• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST Gen ll vs Strike Eagle

ncfireman83

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2019
North Carolina
I’ve recently acquired a scope of each, PST Gen ll SFP 3-15x44 and a Strike Eagle 3-18x44 both in MOA. I haven’t received the strike eagle yet but what research I’ve been able to do I’ve found these scopes have more similarities than I thought. Now I’m saying that, I don’t shoot competition or every weekend like some, but I’m an avid hunter and wanted good glass at a good price (Firemans salary!) I know the model strike eagle I purchased has been discontinued, and got it at, what I think was a steal, 300.00. I have a feeling I have missed something due to the big price difference between the two so if anyone has some insight between the two let me know!

The Viper PST Gen II has ED glass, a zero stop, and a "precision" erector system. The Strike Eagle has 6 ratio magnification vs. the 5 ratio of the PST Gen II.

Reactions: ncfireman83
Dustysa4, thanks. Yeah I did notice no zero stops on SE. after looking through PST and knowing the Vortex warranty I figured I couldn’t go wrong with the deal on the SE for a true woods rifle!

I'd be curious to know your thoughts on how their glass compares. I suspect most of the cost difference is in the mechanics.

I’m curious as well. I’ve had several PSTs and the stoke eagles I’ve played with didn’t have as good of glass or reticles. But I haven’t seen a 3-18 version yet.

Honestly, I do not think I have seen anything in the Strike Eagle product line that was worth buying, but I am sure Vortex disagrees with me (they did not appreciate me saying it at last SHOT).

I do like PST Gen 2, but I have never laid eyes on the SFP version of it. I sorta struggle with why you would want a SFP version of PST Gen 2. What is the application you have in mind?

ILya

I’m doing a build for some longer range hunting so SFP suits my needs better for that rather than FFP

That sorta makes sense. I am not sure why SFP offers any advantage over FFP (it is quite the opposite), but I have seen people make that argument and it mostly comes from familiarity. Not the way I would go, but to each his own.

Once you go SFP, there are a lot of other options, so it is somewhat unusual to see a SFP PST Gen 2.

ILya

That sorta makes sense. I am not sure why SFP offers any advantage over FFP (it is quite the opposite), but I have seen people make that argument and it mostly comes from familiarity. Not the way I would go, but to each his own.

Once you go SFP, there are a lot of other options, so it is somewhat unusual to see a SFP PST Gen 2.

ILya
Reticle stays large even on low power. Extremely important for a hunter with less than ideal lighting conditions. This is where FFP are weak. With lower power scopes such as a 3-15, FFP isnt an advantage for a hunter. Its actually a hindrance.

Reticle stays large even on low power. Extremely important for a hunter with less than ideal lighting conditions. This is where FFP are weak. With lower power scopes such as a 3-15, FFP isnt an advantage for a hunter. Its actually a hindrance.

Illumination generally takes care of low power reticle visibility issues in low light.

Beside, since he mentioned that he is building a longer range hunting setup, I do not think low power is that huge of a concern.

ILya

So strike eagle is here, so far these are the differences:

Turrets are noticeably different but still have positive clicks both sound and feel

parralax adjustment only has number at 20, but those numbers are generally a guess and most dial it until picture is clear

As far as glass goes.... it will have take someone that is a glass-ologist aka way more familiar with glass than me to pick out which version they are looking through ! Hahahaha

Overall.... I think I got a quality optic that suits my exact needs and then some by a reputable company that stands behind their products so I couldn’t be happier with the price I got this thing at! Now I will say if I had my way it would of been another PST Gen ll but that’s just my OCD.

Another huge factor that many don’t always remember is the Strike Eagle is made in China. The PST line is made in the Phillipenes.
I’m sure the cost difference in manufacturing is pretty big. Vortex can pay $50 a scope, charge $300, and replace it 2-3 times and still make $$.
Considering the “average “ shooter/hunter puts 20 rounds a year down the pipe, they don’t break as many scopes, so on the whole, Vortex does very well.
This is in absolutely no way a bash on Vortex. I have had their scopes in the past, and I have a Razor Spotting Scope. It’s just pure fact. That business model works for them, and they sell a metric shit ton of scopes.
Once you get into the Razor line of rifle scopes, you get to Japan, and LOW manufactured glass. The quality goes up considerably.