• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex I-4000 GB In Stock

wigwamitus

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
LBJ
Vortex Optics has today announced their new weapons mountable laser range finder, the I-4000 GB. This range finder is a long awaited "upgrade" to the capabilities of the SICO Radius, released many years ago (2016 ?) Based on prior reviews of the handheld version of the Vortex Rzr 4000, we anticipate the I-4000 to be capable of ranging out to 4000yds under idea conditions. We will first be unboxing the I-4000s ourselves today for testing, so we don't have a review yet, but will share our experiences as we test them in the field.
Besides having the same general features of the radius, a 905nm ranging laser and a vis laser for co-witnessing to the day scope reticle, the new I-4000 also has a built in ballistics calculator. This calculator is based on the Geoballistics calculator (VO bought GB back in 2022) and is also found in the handheld VO Rzr 4000 GB. So on board ballistics will definitely be a plus vis a vis the old radius.
We will post here as we gain more experience with the units.
We have units in stock and they will be shipping today. Units can be purchased off the website:

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott_at_Vortex
I highly recommend buying a Vortex Impact 4000 here, these guys are Hide vendors who have been a huge support to the community for a number of years now. Give them a call and they will treat you right and give you more information than you had coming into the conversation :) My knowledge of NV and thermal isn't the best and Preston and Joe have both been a huge help in my understanding of my needs. Give them a call and thank me later ;)

Finally got out to use mine this past weekend. In the simplest terms: it works very well. My buddy and I tested it on both known and unknown targets and it was solid. It takes a bit of work to setup the wind and adjust it as needed, but it wasn’t a problem. The remote is really handy but be careful you don’t accidentally nudge the latch - I almost lost it at one point and will tape it shut next time. Also, even with the display brightness on the lowest setting, it’s blazing in a moonless night and not very goonin’ friendly, however it’s the first time we’ve been able to lase targets reliably in the dark.

Reactions: Boon20
Finally got out to use mine this past weekend. In the simplest terms: it works very well. My buddy and I tested it on both known and unknown targets and it was solid. It takes a bit of work to setup the wind and adjust it as needed, but it wasn’t a problem. The remote is really handy but be careful you don’t accidentally nudge the latch - I almost lost it at one point and will tape it shut next time. Also, even with the display brightness on the lowest setting, it’s blazing in a moonless night and not very goonin’ friendly, however it’s the first time we’ve been able to lase targets reliably in the dark.

Appreciate that feedback and thank you for your business!

Reactions: Dogtown
Still have some.

Getting good reports from customers using them in the field. 700+ yd yote kills in SW MO, long distance ranging with PoT ML in ID Mountains this critter is working in the field !

This question could be slightly generalized to read "What are the pros and cons of Weapons Mounted Range Finders vs Bino LRFs vs handheld/mono LRFs ?

All 3 types have their pluses (and relative cons).

The handheld monos are smallest and lightest and fastest to deploy, those are some pretty key pluses and I don't think I can go so wrong if I grab my lieca 3500 for a day time activity (I have several others).

The bino ranger finders (I have Steiner and Zeiss) give a fantastic view of the scene, the ones I have feel like my eyeballs got magnified, I'm not even aware that I'm looking thru binos except for the magnification. That helps me detect and PID little bits of critters even back in the woods across a field, up a hillside. If worn in a chest pouch, they are pretty fast also. They are heavier than the Lieca, though the Steiner 8x30 LRF are much smaller than the Zeiss 10x45 LRF.

The Weapons Mounted Range Finders (WMLRF), are mounted on the rifle, so they take longer to deploy, depending on the situation, might require setting up the tripod first. They can't scan a large area as fast as either of the other options, but they are usually a steadier platform and for ranging, can be much more precise on smaller targets at greater distances. The rifle scopes often have more magnification than either the handheld LRF or the bino LRF as well.

At night, we mount various clipons in front of the day scopes and co-witness the WMLRF to the day scope reticle at our zero setting on the elevation dial. And I've been able to range out to 5 km with RAPTARs and 3km with Radii at night using UTC/x thermal clipons.

So what would I take ? For day hunting a handheld LRF is usually fine, since I'm usually shooting at pretty short distances. For night I'd want a WMLRF. For long distance day hunting, I'd want one of either a handheld LRF or Bino LRF for quick scanning and a WMLRF for the shot.

Last edited:
This question could be slightly generalized to read "What are the pros and cons of Weapons Mounted Range Finders vs Bino LRFs vs handheld/mono LRFs ?

All 3 types have their pluses (and relative cons).

The handheld monos are smallest and lightest and fast to deploy, those are some pretty key pluses and I don't think I can go so wrong if I grab my lieca 3500s for a day time activity (I have several others).

The bino ranger finders (I have Steiner and Zeiss) give a fantastic view of the scene, the ones I have feel mike by eyeballs got magnified, I'm not even aware that I'm looking thru binos except for the magnification. That helps me detect and PID little bits of critters even back in the woods across a field, up a hillside. If worn in a chest pouch, they are pretty fast also. They are heavier than the Lieca, though the Steiner 8x30 LRF are much smaller than the Zeiss 10x45 LRF.

The Weapons Mounted Range Finders (WMLRF), are mounted on the rifle, so they take longer to deploy, depending on the situation, might require setting up the tripod first. They can't scan a large area as fast as either of the other options, but they are usually a steadier platform and for ranging, can be much more precise on smaller targets at greater distances. The rifle scopes often have more magnification than either the handheld LRF or the bino LRF as well.

At night, we mount various clipons in front of the day scopes and co-witness the WMLRF to the day scope reticle at our zero setting on the elevation dial. And I've been able to range out to 5 km with RAPTARs and 3km with Radii at night using UTC/x thermal clipons.

So what would I take ? For day hunting a handheld LRF is usually fine, since I'm usually shooting at pretty short distances. For night I'd want a WMLRF. For long distance day hunting, I'd want one of either a handheld LRF or Bino LRF for quick scanning and a WMLRF for the shot.
^^^ Some of the best advice you will find. Wig knows his stuff and I always learn something.

So the ARD/Cover from MK Machining is pretty cool....

1701729245962.png

1701729260856.png

1701729275039.png

C2839F61-40F4-40D5-86EF-16C0795A8E29.jpeg

I got mine from SOK and spent some time poking around the mountains of central Idaho.

2AC27915-38FB-4060-B800-C005377D4843.jpeg

It worked incredibly well for coyotes. They move pretty fast across huge fields so in the past (with a handheld range finder) I’d get a range and then have to guess how much it had changed by the time I was back on the gun. Now it’s just Point. Click. Bang!

I also used it on wolves with success 🙂
Most big game is off limits to such technology in Idaho so I stretched its legs on trees, rocks, etc. and made good hits out past 1000 yards with the 6 ARC.

I was concerned about the screen brightness from some reports here, but after I learned it can be turned down it’s been a non issue. I’ll still probably try some sort of tinted lense eventually just because.

I’ve owned a couple RAPTARs and I definitely prefer this over them for ease of use, price, and mounting system. Mine were also non-ballistic models so this is obviously head and shoulders better for my needs.

When my budget recovers from some recent decisions I’ll definitely want another. They move quickly and easily from gun to gun but I’d rather not have to mess with it.

Reactions: wigwamitus
Looks good. I know they claim it doesn’t mess with its ranging capabilities. In your testing is that true?
I don't know yet - it literally arrived an hour ago. But I would suspect there's no problem unless MKM would make something without testing it?