• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST 6-24 FFP for Varmints?

phlii

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2007
Portland, Oregon aka Hippyville!
As a basis for comparison, I have a Rem M700 .223 varmint gun that wore a NF NXS until I put it on something that sees more use. At a local shop, I looked through a 6-24 PST with the reticle in the second focal plane and liked it but am wondering if the FFP reticle is suitable for zapping varmints. Unfortunately, the shop did not have an FFP model. Specifically, I shoot ground squirrels and rock chucks at a max range of 3-400 yards. I am curious if the FFP reticle is too thick in the higher magnifications to obscure the little guys. Can anybody who uses either scope for varmint hunting provide input? Thanks.

Last edited:
I think the magnification range is great for varmints... but I don't think FFP is necessary. Also don't think FFP would hurt though.

I don't think the FFP reticle on high magnification would cover up the little guys. Worst case scenario if it did, you could just tweek the turrets a little so you could hold a hair up or down and to the left or right. Personally, I'd go with the FFP. Much more user friendly when it comes to adjustments (mil/mil) and ranging if needed. If you can get your hands on an FFP before you buy anything, max out the magnification and see if the reticle looks too thick. What shop are you looking in?

I don't think the FFP reticle on high magnification would cover up the little guys. Worst case scenario if it did, you could just tweek the turrets a little so you could hold a hair up or down and to the left or right. Personally, I'd go with the FFP. Much more user friendly when it comes to adjustments (mil/mil) and ranging if needed. If you can get your hands on an FFP before you buy anything, max out the magnification and see if the reticle looks too thick. What shop are you looking in?

Thanks for that video, it is helpful. The only place I have found them locally is Sportsman's Warehouse and the SFP 6-24 I looked at is gone. I have used FFP before but never for varmint hunting. I think it would help with follow-ups after a miss, which happens quite a bit, for some reason... The NF MLR reticle has worked very well for me, so I suppose if I find a FFP 6-24 locally, I could bring mine in and compare side by side.

Thanks to all for your responses. If anyone else has anything to add, I would be glad to read it.

shot pdogs out to 400 with the xlr reticle in the 6-24 ff vortex hs and it worked great

If you don't need the illumination I'd take a serious look at the Viper HS LR FFP 6-24x50 with XLR reticlue:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ortex-viper-hs-lr-ffp-scopes-xlr-reticle.html

It has an open center with micro-dot for VERY precise aiming. I've had a FFP 6-24x PST since March '11 and have sent well over 2k rounds downrange through it. The only thing I would change about it is the reticule thickness. The HS LR w/XLR is essentially a PST without illumination, capped 1/4 MOA windage, and 1/2 MOA exposed elevation, and the PST price tag. If this scope was offered in Mil/Mil a lot more people on this forum would be talking about it.

If you don't need the illumination I'd take a serious look at the Viper HS LR FFP 6-24x50 with XLR reticlue:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ortex-viper-hs-lr-ffp-scopes-xlr-reticle.html

It has an open center with micro-dot for VERY precise aiming. I've had a FFP 6-24x PST since March '11 and have sent well over 2k rounds downrange through it. The only thing I would change about it is the reticule thickness. The HS LR w/XLR is essentially a PST without illumination, capped 1/4 MOA windage, and 1/2 MOA exposed elevation, and the PST price tag. If this scope was offered in Mil/Mil a lot more people on this forum would be talking about it.

We have one at my work in 4-16 and I have to agree with Bunsen. The HS with the XLR would be phenomenal if they had matching turrets in either all .25 MOA or .1 MRAD rather than the weird configuration it is now. I don't normally worry about dialing for wind, but it would've made more sense since they cap the windage turret to have the elevation be 1/4 MOA and the windage be 1/2 MOA especially with that reticle designed for hold-offs. I wish they'd offer the EBR-2B for the PST.

sub_vpr_hs-lr_f_6-24x50_xlr_moa.jpg

sub_rzr_f_5-20x50_ebr2b_mrad.jpg

Last edited:
so far I have liked the 1/2 moa adjustment if I feel the need for 75 bucks they will switch the turret to 1/4

my SS 5-20 completely covers a ground hog @1050 on 20X. i like SFP for varmints.

we do a lot of GH killin, and we have 1 farm that has an old lime kiln on it. it elevates us to about 50ft above the fields. we had one at 1050 come out, and i missed it by about 6" right, elevation was good, @1040 lazed. i have it on video somewhere.

and he was a fat fucker.

Specifically, I shoot ground squirrels and rock chucks at a max range of 3-400 yards. I am curious if the FFP reticle is too thick in the higher magnifications to obscure the little guys.
For that use you should be fine. It'll be a little thick on the squirrels at that range but still usable, and just fine for the chucks. Much farther than that on squirrels or p-dogs and you might wish for a thinner reticle. I have this scope mounted on my .204 Ruger for similar use, by the time the reticle is too thick for anything the .204 is pretty much out of poop.

we do a lot of GH killin, and we have 1 farm that has an old lime kiln on it. it elevates us to about 50ft above the fields. we had one at 1050 come out, and i missed it by about 6" right, elevation was good, @1040 lazed. i have it on video somewhere.

and he was a fat fucker.

A relative of mine has a pet one, she feeds it table scraps. He's about a foot wide and 30-35lbs. Maybe it was him lol

and he was a fat fucker.

You know the rule.... It didnt happen unless you have video to post. :)

For that use you should be fine. It'll be a little thick on the squirrels at that range but still usable, and just fine for the chucks. Much farther than that on squirrels or p-dogs and you might wish for a thinner reticle. I have this scope mounted on my .204 Ruger for similar use, by the time the reticle is too thick for anything the .204 is pretty much out of poop.

I know this might sound confusing to some but if it gets out there I sometime will resort to adjusting right .50 mil and up another .20 mil and make the PD's head sit on top of the first post to the right. :) SMACK. :) This is real easy with a mil/mil FFP scope. :) Disclaimer: Results will vary. :)

Last edited:

here's one at 698 yards with my 20" ar 75gr bthp HL.

i'll have my buddy send the others. i'm not the video guru.

Great info. That XLR looks real good but I'm a mil/mil kind of guy. But I am leaning toward the FFP. With my NXS, I would use the high mag to spot and verify the target then back off to reduce mirage before sending the life-ending round. So based on the input here, I don't think the full FFP reticle would be a factor.

Last edited:
if you don't need illum, i'd check out the new SS 3-15. it's probably the best mag ranger there is, and it's supposed to be a nice piece.

You're in Ptld. so there are a couple of places you can find Vortex products. NW Armory on Mcloughlin in Milwaukie has a decent inventory and are good people. Fisherman's Marine Supply has Vortex and there are a couple of locations. The Fisherman's Marine at Delta Park seems to have the most inventory.

If your buying strictly for varmint shooting, consider the standard Viper 6.5-20X44 or 50. These are more than adequate for varmints and less than $500.00. As there are no references for size on a rockpile I see no reason to have FFP on a rock-chuck rifle. I bought one of these Vipers a couple of years ago and now there are five of them between the two guys I hunt chucks with and myself. The only complaints have come from the chucks. Cameraland had these on sale awhile ago for under $300.00 and if you check "optics for sale" they occasionally come up for that kind of money.