• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST v. Nightforce v. Other?

neoinarien

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2008
Wisconsin
Getting a new scope, going on a Tikka Scout.

Budget is $1500 ish, but if the Vortex PST is close to nightforce, and it is half the price, then I am ok with that.

Rifle will be used for comps, etc, out to 1k yards.

Thoughts? Is nightforce THAT much better?

Re: Vortex PST v. Nightforce v. Other?

Are you talking about SFP or FFP?

I can't comment on the PST.

The NF F1 is nearly 3 times the price. I think it's one of the best rounded scopes out there. The SFP NF's are the old reliable standby but I sold them except for the 2.5-10 in favor of the HDMR's.

If you've ever had a scope go down, you will begin to appreciate one of the more important categories of scope performance: Robustness and Reliability.

The PST did not come close to giving me the sense of indestructability that are evident in scopes like the NF, Vortex Razor, Bushnell HDMR and others, but then they cost a lot less. You could use one of the latter as a tire iron or club if need be and it would still function. Just because you spend a lot of money does not guarantee robustness either. There are a lot of expensive scopes that have gone down at comps.

Ask the guys who do comps here which scopes survive. You'll have to take some of the response with a grain of salt because apparently there's *LOT* of ego involved in this topic for some people and they just cannot be objective.

Not sure what kind of comps you're thinking of doing, but for most tactical type shooting you're going to want FFP and that puts you a lot closer to $2500 than $1500 with a new NF F1. (I see Steve beat me to that...
grin.gif
)

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoinarien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thoughts? Is nightforce THAT much better? </div></div>

Short answer, yes. I have a PST and while it is a great scope and I love it, it is not comparable to a NF.

For FFP and your budget I would consider a Bushnell HDMR, SS 5-20 and the PST. If lucky you might find a used Razor for a lil more than your budget.

Your not going to get a Nightforce FFP anywhere close to that, new or used.

BnC

It will also depend on the range you need. I know nightforce has at least 20 more moa of elevation than vortex pst. I have never heard ot read about anyone that did not like nightforce after they purchaed it

The PST is a great scope for the money

The Vortex PST 6-24x50 will run with the Vortex Razor, Premier and Night Force as far as performance out to 1000 when shooting paper and steel off of benches and prone it can handle being ruff up some, once reaching the extended distances of 1000 and beyond the - yet higher end scopes start to exhibited their capabilities in pulling in detail further more at the extended distances, and yes compared to the extreme abuse, the others will prevail do to evident construction at a certain point. But for the biggest bang for the buck for general use it’s hard to not consider the PST 6-24x50

As far as vertical travel a lot of the scopes combined with a 20 moa rail will get you out and beyond your intended targets within reason, even the 308 shooting 168 gr Amax rounds is able to hit steel at 1168 with the PST 4-16x50 using a 20 moa rail, I cant remember where he ran out of vertical travel after that, but there’s an example.

A lot of good scopes available Good Luck

Nightforce and PST should NOT be in the same sentence. We had a bunch of these threads when the PST first released; I think people had unrealistic expectations because of the hype surrounding this optic and while it's a quality optic, it's not, nor will it ever be, a competitor to NF.

Having owned both, I will spend the extra money on a Nightforce 11 times outta 10.

The Viper PST FFP scope is a great scope for the money. I have several and love them. Nightforce is a 100 times better but if you are planning to go with a NF FFP version I would recommend saving a little extra scratch and upgrade to a Schmidt & Bender. They are well worth the hundreds more over the NF.

Just my .2

I have a NF 5.5-22x56 for my .308 and I just got a Vortex PST 4-16 for my AR-15. Looking through the glass I can tell that the Parallax adjustment on the NF is more crisp, the overall picture and detail is more crisp in general, the turrets on the NF just feel more solid (PST isn't bad at all, Im just comparing), and holding them both you can just tell the NF is no joke. Now I probably should be comparing the Razor to the NF since those two are more along the lines of being equal but I guess there is also something to be said about NF not having a "lower end" group of scopes.

If you can afford the Nightforce, get the Nightforce. If you cannot, then get the PST. I own both, and I'm happy with both.

I have never had the chance to hold a NF in my hands but some day. A Luepold Mk 4 is about as high on the level of scopes that I would go as saying that a PST is comparible to, and what it may lack the customer service and no b.s. warranty in my .02 makes up for it but some may argue with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have never had the chance to hold a NF in my hands but some day. A Luepold Mk 4 is about as high on the level of scopes that I would go as saying that a PST is comparible to, and what it may lack the customer service and no b.s. warranty in my .02 makes up for it but some may argue with that.
</div></div>

I agree if Im understand this ^ correctly. The Mark 4 used to be the best in my eyes until I started learning and becoming more educated now opinions have changed. At this point Id take a PST FFP hands down over a mark 4 I just think the warranty is very valuable and optics seem to be similar in quality but the Vipers cost less. Just my opinion. Until this past week the nicest optic I had owned was a Leupold Mark 2 now called the mark AR 6-18x40. While it was a good scope its still only a $500 optic with a 1" tube and 40mm objective. This past week a new Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16 MOA reticle showed up as well as a rifle that I bought which is topped off with a 3.5-15x56 NXS. Havent played with either much but overall yes the nightforce is better quality feeling looks glass is a little more crisp maybe. Now dont get me wrong at the price Im thrilled with the Vortex and expect it will be an excellent scope however the nightforce is better depending on your application it might not be worth the extra cost but I will pass on the advice I got. Get the best glass you can afford. Somone whom I respect and I know has experience in this arena told me having good glass is everything he said hed rather have a $600 factory rifle with $3k glass on it than the coolest customized $4k rifle topped with a cheap scope.

for under 1k, the PST is great, or some of the bushnells, for over 1k to 1500, the HDMR and SS, for 1600+, look at used razors or NXS

Man, I wanted a PST for a long time. Finally got one last fall, 2.5x10, and after getting out and using it at multiple ranges out to 1k, I am disappointed in the glass quality. Looking at 1 inch white squares at 100yds, I had a really hard time isolating .308 holes, and the squares had a little smearing appearance. I have 20/15 vision. It also has distortion at the edges that I don't see on some of my cheaper optics. Does anyone else have lack of clarity or distortion at the edges with their PST?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MattK287</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I wanted a PST for a long time. Finally got one last fall, 2.5x10, and after getting out and using it at multiple ranges out to 1k, I am disappointed in the glass quality. Looking at 1 inch white squares at 100yds, I had a really hard time isolating .308 holes, and the squares had a little smearing appearance. I have 20/15 vision. It also has distortion at the edges that I don't see on some of my cheaper optics. Does anyone else have lack of clarity or distortion at the edges with their PST? </div></div>

i have 3 and dont have that issue. call vortex and see what they say

MattK287,

I too was disappointed with the clarity and focus issues I experienced with my PST. Very good fetters and decent glass for the price but just does not compete with the glass clarity of a Nightforce. I had a hard time justify the price difference but eventually sold the PST for the Nightforce and wish I would have done it sooner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MattK287</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I wanted a PST for a long time. Finally got one last fall, 2.5x10, and after getting out and using it at multiple ranges out to 1k, I am disappointed in the glass quality. Looking at 1 inch white squares at 100yds, I had a really hard time isolating .308 holes, and the squares had a little smearing appearance. I have 20/15 vision. It also has distortion at the edges that I don't see on some of my cheaper optics. Does anyone else have lack of clarity or distortion at the edges with their PST? </div></div>

Call Vortex. They will take care of your problem. There mission is to have happy owners. They took care of my in 7 days total.
I bought from anther Hide member and arrived broken. They said send it in we will fix of replace and they did.
They bought alot loyalty from me. I;m going through my collection and replacing with Vortex. It just gives me confidence?

I tried the Vortex 6-24x and I was pleasantly surprised. I did not like the glass in 24x mode, too dark and not crisp.. but at 2/3rd of that, it was not too bad, comparable to my 15x NightForce. At least to me it was comparable.

u can get a razor for about 1600 "used" on here. i seen em brand new on here for 1600. u wont be disapointed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried the Vortex 6-24x and I was pleasantly surprised. I did not like the glass in 24x mode, too dark and not crisp.. but at 2/3rd of that, it was not too bad, comparable to my 15x NightForce. At least to me it was comparable. </div></div>

Same here. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't like the 6-24 at the extremes (6x and 24x) but everywhere in between is great for the price. It's not a Nightforce, but they're not supposed to be in the same class.

I went from NF NXS to USO to Vortex Razor HD.......... i do miss the NF, but like the more friendly Razor.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went from NF NXS to USO to Vortex Razor HD.......... i do miss the NF, but like the more friendly Razor..... </div></div>

Hey Wolf, what are planning to get to replace your Razor? I saw your had it for sale on one of your postings.

I also own a Vortex PST 2.5-10X44 and although it is a nice scope with very nice features and at a good price level, I wish it had sharper glass. A friend of mine who has owned SWFA SS scopes and swears by them bugged the hell out of me to try one of his scopes. I"m here to say that I was really surprised how well the SS tracked and I found the glass was sharper than the PST. I liked it so much I ordered a SS 10X w/side focus. I can't say I have a lot of experience on this topic I'm just adding my tow cents bases on my own experience.

1500 to me says one of two things.

Bushnell HDMR or IOR 3-18x42 (non-illum model)

Excellent glass in both, excellent reticles in both.
When you consider the IOR comes with a very high quality rings, the price is a wash between the two.

Take your pick between the two and you will be very happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MattK287</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I wanted a PST for a long time. Finally got one last fall, 2.5x10, and after getting out and using it at multiple ranges out to 1k, I am disappointed in the glass quality. Looking at 1 inch white squares at 100yds, I had a really hard time isolating .308 holes, and the squares had a little smearing appearance. I have 20/15 vision. It also has distortion at the edges that I don't see on some of my cheaper optics. Does anyone else have lack of clarity or distortion at the edges with their PST? </div></div>

Call Vortex. They will take care of your problem. There mission is to have happy owners. They took care of my in 7 days total.
I bought from anther Hide member and arrived broken. They said send it in we will fix of replace and they did.
They bought alot loyalty from me. I;m going through my collection and replacing with Vortex. It just gives me confidence? </div></div>My PST Got back from Vortex last week. and I went out shooting today with it. Vortex told me that they cleaned the lenses. I've come to the conclusion that the glass quality just isn't there. Shooting alongside Nikon Buckmaster, Burris Fullfield II, and Nikon Prostaff. Even the lowly Prostaff edged out the PST in clarity and light transmission, with the Buckmaster blowing it away. I am pretty disappointed, and will be selling this scope at a loss. There are a lot of cool features on this optic, but not cool enough to justify being lower glass quality than a $160.00 entry level Nikon. The customer service was great, and the turnaround time was amazing.

I have owned 3 nf 3.5-15x56 and 1 pst 4-16 ffp. The pst glass was dark. It was immediately returned after comparing it to a 4200 and millet one evening. The millet was still very useable when the pst had to be put away. I also no longer own any of the nxs's either. They did feel very well constructed and tracked perfect, however for what I paid for them I felt that the glass was flat and lacked any color. I understand I am in the minority here and that is fine. My next $1k-$1500 optic purchase will probably be either a 5-20SS or HDMR. I absolutely can not afford a S&B and sadly my 5R 20" is sitting with no scope until I can afford some type of replacement.

I will say this, my pst experience was pretty bad but my buddy ordered a 4-16 SFP that looks better. I have not had a chance to compare it against other scopes but I felt his glass was brighter than mine. When I returned mine I asked the dealer to inspect and compare against another in stock and he claims it looked fine. After all the hype I was greatly disappointed. It is feature rich but sub par glass. The one that still kills me is when guys claim it to be as good or better than mk4. I would have been very pleased if that had been the case for $800.