• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Radian tripods

Nittynate

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2018
Can I get some reviews or thoughts on the new Vortex Radian tripods? Is it comparable to RRS? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

It is not comparable to an RRS. The RRS might cost 3X as much, and it isn’t 3X as good, but it is damn sure more stable. Whether it’s worth the difference is up to you.

I’ve got both, I shoot off the RRS TFCT and keep my spotting rig on the Leofoto with an RRS ball head. When I put the gun on the Leofoto it’s definitely less stable. I have no buyers remorse on the RRS after using both.

I had the Leofoto 364c, which is definitely not as solid as better tripods. The joints have a cheap plastic piece on the inside that kept breaking and the legs would pull all the way off. I ended up buying a bunch of replacement pieces for it as I broke 3 of them in two years.. The Radian is the same tripod..

The most comparable tripod to the RRS without paying RRS prices is the Two Vets QDT. Its a 2 piece large diameter leg with aluminum joint components. Its absolutely rock solid.

Reactions: st1650
FWIW RRS has the same plastic shims for leg stops. I’ve got one that fell out of my $1500 tripod when I pulled the legs out. They went flying, but I was able to find one in the rocks and it works with a single shim. I need to get it fixed.

Virtually every twist-lock tripod and trekking pole on Earth uses that design.

The most comparable tripod to the RRS without paying RRS prices is the Two Vets QDT. Its a 2 piece large diameter leg with aluminum joint components. Its absolutely rock solid.
Jesus, they could sure use somebody proofreading their site before they hit ENTER though! Haha

FWIW RRS has the same plastic shims for leg stops. I’ve got one that fell out of my $1500 tripod when I pulled the legs out. They went flying, but I was able to find one in the rocks and it works with a single shim. I need to get it fixed.

Virtually every twist-lock tripod and trekking pole on Earth uses that design.

I do know a shooter in Utah who has broken his RRS legs several times. He hasn't been happy about it.

Yeah, I probably extended the leg a little hard, but I do wish the little shims were retained somehow.

Can I get some reviews or thoughts on the new Vortex Radian tripods? Is it comparable to RRS? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Don't have an RRS as I have never had as much of a need for a tripod to spend that much but the Radian comes with a ball head option or a leveling head option. I like the leveling head. Yes it is plenty stable to shot off of and I actually like it a little more than my Two Vets No Name, which is a good tripod too.

Here's a pic of my Vudoo in the tripod. Also below is some pics of the Radian next to the Two Vets for size and description comparison.

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1281.jpgIMG_1280.jpgIMG_1276.jpgIMG_1277.jpg

Reactions: Holliday
Supporting your bump, also on the fence. I hear both sides of the argument, but I feel like some people are a bit reactionary without ever having seen the tripod in person.

Anyone with time on these tripods yet? I'm interested to see how these things hold up after the honeymoon phase.

Revive this thread.

I have a 30% off vortex map coupon for Euro optics, I am considering a good tripod for long range gong and hunting. With my coupon the Radian is only $600. Eventually I would like 2 tripods one for the secondary spotting rifle and the other for the shooter, my funds are not super plentiful so the price/value for $600 seems right for the first tripod.

What do you think?

A deal is only a deal if the product in question is what you need/want to do the job at hand.

If you have a few moments to call and speak with us about different options and pricing. Joel is our resident tripod guru and can work with you. Maybe the 30% off at Euro is the best way for you to, maybe you can use it for a different Vortex product instead of a tripod.

Glad to assist if we can

Reactions: svxwilson
Revive this thread.

I have a 30% off vortex map coupon for Euro optics, I am considering a good tripod for long range gong and hunting. With my coupon the Radian is only $600. Eventually I would like 2 tripods one for the secondary spotting rifle and the other for the shooter, my funds are not super plentiful so the price/value for $600 seems right for the first tripod.

What do you think?

If it's in your price range I don't think you would be disappointed at all. Remeber it's not just a tripod but also either the leveling head or ball head with it. Some tripods come with just the tripod and it's more to put a head on it so watch that if shopping around.

Reactions: svxwilson
@Rob01 and anyone else with input.
Do you have any thoughts on the leveling head vs the ball head?
I use atlas PRS Bipods for most of my shooting currently. The majority of my shooting is from prone and bench, typically with a rear bag for precision or loose the bag for tactical practice.
I would like the tripod to work well for precision shooting from prone, kneeling, sitting, standing positions etc.
Leaning towards the ball head. I feel it is more similar to a Atlas.... but I have never used a tripod other than very cheap ones for light weight items. So I have no experience with one for my desired uses.

Last edited:
@Rob01
Do you have any thoughts on the leveling head vs the ball head?
I use atlas PRS Bipods for most of my shooting currently. The majority of my shooting is from prone and bench, typically with a rear bag for precision or loose the bag for tactical practice.
I would like the tripod to work well for precision shooting from prone, kneeling, sitting, standing positions etc.
Leaning towards the ball head. I feel it is more similar to a Atlas.... but I have never used a tripod other than very cheap ones for light weight items. So I have no experience with one for my desired uses.
Not Rob01, but I use a tripod a bit.

For me, I like the leveling head more. Its not because its more stable or more better or more anything - its because of the control regime.

I'm able to reach under the tripod to grab the post on the leveling head and pull the whole tripod my way for stability - and keep my hand there. I can't do that with a knob on the side of the ball head.

I use a Pig saddle though, since I like being able to jam lots of weird shit in there. And it makes up some for the flexibility of the ball head I lose when I'm doing the leveling head.

I agree with the King. I like the leveling head for simplicity and ease of use. I slide my arca rail in and it locks down and go. If you would have to take higher angle shots then the ball head would be better but the leveling head will do what most use the tripod for including myself. Both work though and comes down to personal preference really.

I’ve had mine for 8 months now. No issues at all and it’s very solid. I attach my pig saddle to it all the time and shoot heavy AR10 and bolt guns. I run razor spotting scope and razor binos off it. I personally can’t see a reason to pay extra for the RRS. At least not the ones I’ve used

The other shocking thing is how fucking light this shit is these days. I regularly carry a tripod in an armageddon scabbard instead of 10 bags.

I had the Leofoto 364c, which is definitely not as solid as better tripods. The joints have a cheap plastic piece on the inside that kept breaking and the legs would pull all the way off. I ended up buying a bunch of replacement pieces for it as I broke 3 of them in two years.. The Radian is the same tripod..

I had the exact same issue with my Leofoto. The plastic joints keep breaking and it’s a pain to get replacements. It’s too bad cause the legs themselves are really nice and it’s a sturdy platform.
good to know vortex is rebranding them, makes it easier to find spare parts I guess.

Also for me. The best of both worlds for the money - leofoto/vortex legs and a RRS Anvil ball head.
the anvil is worth every dollar in my mind. The RRS tripod legs are nice but I’d rather buy powder and projos. It’s 3x the cost of the leofoto. Yes it’s better. Not sure if it’s 3 times better.