• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Optics opinions

sable

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Texas
Im really sorry if this has been asked a million times, but i cant find it.

Im looking to get some opinions on the Vortex Vipers scopes. its between this scope or a Leupold.

are there any other scopes i should look at in the price range (~900) with 50mm objectives and LR capability?

Re: Vortex Optics opinions

Hey Tyler,

Most opinions will be positive, like mine. I have a few Vipers and Diamondbacks.

Great customer service, great product.

Use the search (you were bound to be told sooner or later).

Mike

I've got a 2-7 viper on my 338WM bear gun. Hasn't gone wrong yet, and that's saying something. That rifle's a scope-killer...

Look back a few weeks even without the search and yo will find lots of coverage on Vortex. I'ne had a Viper 6.5-20X44 for several months now and I really like it. Glass is good, adjustments are repeatable and you can feel the clicks. Passed the box test. I'll be buying more Vortex scopes. They are a real suprise for the price.

I bought a Crossfire 6-24x50 from SWFA last dear season. It was 99.00 and wow for the price it has been one of the best scopes I have had on a rifle. No issues with the scope, it continues to stay zeroed on my REM 700 .308.

Hope this helps.

Doc

this scope is going on a .300 WinMag if that matters.

what about the SWFA SS scopes? are they any good?

My first real scope was a SS10x. It was a solid scope. Taught me a about quality, good tracking, and nice glass. I got rid of it thinking I needed higher magnification and bought a Viper 20x. Now I have a new PST 4-16x on order so I'm starting to see where skill comes more into it than high magnification.

SWFA stands behind their product 100% so you can't go wrong with the SS either.

The HD version just seem to be a step above the original SS scopes but I haven't used one myself yet.

Mike

IMO you cannot go wrong with a Vortex for quality and the $. I own 3 and have never had a problem with any of them. Planning on putting a Razor on my next build....IF I can find one when the time comes.

Using a Sightron and a Vortex. Good glass in both. Track well. Knob lock screws for elevation on the Sightron are in a flimsy cap that fits too tightly. Factory said to heat it slightly and it would allow the cap to be zeroed. Duh...I don't carry a torch afield. Vortex has convenient spring loaded caps...the windage works fine on this one, but the elevation won't release the clicks to be zeroed. Both will have to go back to be corrected.