• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Vortex PST FFP vs. Better SFP for F T/R

Done Vida

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2012
Tennessee
I need some help with my scope decision. I'd like to spend at or under $1000 plus tax for a scope to be placed on a rifle that is going to be used specifically for getting my feet wet in F T/R matches. I have been shopping around and I'm at a crossroads. I like the looks and price of the Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 FFP. I've read the threads on the FFP vs. SFP topic but still a little hazy on the F class vs F T/R class process. In F T/R will I need to range targets quickly or are distances known? Or is F T/R the same as F minus the weight, bipod, and caliber restrictions? Depending on the answer to that question, would it be better to go with the Vortex or get a better quality SFP scope without the features I don't need (illuminated reticule). Any suggestions on a good quality SFP would be appreciated as well. Sorry, I know its a lot of questions. I'm new to long range shooting and the extra in put would help
Thanks

Re: Vortex PST FFP vs. Better SFP for F T/R

No need for FFP for F/TR.. All known distance shots. i have the pst 6 -24 on an ar10 and like the scope alot for a mid priced optic.
That being said for f-class the more magnafication the better as far as I am concerned.(old eyes)
I use a 8-32 for F/TR and wish i had got the 12-42

Based on your budget you should be able to pick up a good used Sightron 10-50 for $750-900 which is probably the best scope for the money for an F/TR rifle IMO.

I second the SFP option over FFP. One thing I have seen over the past year are the occasional NF Benchrest series scopes popping up in the PX section for around $1,000 with some being less. I have one and it is amazing except for the limited reticle travel. My solution is to drop it on a 25moa canted base and call it good.

If you can wait a bit, I would strongly suggest looking in the PX section for a NF Benchrest.

I shoot F class with a Razor FFP and it works great. That said FFP is of little to no use for F Class alone and some people think that the reticle covers too much target at full magnification. That is why I like the 2B-R with the open center it helps a lot.

I'd agree with SFP instead of a FFP scope. I picked up the 6-24x PST FFP and love the optics quality, but wish I'd gotten the SFP one. At 600 and 1000 yards it covers up way too much of the target at 24x.

I have a FFP Vortex 6x24 and I bought it before I knew my niche would be FTR. Awesome scope but I am regretting the purchase as the reticle size does annoy me now on 24x. At some point in the near future I will be selling this one and looking for a higher mag SFP scope.

NF 8-32 and 12-42s pop up for sale at under a grand from time to time. I ran the 12-42 when I shot IBS.