• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex or Falcon

Re: Vortex or Falcon

My vote goes to vortex. I had that specific scope and the only reason I replaced it is for a PST

I would go with the Falcon. It has a more useable set of features for that price point.

However you should keep in mind that while i have had nothing but great performance from my Falcon some users have had issues. Falcon service is only available through your original retailer and they usually have to go back to Falcon UK for service. Vortex customer service is legendary and lightning fast. I am not a fan of buying a product because of their CS, but it does play a factor in an expensive purchase.

I've never owned a falcon so I can't comment on them, but my experience with vortex has been A+ (as an optics snob who never bought anything that didn't say NF/S&B/Hensoldt before ;P) Incredible value for the money imho, at least as far as the 1-4's are concerned.

I have had good luck with Falcon. I no longer own the one I had but my buddy does and its tracked well and has good glass (IMO)

Vortex hands down. I am a die hard nf guy but vortex continually impresses me with every one of their products.

Falcon Menace sounds like something from Star Wars. I'm not sure I could own one solely because the name. I've never used one and dont have anything bad to say about them, other than the name, and that's just my weird personal preference.

I can however say that I love my Vortex. It's been an excellent scope. The customer service is also a major selling point.

I have owned both and I would go with vortex any day of the week because of their warranty and customer service. Falcon only has a5 year warranty if I am not mistaken

I thought about a Falcon once but after reading some pretty bad reviews here I took them off my list. Also, I've seen pics posted here of Flacon tubes broken in two. They were, at one time, two piece tubes and lacked the strength of the one piece counter parts.
I owned a lower end Vortex (early model) and was not impressed with it either. I do own a PST and a Razor spotter. Both have given great satisfaction to this point.
My vote would be on the Viper.

I had a Vortex Crossfire (bottom end scope) and the turrets would move after every shot. I got rid of it and bought another bottem end scope in a Sightmark Triple Duty. While it is a fine scope for the money the glass is poor in anything but optimal conditions.

So now I was sourcing new options and really wanted to order a Vortex Viper PST for all of it's fine features and quality. unfortunately funds aren't there yet so in the meantime I ordered a Falcon 5.5-25x56. I've looked through a Falcon and the glass was good for the price range, I like the features, the FFP, the reticle along with the MIL/MIL setup. I need scopes for both my Howa 1500 and my Bushy Predator so I figured I'd try the Falcon, swapping between rifles as necessary while I save up for the Viper. I'm hoping that in time the Falcon will prove itself a decent quality scope and will find a home on the AR and I'll stick the Viper on the Howa. We shall see. I do think it's cool that the Falcon has damn near the exact same features as the Viper PST (FFP, MIL/MIL, etc.)This will make jumping between rifle easier as far as ranging, elevation changes and such.

As far as the warranty is concerned. If I get 5 years out of a $450 scope I'll be happy. Chances are I'll upgrade it long before then. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a Night Force or S&B but beings that this is more of a hobby than a profession I can't justify the expense. I guess I use the same mentality with guns as I do with my tools, If they made me money I could justify it.

Also, keep in mind that if you go with the PST there is a wait as they are in high demand and backordered most everywhere from what I've found.

I just noticed that Falcon now has a limited lifetime warranty. IF SWFA is willing to provide a new scope to the original purchaser (lifetime) - then I might go Falcon.

I'm not sure if Falcon will still be around 5 - 10 years from now, but it does eliminate some of the risk. Call SWFA and find out how the warranty works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just noticed that Falcon now has a limited lifetime warranty. IF SWFA is willing to provide a new scope to the original purchaser (lifetime) - then I might go Falcon.

I'm not sure if Falcon will still be around 5 - 10 years from now, but it does eliminate some of the risk. Call SWFA and find out how the warranty works.</div></div>

If you look at Falcon's website it syas that by law in the UK (where the company is based) they are limited to a 10 year warranty despite the "Lifetime" label. American made products run the same in foreign countries, 10 years max outside the US.

I have the Falcon 5-25 50mm model and it's average at best. Turrets are mushy and glass is average. My vote would be for the Vortex. While I don't have a Viper or PST model Vortex I do own a Razor and I have to say that Vortex's customer service was outstanding when I returned my Razor for a modification.

Vortex, I have one mounted on my Remington .308 and love it. Banged the iron at 900 last night with the scope just before dark and it performed flawlessly!

Had Vortex Viper and the glass quality was pretty good but the eye relief was very short at higher power. I replaced with a PST as well.

If you want to explore the world of FFP, then the Falcon is the way to go.

They are very decent scopes, the mushy clicks is an easy fix, takes about 1 minute per turret to fix. Anybody that knows how to loosen the set screws can fix it and will be rewarded with very sharp, audible and tactile adjustments.

If it is a range gun and you won't be using the reticle for holdovers or range estimation, get the vortex. It has a very good reputation as a lot of scope for the money.

Having owned a Falcon and a Vortex I would go with Vortex PST.

Better glass
Better performance
Better warranty

But honestly I would spend a bit more and get something that would last a lifetime

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Vortex Viper line is available in FFP, fdkay. </div></div>
Wrong.
The scope he is asking about is the 6.5-20 SFP VIPER scope.
Vortex does NOT make a 6.5-20 FFP scope.

You are confusing models. The Viper PST line is available in FFP.

The difference is 500 dollars.

You are not the first.
The OP is asking about sub-500 dollar scopes and several persons have replied " Go with the 850 dollar scope"

If you can point me to a vendor selling the 6-24 FFP PST's for 400 bucks, I'll buy 2.

The Vortex Viper is the only scope under $500 that I felt comfortable at full power. Most will cause you way to much eye strain for me.

The warrenty and glass is worth it to me to not have as manny features. I am ruff on stuff....