• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Gen II 5-25x

TexasEric

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Is this a good scope fist focal plane scope for the cost. I am planning to buy a used one from this site later. I plan to use it to learn distance shooting up to a thousand yards for paper and targets.

I would also like your hear other suggestions for quality scopes in this mag range. For $900-1200 cost range. Used would be preferred, new if necessary.

here is the link

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex...pe-black.html?_iv_code=VX-RS-VVG250R-PST-5255

Not sure which reticule to use, am most comfortable with MOA.

Last edited:
I have the 3-15x version and have used it out to 1000 yards. The 5-25x would certainly be more than capable.

Eric, I have this scope - the Vortex PST II 5-25x50 FFP with the EBR-2C Mil (MRAD) reticle. I received the scope several weeks ago but have not been able to shoot with it yet, I have been able to play around with it and compare it to some other scopes in my arsenal and also scopes that have been in my arsenal but that I no longer have. I began my journey about 6 years ago with my high end scopes being a Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 4-16x50 and a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44, my thought back then was that no one needed a scope that cost more than $500 and paying a bit more than that for the Zeiss Conquest was hard to swallow. But then I was introduced to Snipers Hide and the rest, as they say, is history. Well that history has taken me through thousands of dollars of scopes as I continue to be educated by the community, and educate myself and my eyes as I hone and improve upon my shooting skills. I realized early on that many people have many different opinions and the Snipers Hide community certainly has them as well, but what I've noticed, by and large, is that there are fewer unsubstantiated claims in SH than most other sites I've visited for shooting info, meaning you get the advice of shooters with experience. I then took this great advice from many in the community and compared that to my preconceived notion that "no one needs a scope that costs more than $500" and decided the only way to know for certain was to see for myself which was either a blessing or a curse depending on which way you look at it - a blessing for my eyes and a curse for my wallet.

Why on earth do I give you such a background, it is because years ago I bought a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP in one of my very first scope tests. As part of that test I had purchased not only the Vortex, but also a US Optics 3.8-22x44 (a hot scope at SH at the time), an IOR (Valdada) 3-18x42 and a Bushnell ET DMR 3.5-21x50. My first round of tests revealed that all these scopes actually did a decent job but overall optical clarity went to the US Optics; however, for price and versatility the Bushnell DMR ran a close 2nd for my tastes. I also really liked the Vortex PST but since all my scopes doubled as both paper/steel and hunting scopes, there was another test I had to incorporate and that was low light tests and this is where the men were separated from the boys and I found that the PST really struggled in low light to give me clarity and detail I felt necessary for shooting in these conditions. So the Bushnell hung around for about a year and then I found a great deal on a Zeiss Diavari FL 4-16x50, considered to have some of the best glass of any scope (at least so I thought) which put the other scopes to shame in regard to optical clarity and soon thereafter I bought a Premier LT 3-15x50 which actually had better glass than the Zeiss, in fact, to this day the Premier (now Tangent Theta) reigns as one of the best scopes you can buy in regard to optical performance. Over the years I have shared many of my own test results with the community because I realize how difficult it is to obtain one, let alone several top tier scopes to compare and for those who don't want to go through the hassle of buying and selling scopes as a hobby.

You also mention that you prefer MOA and that is where I used to be as well, the biggest reason was because I incorrectly thought MOA = inches and MIL = centimeters, but the reality is that both are angular measurements and they just happen to be close to inch/centimeter, but thanks to the Hide I realized trying to calculate inches at different ranges wasn't all that efficient and utilizing ballistic calculators really helps in identifying not how many inches or centimeters to adjust, but how many MOA or MIL to adjust, what's even worse is there was a time when there were Mil reticles with MOA turrets and that just confused everything for me. I also learned that 1 mil = 36"/3' at 1000 yards, and 18" at 500 yards and so forth, these are common measurements for big game and I realize that Mil is actually more favorable for the majority of my shooting situations so now all my scopes are Mil/Mil scopes. That being said, there is nothing wrong with MOA and if you prefer to use MOA/MOA scopes then there is no issue with that as all competent ballistic calculators will give results in both Mil and MOA.

Now, after all that, to get to your question: is the Vortex PST II 5-25x50 FFP a "good" scope for the cost and my answer to that based on my experience so far with the scope is an emphatic yes. The issues I had with the previous generation PST have disappeared and the PST II appears to be a good low light performer. I also like the reticle on it and think Vortex did an excellent job with the PST II as glass appears better, mechanics are really good and getting rid of the illumination tumor (hint, hint Schmidt & Bender) was also a nice touch. I've also had the Burris XTR II 4-20x50 which falls right into your price range and I'd have to say that scope might have a slight edge in optical clarity, but suffered from a bizarre optical aberration that I called "radial distortion" which Big Jim Fish summed up nicely in his review of the scope where he writes "As the user moves his head around in the eyebox, he will note different parts of the image coming into and loosing focus." and I found that when my eye was positioned right the image was great but when your eye position was wrong it made you feel like you needed glasses at times, in lieu of this, while I liked the scope in general, for me it caused too much eye fatigue. I do not experience anything like this with the PST II which is great news but do want to get more time behind it to make a final judgement. The next scopes I would put in the upper end of this price range would be the Bushnell ET DMR but at only 5 mils per rev and no illumination along with it's heft at 34oz kind of put's it in a different category, but I'd say this is a great optic for a gas gun like an AR-10. I also have a Bushnell ET LRTS 4.5-18x44 scope which has impressed me at every turn, the glass in this scope is really impressive, I would say it is definitely better than the PST II, the DMR and even the DMR II (which I also have at this time) by a slight margin. What I cannot speak to with the PST II is it's mechanical reliability as I've only recently obtained it and just mounted it to my 17 HMR "trainer" and finding time for the range of late has been more difficult.

Hopefully this helps you with your thought process as well as give you some other options with scopes in this price range.

Thanks for taking the time to do that write up wjm308. I would really like to hear your end review on the gen 2 pst, hopefully that will be soon.
The only thing I found bothersome was you said the Burris XTRII had a slight advantage in glass. I have seen a lot of people saying the glass was not very good in those, or at the very least not consistently good.
I am coming from a Gen 1 4-16x50 FFP PST and was hoping the glass would be a big improvement in the Gen 2 and not hold me back. The 4-16 seemed to be fine until I got over 12x, then it seemed like the reticle was too thick for my taste and clarity fell off pretty fast.

Totally looking forward to hearing the results of your testing. Thanks for the knowledge!

No comparisons between the 1st Gen PST and the Gen II. I owned both and have had my PST II up and running for the past 2 months. I've shot several matches with it along with multiple practices. The PST II has taken every feature and facet to another level. I could be happy with it for years to come even though I expect to get my AMG shipped soon.

Thanks for taking the time to do that write up wjm308. I would really like to hear your end review on the gen 2 pst, hopefully that will be soon.
The only thing I found bothersome was you said the Burris XTRII had a slight advantage in glass. I have seen a lot of people saying the glass was not very good in those, or at the very least not consistently good.
I am coming from a Gen 1 4-16x50 FFP PST and was hoping the glass would be a big improvement in the Gen 2 and not hold me back. The 4-16 seemed to be fine until I got over 12x, then it seemed like the reticle was too thick for my taste and clarity fell off pretty fast.

A bit of clarification, as I pointed out in my post, the Burris suffers from an optical aberration that really fatigues my eyes, when your eye is just right the image and resolution is impressive at its price point, but when your eye is not right the image is distorted, for this reason I have difficulty recommending the Burris XTR II 4-20, but I did successfully use it for a year or so.

I'd also like to say that my recommendation for the PST II 5-25x50 FFP is based on my experience with scopes at this price range. While I never had the old PST side by side with the PST II from memory I feel I can confidently say they have made improvements, both mechanically and optically. The 4-16x50 struggled in low light performance where the new 5-25x50 does not struggle as much. Optically I'd say the Bushnell ET DMR series is better, certainly my DMR II is better in regard to IQ and resolution. When I was doing impromptu resolution tests between scopes I even pulled out my Vortex AMG and Minox ZP5 and set them all to 18x (to match the max mag of the LRTS) and there is no comparison between the upper end scopes like the AMG/ZP5 and the PST II, but the PST II also doesn't cost 2.5 - 3x more like these scopes do. Here's how I'd rank these scopes based on my first impressions:

Optical quality in good light (all scopes set to 18x):
Minox ZP5 5-25x56 > Vortex AMG 6-24x50 > Bushnell ET LRTS 4.5-18x44 > Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21x50 > Vortex PST II FFP 5-25x50

You can see the Vortex PST II comes up last in the bunch, but the Vortex is also the cheapest and that must weigh into the equation - can you get a better scope optically, yes you can, but you're going to have to pay more for it and there are other trade offs as well. Back to the OP's original question, is the PST II a good scope for the price and my answer is yes, it is an improvement over the original PST in almost every way and Vortex kept the price to what I would call reasonable especially for newcomers to the sport. The verdict is still out on the PST II regarding it's mechanical performance over the long haul (they just started shipping a couple months ago), but quickdraw's comments are a very positive start.

Does Vortex offer a Mil/LEO discount?

R

Yea, but by the time they ship it to you they will probably have the Gen 3 out.....I got a friend(in the military) who had two ordered directly through Vortex since January every time he calls they tell him another month, he got tired of waiting and ordered a Razor Gen2 from a SH vendor for a pretty good discount.

Optical quality in good light (all scopes set to 18x):
Minox ZP5 5-25x56 > Vortex AMG 6-24x50 > Bushnell ET LRTS 4.5-18x44 > Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21x50 > Vortex PST II FFP 5-25x50

You can see the Vortex PST II comes up last in the bunch, but the Vortex is also the cheapest and that must weigh into the equation - can you get a better scope optically, yes you can, but you're going to have to pay more for it and there are other trade offs as well. Back to the OP's original question, is the PST II a good scope for the price and my answer is yes, it is an improvement over the original PST in almost every way and Vortex kept the price to what I would call reasonable especially for newcomers to the sport. The verdict is still out on the PST II regarding it's mechanical performance over the long haul (they just started shipping a couple months ago), but quickdraw's comments are a very positive start.

Why was the Burris not in there?
Would it be last instead of the Vortex at that point?

Tried to get my hands on a PST Gen II 5-25x but everywhere I look they seem to be out of stock. Any idea where I might find them in stock?

There was one on eBay, it's buy it now was 1399. Look on the for sale section here, there was a couple on there.

Why was the Burris not in there?
Would it be last instead of the Vortex at that point?

Because those are all scopes that I have right now. Due to the distortion the Burris exhibits I would have to rank it last, absolutely love the scope for everything else, but similar to the Steiner T5Xi fiasco I am not quite sure what is going on up in Greeley of late.

Also, these are preliminary rankings, I really need to get these scopes on the resolution chart to make better determinations, but I will say this, I did some more tweaking with the diopter and believe I have the PST II better dialed in now, after doing so I feel it is much closer to the DMR II/LRTS than before which is impressive for its price point, but again, until I can get them out for some resolution tests it's hard to say for sure.

There was one on eBay, it's buy it now was 1399. Look on the for sale section here, there was a couple on there.

Thanks! Didn't find any on Ebay. Worth mentioning is that I am looking for the Mrad version and new but they seem to be gone from the stores.

Check the px here and also sign up for in stock notification anywhere you can. I found one on the px about 3 months ago when nobody had them. It is a great scope for the money, the only thing close in that price range would of been the Bushnell lrhs when they had the 25% off promo going.

Yea, but by the time they ship it to you they will probably have the Gen 3 out.....I got a friend(in the military) who had two ordered directly through Vortex since January every time he calls they tell him another month, he got tired of waiting and ordered a Razor Gen2 from a SH vendor for a pretty good discount.

Can agree with that I'm still waiting on my pst gen 2 after a while and they say it will most likely get here in december. If it's not here by September I'm just going to cancel my order and look for a Burris xtr or athlon Cronus. I'm in the same boat trying to decide on an optic.