• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Gen 1 vs ........

hb62863

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2014
Oklahoma
For the money can it be beat and if so with what? i've owned from Bushnell Banners to S&B PM II's so I know optically it's not the best. But for the price, within $200 can you do any better? It's FFP and they're proven for tracking as far as I've heard.

I would buy a used PST Gen. 2 and pay a bit more all day. The excellent warranty covers every used scope the same no matter what.

A few quick options in that price range (if you want to buy new):

1. For about $100 more you can get a Gen 2 Sig Tango 4 4-16x44 with a Dev-L MRAD reticle (Model # SOT46114 ). It's optically superior to a Gen 1 PST, has a proper zero stop (as opposed to shims in the PST), and the tree reticle is excellent. I have a Gen 1 4-16x and it's solid.

Check the first retailer on the list at Gun.Deals: https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/SOT46114

2. For about $50 less, if you are okay not having a tree reticle, the Nikon FX-1000 is a good option: https://www.eurooptic.com/Nikon-BLACK-FX1000-Riflescope-4-16x50SF-Matte-IL-FX-MRAD-FFP-16514.aspx . Sure Nikon is out of the game and isn't getting much love, but I think it's a better scope than the PST Gen 1 since the Nikon has a proper zero stop. There were some discussions a few years back that the Nikon is essentially an updated PST Gen 1 4-16x50. Folks are of course worried about the ongoing warranty and resale value and those are certainly considerations. I have an FX-1000 6-24x50 and I like it just fine. I'm not worried about the warranty or intending to sell it; I got a great deal at $399 NIB.

The above suggestion of a used Gen 2 PST is a good suggestion. I have a Gen 2 5-25x and the Gen 2 is worth the upgrade if you find one used.

If you can stretch to the $750 mark, the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRTS 4.5-18x from CameralandNY is a bargain. I have a 3-12x LRTSi and the 4.5-18x LRHSi and they are ridiculous value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted Harte
Get a used PST Gen2 3-15x44. It is a serious step up from Gen 1.

If you do not need zero stop SWFA SS 3-15x42 is worth a look.

SwampFox Kentucky Long series is surprisingly competent and is also in the right price range.

ILya

I picked up a used SWFA recently and installed the zero stop kit. It was, in fact, dead easy. And it's a great scope so far. Not a tree reticle but I don't mind.

I would look at the Gen II PST or even the Strike Eagle in that price range. Both are better than the Gen 1 PSTs.

Thank you guys for the responses.. I'll hang around for a Gen 2 PST to make it's way into the classifieds..