• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST 1-4 x24 for an STG58

limamike56

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
Western North Carolina
Any thoughts or perspective on a Vortex PST 1-4x24 for an STG58 would be appreciated. It shoots 1.5 to 1.75 inch groups with Radway Green. I would like the ability to easily adjust for windage and have some ranging built into the scope for longer distances (300-600 yards). My concern is the reticle looks a little cluttered on the Vortex website and difficult to use. 80% of my shooting is 300 yards and under.

Re: Vortex PST 1-4 x24 for an STG58

Well, Vortex hasn't officially started shipping them yet but to me it appears that it will be a awesome DMR type scope, especially for the money! I have one on order and probably will add several more to the collection if I like it as much as I expect to! Mine will initially be going on a STG-556 to test it at mid-range distances. Next I'll probably try it on one of my M1A's in a similar setup to your STG-58...

All told I am very excited for this scope and think it will be perfect for the role I (and you) what it to be used in.

Thanks for the information. I have one on order and look forward to seeing what it will do. On several points, it seems ideal for a DMR scope, 1 power for CQB to 4 power for target identification and distance. The ability to do range estimation and quickly adjust for windage and holdover, a 30mm tube and illuminated reticle are great features. I am still not sure what you gain from the four curved red bars surrounding the center red dot except a busy reticle. It is hard to tell from the picture on the Vortex website just how much space this all takes up.

I believe those bars are to draw your eye to the center of the reticle, sort of like how the EoTech sights work...

The basis behind the interrupted circle is for CQB purposes and for quick engagements on man size targets at 100yds and under. The inside of the circle is 18moa on the moa reticle and 5 mils on the mil reticle.
I think it is a very effective reticle and most will be quite satisfied with it.

Scott

You did a much better job explaining it than I did Scott. If it works anything like the EoTech reticle (similar principle at least) I imagine it will be very effective for CQB.