• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex PST 1-4 vs PA 1-6 FFP

taboopineapple

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2020
AZ
I'm looking to outfit my range toy AK with a cheap budget lpvo and I can't make up my mind between these two. My buddy has a PST 1-4 and I was pretty impressed with it and the eyebox was very good and image seemed decent, but I'm not a fan of the tall turrets ,illum knob, and eyepiece seemed quite loose. I shot with another friends' PA 1-6 FFP about a year ago and it seemed to have quite a bit of fisheye but other than that it seemed fine and of course it has 2x more magnification. Anyone compared these optics side by side? The PST is $270 while the PA is $360 before tax which gives the PST a few points

I've ruled out the SFP PA because I hate how busy the reticle is. The Burris RT6 & Vortex PST gen 2 1-6 are also out of the question due to the ocular not clearing the rings I have on hand.

Look at the delta hornet 1-6x24, not sure it will work with your rings but if it does it's a lot like an updated Burris rt6 and can be had for $300-350. Made in the Philippines too.

For Chinese, would probably get the Swampfox Arrowhead 1-6x24 if I needed something cheap for under $400, or the Sig MSR 1-6x24.

Last edited:
Look at the delta hornet 1-6x24, not sure it will work with your rings but if it does it's a lot like an updated Burris rt6 and can be had for $300-350. Made in the Philippines too.

For Chinese, would probably get the Swampfox Arrowhead 1-6x24 if I needed something cheap for under $400, or the Sig MSR 1-6x24.
Huh I didn't even know Delta had another lpvo. It does look like it has the same 1.8"ish ocular as the RT6/PST which barely doesn't fit though. I'm curious what's different between the Hornet and RT6 though.

I had a 1-8 arrowhead before and I was not impressed at all. The glass was good but the 1x was kinda trash and gave me double vision(yes I adjusted the diopter, it was either 1x with fuzzy reticle or a .8x with a sharp reticle.). Sig MSR doesn't seem suited to this project as it's a 5.56 BDC and I don't need a mount

SWFA 1-4x24 are solid optics that track if need be and have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. There are a couple for sale in the exchange.

Reactions: camocorvette
The PST 1-4x can't hold a candle to any newer LPVO. It tunnels, eyebox is bottom of it's class, FOV is terrible, illumination is a non event, reticle is a personal preference thing but it's definitely not fast, and it's very fine in a bad way, the turrets will get bumped.
It was pretty decent for it's time but scopes have come a really long way in the last decade.

What is the ring issue that rules out all the best scopes in this category? Edit, just realized it's going on an AK..

Reactions: taboopineapple
SWFA 1-4x24 are solid optics that track if need be and have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. There are a couple for sale in the exchange.
Was gonna grab them both for the price. Their solid optics for the price.

Vortex strike eagle 1-8 is a good option too. Rocked one on a truck/tractor/lawn mower gun for over 2 years so far and no issues. It's gets beat to crap and works

PST 1-4 glass is crap. I had one for a week and sold it after two range trips. My eyes kept watering.

I know you can't use the gen 2 PST 1-6x, but the glass on that one is SO MUCH better. no prob recommending it for people that can use it

PST 1-4 glass is crap. I had one for a week and sold it after two range trips. My eyes kept watering.

I know you can't use the gen 2 PST 1-6x, but the glass on that one is SO MUCH better. no prob recommending it for people that can use it
Hmm I think I’m going to go ahead and try the PA SLx raptor. I was expecting to get better feedback on the PST 1-4 glass given it’s a Philippine made optic. If the PA turns out to be a disappointment, I can always return it with a full refund. They also happened to run the 12% sale again today which seals the deal.

I’ve considered selling my rings and buying new rings so I can use my pst 1-6 but it seems like rings have very little resale and I always like trying new optics, which has become quite expensive lol. Also my AK is already an absolute pig with the beryl rail so the PST gen 2 would definitely not help in that department.

Last edited:
Just buy rings on the PX. The optic "protects" the rings/mounts from damage...

As long as you buy a quality brand, the worst thing is that some of the little screws are stripped. You'll just pay $10 for shipping when you sell them

NF standard duty work great for .223 in my experience. Great price

Never tried them with larger calibers.

I will heartily disagree with the above consensus on the PST Gen 1 1-4 scope. I think it's a great option FOR THE MONEY even today. Try adjusting the diopter once maybe. I had one of these when they were just out and just replaced it with a new one from Eurooptic for $270. Great back-up LPVO and ten times the scope of a Strike Eagle. Eyebox is excellent on 1x. This coming from a guy who's credit score is permanently damaged from buying optics. I think it is a great LPVO for an inside 300 yard AR.

Reactions: taboopineapple
Just a quick update. I got my PA 1-6 FFP in today and played around with it a bit outside. This is the cheapest lpvo I've bought in a bit but I owned a Burris RT6 and Swampfox Arrowhead 1-8 before. I also have a PST 1-6, PLx 1-8, and Elcan Spectre 1/4x on hand to compare it to.

Initial impressions are decent. The glass is definitely noticeable below any of the other optics I own but it really isn't bad. There is a large amount of fisheye at 6x when panning. The illum is pretty useless here in AZ but I was kinda expecting that and the reticle is a little small but seems useable, especially when the gun it's going on doesn't really get amazing splits to begin with. Besides that the optic seems pretty good and is on par with the PST in most other regards.

In terms of the other 2 "budget" lpvo's I owned mentioned earlier. The glass seems on par with the RT6 and worse than the Arrowhead. Definitely better than the strike eagle or PA SFP version. It does seem more forgiving than either(especially the Arrowhead) and of course it's FFP which is a plus to a lot of people. The RT6 is probably better value if you don't care about FFP but it is a cool feature to have for not that much more money.

The PST 1-4x can't hold a candle to any newer LPVO. It tunnels, eyebox is bottom of it's class, FOV is terrible, illumination is a non event, reticle is a personal preference thing but it's definitely not fast, and it's very fine in a bad way, the turrets will get bumped.
It was pretty decent for it's time but scopes have come a really long way in the last decade.

What is the ring issue that rules out all the best scopes in this category? Edit, just realized it's going on an AK..

Spot on assessment of that PST. The reticle in that 1-4 is damn near unusable unless your target is in all white.

Interested in @marsh1's offerings from Primary Arms. PA has been doing very well in developing their optics line and standing behind their products. Unlike SWFA, who I believe would have had a very solid niche in the optics market, but they failed to continue development with regards to their offerings. The optics they do produce, for the price, are very robust. Unfortunately, the reticles are beyond dated.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger