reading to learn.

The problem is that, depending on the topic at hand and your educational and professional background, it can be very difficult to sort bullshit from authoritative information.
For sure, 308Pirate.
For some reason, I got mixed up with some crossbow scopes that have "speed dials", which essentially are a change of magnification which will affect the POI.
FFP and SFP still make me scratch my head at times, too.
Add MRAD and MOA...
Well, you get the idea.
I am not getting any younger (60s) and have gotten back into firearms last year after a very long hiatus.
Crossbows a few years ago after a long break there as well.
My oh my, how the tech has changed.
Now we have scopes with built-in rangefinders.
Mind blowing but i enjoy it and spend a lot of time reading about as much as I can.
Thank you for the help, learning a lot here!

For sure, 308Pirate.
For some reason, I got mixed up with some crossbow scopes that have "speed dials", which essentially are a change of magnification which will affect the POI.
If the center crosshairs POI/POA changes with magnification... its broke.

FFP and SFP still make me scratch my head at times, too.
FFP puts the cross hair in front of the magnification bits= crosshair zooms the same as everything else
SFP puts the crosshair behind the magnificent bits so its always the same size regardless of what zooms in and out behind it.

Add MRAD and MOA...
Its degrees vs radians. Just the same angle divided down in different sized pieces.

Reactions: cheeko