• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex PST or Venom

ronnielee54

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2012
Arkansas
Went to local shop today to get a price for a new Vortex Venom 5x25-56 scope. His supplier was out of stock but he quoted me a price of $448.00. Was looking in the display case and saw a new Strike Eagle for $699.00. Looked a little closer and noticed a used PST 5x25-50 Gen II for $450.00. Had some scope ring marks on it but everything else looked good. Now I'm really confused about what to do. The PST is a FFP MOA scope. I was in a hurry to get back to work so I didn't get to ask any questions such as does he have the original box. Wondering if I had any problems with it, would Vortex take it back without original packaging.

Straight from the Vortex website

OUR VIP WARRANTY IS ABOUT YOU, NOT US.​

VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex® product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was or where you purchased it. If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods and monoculars.

• UNLIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
  • FULLY TRANSFERABLE
  • NO RECEIPT NEEDED
The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

No worries.
Get the PST II if you don’t mind MOA and like the reticle.

I would say PST if it were not for the disgusting MOAs, glass is notably better which is good for extended viewing.

I would go the Strike Eagle over the Venom if it were me, locking turrets, illumination and better FOV are worth the extra money to me.

Not sure how the glass compares between the Venom, PST and Strike Eagle.

That is a very cheap price for even a used PST Gen II. A slight red flag for me. Where did he get it from? Vortex will cover any issues but I would ask some questions about why so cheap if you go back in.

The PST is a better scope than the Venom as it has better features and glass. The SE is closer to the PST in glass and features. Would depend on what the scope is going on though for which would be a better choice.

Reactions: camocorvette
I have dealt with this guy for many years and trust him 100%. He took the the scope off of a rifle he had traded for. I called Vortex and they said no problem. They even told me to send the scope in and there techs would inspect, clean, and replace anything missing no charge. The scope is going on a Bergara B14R. I went back and bought it last night.

If you know the guy and trust him then good deal. On the Rimfire with a 20 moa base it should allow you to dial to about 350 yards give it take.

I would definitely get the PST Gen 2; try it out and if you dont like the glass or the reticle or anything else you should be able to easily get out of it for every penny and probably a bit more then what you will have paid for it.

Reactions: YotaEer and Rob01
For sure do the PST just make sure it's ffp. I bought one several years ago being told it was ffp. I didn't know any better at the time and it was sfp.

Vortex VIP warranty in my op is second to none so I would have no reservations in that dept, alot of good points stated above.

Another vote for the pst...

as far as moa.... giphy.gif

I kid, I kid..